LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

The Baseball Hall of Fame

With the most controversial HOF vote just 2 hours away I wanted to see what others think about who should be in and who shouldnt. Should steroids eliminate a player entirely? What about players like Craig Biggio that was never a superstar but put up 3000 hits because of longevity?

Here are the players and my thoughts:

Barry Bonds - YES. Hall of Famer before the Roids era and one of the greatest hitters ever. Jerk yes but he has to be in
Roger Clemens YES Same as Bonds. One of the top 10 pitchers to ever play the game. Has to be in
Mike Piazza YES Greatest hitting catcher of all time who has never had any roids proven against him.
Curt Schilling YES Dominant pitcher in the roids era who was one of the greatest ever in the post season
Craig Biggio Yes Makes it for me because of 3000 hits and because he played C, 2b, and CF and was so solid at all the spots

Sammy Sosa NO Yes he hit 600 homers but in my opinion there is NO way he would have sniffed that without roids.
Mark McGwire NO See above. Not close to being a great player without the roids
Jack Morris NO I just cant put a guy in whose ERA was around 4. VERY good pitcher but not HOF
Jeff Bagwell NO Close though. I just never thought of him as a superstar. Could be swayed on him
Rafael Palmeiro NO If he gets in they need to close the HOF.

My guess for today... Biggio is the only guy elected.
I agree with all your votes, except I would vote for Bagwell to be in. His numbers, though not eye popping, are still very solid and was very consistent for almost the entire duration of his career.

You know who I would love to see get in, Alan Trammell.

Out of the list you provided, I think Biggio and Piazza make it in today.
I agree with you except id add McGwire, dude smashed 49 HRs as a rookie, back when he was skinny, Was he on steroids then? Im not sure when the accusations of steroid use started with him.

Homer in me also would add Dale Murphy to the list
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
With the most controversial HOF vote just 2 hours away I wanted to see what others think about who should be in and who shouldnt. Should steroids eliminate a player entirely? What about players like Craig Biggio that was never a superstar but put up 3000 hits because of longevity?

Here are the players and my thoughts:

Barry Bonds - NO
Roger Clemens NO
Mike Piazza YES Greatest hitting catcher of all time who has never had any roids proven against him.
Curt Schilling YES Dominant pitcher in the roids era who was one of the greatest ever in the post season
Craig Biggio Yes Makes it for me because of 3000 hits and because he played C, 2b, and CF and was so solid at all the spots

Sammy Sosa NO Yes he hit 600 homers but in my opinion there is NO way he would have sniffed that without roids.
Mark McGwire NO See above. Not close to being a great player without the roids
Jack Morris NO I just cant put a guy in whose ERA was around 4. VERY good pitcher but not HOF
Jeff Bagwell NO Close though. I just never thought of him as a superstar. Could be swayed on him
Rafael Palmeiro NO If he gets in they need to close the HOF.

My guess for today... Biggio is the only guy elected.

Updated. I believe we have to move past suspicion, and into "proof". You did it, you dont get in. I dont care how great you were before (Bonds, Clemens, ARod).

There should be some punishment after being rewarded with millions of dollars for taking PEDs.

Just my opinion though. Whatever happens, happens.
Originally posted by Valrod33:
I agree with you except id add McGwire, dude smashed 49 HRs as a rookie, back when he was skinny, Was he on steroids then? Im not sure when the accusations of steroid use started with him.

Homer in me also would add Dale Murphy to the list

Dale Murphy just didnt do it long enough but there is no doubt he was a great player. AND.. a great guy. As for Mac, look at his numbers before he went crazy on roids. Average in consecutive years... .231 .235 .201 and homers in the 30s each year. Yes, he had a great rookie year but I dont believe he would have come close to HOF standards without the juice.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Updated. I believe we have to move past suspicion, and into "proof". You did it, you dont get in. I dont care how great you were before (Bonds, Clemens, ARod).

There should be some punishment after being rewarded with millions of dollars for taking PEDs.

Just my opinion though. Whatever happens, happens.

I understand that opinion but I still have a hard time with a HOF that doesnt include the greatest hitter and pitcher in a generation when they were HOF worthy before any roids era. We all know that baseball players have cheated to some extent with spitballs, greenies, corked bats, etc. If Gaylord Perry can get elected shouldnt Barry Bonds?

Many people share your thoughts Rubber and its why Bonds may never get in.
Here is my deal, if they let one in, they have to let all the great steroided players in. It would just recommend that era of baseball. Or you can Pete Rose that ass...who I think should be in now.

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Here is my deal, if they let one in, they have to let all the great steroided players in. It would just recommend that era of baseball. Or you can Pete Rose that ass...who I think should be in now.

You dont mind that someone like Sammy Sosa was not close to a HOF player but suddenly hit 60 homers 3 times?
[ Edited by schmons on Jan 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM ]

id vote for pete rose. mlb hof voters sound like delirious old men doe
Lol shutout
shows what a joke the baseball hall of fame is
Originally posted by Valrod33:
Lol shutout

Crazy
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Still no Lee Smith
Share 49ersWebzone