LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Pop Warner Football (The future of the NFL)

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
That's cool, do you follow the program? I looked them up online and I see they are in the same division as Steve Stenstrom's kid. How is that Redwood City 49ers program and did that program help to develope Edleman or was he already a stud when he got there?

His dad was the coach. So I'm sure he had been coached up by him mostly.
We just had a lot of great players. none others, to my knowledge made it to the NFL, but probably college players.

I think it was just a perfect storm of coaches/players. I don't think the program is really anything special, I haven't followed it though.
San Jose has the best teams always, Oak Grove.
Originally posted by Garcia:
That's cool, do you follow the program? I looked them up online and I see they are in the same division as Steve Stenstrom's kid. How is that Redwood City 49ers program and did that program help to develope Edleman or was he already a stud when he got there?

His dad was the coach. So I'm sure he had been coached up by him mostly.
We just had a lot of great players. none others, to my knowledge made it to the NFL, but probably college players.

I think it was just a perfect storm of coaches/players. I don't think the program is really anything special, I haven't followed it though.
San Jose has the best teams always, Oak Grove.

I looked online and that San Jose team (Oak Grove) plays in another league, do Pop Warner teams play against other youth football leagues?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I looked online and that San Jose team (Oak Grove) plays in another league, do Pop Warner teams play against other youth football leagues?

in the playoffs.... they were always there and most of the time beat us.

Looking at the peninsula pop warner league, it seems as though Oakland is the team to beat. I don't think that San Jose team is in the peninsula pop warner league, check out the teams here; http://www.ppwls.com/associations.html

Looking at the peninsula pop warner league, it seems as though Oakland is the team to beat. I don't think that San Jose team is in the peninsula pop warner league, check out the teams here; http://www.ppwls.com/associations.html

I now consider myself a Pop Warner Guru, NOT!

I am going to support the kids this year by going out to some games. The peninsula pop warner league is the league I am targeting this year. Any coaches or players from this league here on the WZ? If so let me know what you are doing this year so that I can come out and see the future of the NFL.
[ Edited by glorydayz on Jul 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM ]
Check out the scores from last weeks pop warner games in the peninsula pop warner league here; http://www.ppwls.com/scores/2013/2013_jamboree.pdf

If you have or know a kid that plays post updates in this thread, I'm looking for the next Julian Edellman or Jerry Rice!
[ Edited by glorydayz on Sep 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM ]
Considering that Pop Warner is the biggest kids football program in America, and almost every NFL player started playing the game young, its not really a surprise that 75% played.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Considering that Pop Warner is the biggest kids football program in America, and almost every NFL player started playing the game young, its not really a surprise that 75% played.

Pop Warner is the biggest youth football program in America? I would have thought there were many other league's.

Pop Warner seems to be the best kept secret out there, you look at this thread and the lack of responses. I am excited about this league because I like the sport, so I am now following a few of the local teams. How aware are city's when it comes to PW? Do most people even know if their city has a Pop Warner team?

Pop Warner is the biggest youth football program in America? I would have thought there were many other league's.

Pop Warner seems to be the best kept secret out there, you look at this thread and the lack of responses. I am excited about this league because I like the sport, so I am now following a few of the local teams. How aware are city's when it comes to PW? Do most people even know if their city has a Pop Warner team?

Little League Baseball?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
the pop warner leagues around us are lame you need to play two years of flag football before you play tackle lol

so glade we moved my kids to the better school in the area

they have tackle teams starting with the 3rd/4th graders no need for pop warner

Sometimes Pop Warner is used (misused) as a generic term for "youth football". Pop Warner is not that big in the Bay Area or No Cal for that matter. There's Peninsula PW, which is mostly Peninsula/South Bay, and I think that's about it. There's a couple East Bay teams in that PW league, but by far more East Bay kids play in non-PW leagues, e.g. Diablo Valley Youth Football.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I could never play when I was a kid (In late 60's early 70's) they had ridiculously low weight limits. I would not consider myself more that average size until I hit High School, but I was always too heavy for Pop Warner or Jr All American. No tackle at the Jr High level where I lived either, played one year of flag in 6th grade, totally lame.
It's that time of year again!

Football season is here so don't forget to go out and support your local Pop Warner team. Our sport (Football) is under attack and could be gone in the next 20 years due to brain injury research. I have learned a lot about youth football since I started this thread a few years ago. This level will change the game, and keep our favorite pastime alive and well by incorporating "Heads Up Football" Techniques to all youth football programs through USA Football.

For the life of me I cannot see how boxing isn't under attack at all, while football is now synonymous with head injuries.
Share 49ersWebzone