LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Is it time for the Yankees to cut ARod?

Another hip operation, this time on the other side. Six years in a row on the IR. Speculation is that he could return by July at the latest. His stats have fallen off the cliff the past few years and even the notion of him being an average player upon return is open to debate. The chances of him breaking home run records could be just a dream at this point. He's always projected the image of being a me first player. It seems the Yankees are not going to get much on their investment so is it time to cut the losses and let him walk?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
They owe him a 100 million.... thats a tough pill to swallow regardless. He can come back and still be semi-productive later next year and who knows maybe he gets better the following.

If I'm the Yanks and Im not cutting him regardless.

Only way he's off the team is by trade, IMO.
Originally posted by Garcia:
They owe him a 100 million.... thats a tough pill to swallow regardless. He can come back and still be semi-productive later next year and who knows maybe he gets better the following.

Even if he's traded no team will take on that salary, the Yankees must pay regardless.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Even if he's traded no team will take on that salary, the Yankees must pay regardless.

Yea, I think the yanks would be willing to pay part if not most of the salary in return for some players but not just cutting their losses and getting nothing.

I think when the talks with Miami were rumored, they were saying the yankees were gonna have to pay a big chunk of the salary owed to him. There's no way in hell they straight up just cut him.

Seems like this thread would have made a much better "post" in the MLB thread.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

With that being said, why wouldnt you try to trade him if the Yankees are paying his salary regardless? LOL

The Yankees should try to trade ARod. See if anyone would take on maybe 1/3 of his salary. $113M/5 years is what is left on his contract. Why would the Yankees be willing to dump that for nothing? What if a team Would be willing to pay 7 mil a year for the rest of his contract? Hell, what if a team was willing to pay 4 mil a year for the rest of his contract? That certainly would be better than cutting him all together right?
Whether its time or not is only secondary to the almighty $$$$. I really felt good about keeping him cuz he can sti be productive but it will be a damn shame if all we will see from here out is him going on/off DL. We all know he sees sports head shrinks and I hope he doesn't just use the DL as a way to help 'cope.' It would seem he and other athletes just aren't wiing to play through pain as in years past ??
Share 49ersWebzone