There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alabama vs Notre Dame: BCS Championship

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
the argument isnt if NFL rookies are NFL talent.

The argument is that Alabama can beat an NFL team when only 4-5 players are NFL starter material right now (1st rounders) and only about 10 or so players are NFL ready (draft wise).

The rest of Alabama may one day be NFL ready, but at this point in time they are not ALL ready

By the same standards, the Chief, Raiders and Jags aren't NFL-ready either. They're not even competitive most weeks and a lot of their players wouldn't start on Bama's team.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
the argument isnt if NFL rookies are NFL talent.

The argument is that Alabama can beat an NFL team when only 4-5 players are NFL starter material right now (1st rounders) and only about 10 or so players are NFL ready (draft wise).

The rest of Alabama may one day be NFL ready, but at this point in time they are not ALL ready

By the same standards, the Chief, Raiders and Jags aren't NFL-ready either. They're not even competitive most weeks and a lot of their players wouldn't start on Bama's team.

exactly!!!

and these teams are made up of a bunch of 1st round and 2nd round talent
Simple question, and one I can't answer because I don't follow the draft prospects closely enough.

How many players on Alabama would make KC's 53 man roster today? I'm not talking about guys with potential that may turn out to be something, I mean guys that would take another man's job today if they could.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Simple question, and one I can't answer because I don't follow the draft prospects closely enough.

How many players on Alabama would make KC's 53 man roster today? I'm not talking about guys with potential that may turn out to be something, I mean guys that would take another man's job today if they could.

im not sure but I would guess not many

Today? Top 13 players IMO on Alabama

QB A.J. McCarron - honestly don't see much difference between him and KC's 2 other starters who I think are awful. He'd probably start since he isn't a turnover machine like Brady Quinn.
WR Amari Cooper - #2 WR behind Bowe
LT Cyrus Kouandjio - would make the team as a backup tackle
LG Chance Warmack - would start
C Barrett Jones - would start
RT D.J. Fluker - would probably move inside and start
RB Eddie Lacy -would be the #2 RB, splitting time with Charles
RB T.J. Yeldon - if Lacy's on the team, he would make the roster as #3 RB, if Lacy isn't he would split time with Charless
NT Jesse Williams - would start over Dontari Poe
ILB Nico Johnson - start over Siler
LB C.J. Mosley - start over OLB Justin Houston
CB Dee Milliner - hmmm, I'd say nickelback
S Robert Lester - compete with Kendrick Lewis to start, probably back him up in year 1

edit: Anyone look at KC's depth chart recently? That is really depressing, lol. I mean I just said a college true FRESHMAN would be the Chiefs #2 WR, and honestly I think he would
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

QB A.J. McCarron - honestly don't see much difference between him and KC's 2 other starters who I think are awful. He'd probably start since he isn't a turnover machine like Brady Quinn.
RB T.J. Yeldon - if Lacy's on the team, he would make the roster as #3 RB, if Lacy isn't he would split time with Charless
S Robert Lester - compete with Kendrick Lewis to start, probably back him up in year 1

edit: Anyone look at KC's depth chart recently? That is really depressing, lol. I mean I just said a college true FRESHMAN would be the Chiefs #2 WR, and honestly I think he would

KC was in the playoffs 2 years ago. Man, things change fast in the NFL...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
ND got beat down, doe.
Originally posted by strickac:
Go back and check out Bama's 2010 depth chart. Looking at the starters and the the backups (then), it's loaded with early round NFL talent. The players currently on the roster are no different. Guys like Lacy and Yeldon are just as talented as the Ingrams and Richardsons, they're just not as we'll known yet. Bama is as deep as any team in the nation. They scoop up a handful of the best players in the country every year.

I understand the argument that NFL players are the best draftable players in the country and better than standard college kids; however, your average NFL team may only have about 5 first round picks on the roster. Alabama is pumping out 3-5 1st-2nd round picks every year. The talent is there.

Personally I think the huge difference is professional preparation and Bama is unique in that they are basically an NFL training school. Lets face it, an 8th grader has the smarts to get a degree in Alabama. They are the closest thing to a professional team in the NCAA. Saban has them ready every week and out smarts opponents every week. It's rare that they have a competitive game. If Alabama kept they're players (rather than sending them to the NFL), they'd have a Pro Bowl team caliber team in a few short years.

Look at an older roster as a snapshot of how many current/projected NFL players you see. It's pretty remarkable how well Saban has recruited. His team is loaded with NFL-caliber talent. Most of his starters go pro. On any pro roster there's a few guys that are just there for lack of a better player. Thankfully, we've purged the roster of our Snyders and Rachals. Plus, while the general perception is that NFL players were star college players, that's far from the truth. After the 2nd round, the vast majority of players selected were good, not great college players.

As talented as Alabama is, they have been that way for a while. But look at their recent College STARS that went to the NFL.

Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram: Back up running back in the NFL

Shut down Corner, 1st Round Draft Pick Dre Kirkpatrick: Barely even dressed on Sundays for the Bengals

Dominant Marcel Dareus: Still hasn't done anything significant in THREE years for the Bills who we just rushed for 300 yards against

Highly Proficient Greg Mcelroy: Sits behind two of the WORST NFL QB's in Sanchez and Tebow

Explosive Julio Jones JUST had a great SECOND season. Did he dominant coming straight out of college though? Absolutely not!

And this is just talking about Alabama. Look at the other dominant college players like the Reggie Bush's, the Tim Tebow's, the Rashaun Woods . Dominating in College is just that, COLLEGE.. whole different ball game IF you can get to the pro level, mentally and physically. Ask Rolando McClain, another talented Alabama player who is a head case and really isn't that good

Point being, the game is so much faster and an NFL defense would destroy a college offense. If a college O-Lineman gives up a sack or gets blown up by a college D-lineman, even if it's just a couple times a game, what makes you think they wouldn't get DOMINATED by an NFL defensive lineman?? An NFL defense would close Alabama's pocket so quick, it wouldn't be funny. The SEC produces the best defense in the nation but those teams, who end up sending about 5 players off of that defense to the league in the following season, would not be able to be enough vs 11 pro players who made the team. The numbers just won't add up and it would be a slaughter house.
[ Edited by Sims84 on Jan 9, 2013 at 4:26 AM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

The thing about this is that coaching and gameplan make a team look a certain way. A year or 2 ago, the chiefs roster looked the same and they were a lot more competitive. When they went down the Romeo Crennel route, they started to look pathetic. As pathethic as the Chiefs look, In the NFL defenses are so fast that you have to throw into tight windows and timed routes. In college, Qb's throw to wide open guys. The NFL game is just so much faster and complex...

Romeo may be a dud head coach but he is a great D coordinator. If he had to gameplan for one bragging rights game against Bama, he would call crazy Blitzes that McCarron has never even seen before. As good as everyone looks behind Bama's Oline, Bama when they play better teams, still gives up sacks and INT's and the score is a lot closer. Bama gave up 3 sacks to LSU... If Bama had to play the lowly Chiefs, they would have to move the football against Hali, Berry, Houston, Flowers, Jackson, Dorsey, Johnson, etc... I think it would get out of control real fast.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
The thing about this is that coaching and gameplan make a team look a certain way. A year or 2 ago, the chiefs roster looked the same and they were a lot more competitive. When they went down the Romeo Crennel route, they started to look pathetic. As pathethic as the Chiefs look, In the NFL defenses are so fast that you have to throw into tight windows and timed routes. In college, Qb's throw to wide open guys. The NFL game is just so much faster and complex...

Romeo may be a dud head coach but he is a great D coordinator. If he had to gameplan for one bragging rights game against Bama, he would call crazy Blitzes that McCarron has never even seen before. As good as everyone looks behind Bama's Oline, Bama when they play better teams, still gives up sacks and INT's and the score is a lot closer. Bama gave up 3 sacks to LSU... If Bama had to play the lowly Chiefs, they would have to move the football against Hali, Berry, Houston, Flowers, Jackson, Dorsey, Johnson, etc... I think it would get out of control real fast.

I would say the Chiefs starters are half legitimate starters and good players. The other half is pretty bad or young guys that haven't earned their keep yet.

Grabbing a good QB and good OLB (ie trade for a backup QB that can start and draft Jarvis Jones) would improve them pretty fast. Then maybe go for C Barret Jones in the 2nd if he is still available since their Center is retiring.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Sims84:
As talented as Alabama is, they have been that way for a while. But look at their recent College STARS that went to the NFL.

Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram: Back up running back in the NFL

Shut down Corner, 1st Round Draft Pick Dre Kirkpatrick: Barely even dressed on Sundays for the Bengals

Dominant Marcel Dareus: Still hasn't done anything significant in THREE years for the Bills who we just rushed for 300 yards against

Highly Proficient Greg Mcelroy: Sits behind two of the WORST NFL QB's in Sanchez and Tebow

Explosive Julio Jones JUST had a great SECOND season. Did he dominant coming straight out of college though? Absolutely not!

And this is just talking about Alabama. Look at the other dominant college players like the Reggie Bush's, the Tim Tebow's, the Rashaun Woods . Dominating in College is just that, COLLEGE.. whole different ball game IF you can get to the pro level, mentally and physically. Ask Rolando McClain, another talented Alabama player who is a head case and really isn't that good

Point being, the game is so much faster and an NFL defense would destroy a college offense. If a college O-Lineman gives up a sack or gets blown up by a college D-lineman, even if it's just a couple times a game, what makes you think they wouldn't get DOMINATED by an NFL defensive lineman?? An NFL defense would close Alabama's pocket so quick, it wouldn't be funny. The SEC produces the best defense in the nation but those teams, who end up sending about 5 players off of that defense to the league in the following season, would not be able to be enough vs 11 pro players who made the team. The numbers just won't add up and it would be a slaughter house.

Couldn't have said it better. People fail to realize a LOT of college stars go on to be mediocre or straight up busts in the NFL.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Couldn't have said it better. People fail to realize a LOT of college stars go on to be mediocre or straight up busts in the NFL.

And a lot of KC players are mediocre or straight up busts, lol.