haters gonna hate

You dont see anything wrong with giving a PED user 50+ million
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by jrg:
haters gonna hate

PED user or not, that's what the market for a SS is. Stephen Drew is out there and will make nearly the same.

I agree that it does look bad for the Cardinals and MLB in general to reward someone that was just caught cheating, but he was going to get that $ from someone. Had multiple offers on the table.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Also..deal is officially: Peralta deal with #STLCards officially 4 years, $53M (or $13.25M per season average).
haters gonna hate

PED user or not, that's what the market for a SS is. Stephen Drew is out there and will make nearly the same.

I agree that it does look bad for the Cardinals and MLB in general to reward someone that was just caught cheating, but he was going to get that $ from someone. Had multiple offers on the table.

Sure. SO let some douche franchise sign the guy. The Cards would have been much better off trading for a SS. They had the fire power to do it.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Good article regarding Peralta
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
haters gonna hate

Sure. SO let some douche franchise sign the guy. The Cards would have been much better off trading for a SS. They had the fire power to do it.

They do. But that doesn't mean they have to. They obviously wanted Tulowitzki, but that seemed like it wasn't happening. They're a much better team signing Peralta and keeping guys like Adams, Miller, Martinez, Rosenthal, Wong, Piscotty, Taveras, etc.

It may look bad, but it is what it is.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Cardinals factored in Jhonny Peralta's drug suspension when they negotiated a four-year deal worth more than $50 million with the free-agent shortstop.

General manager John Mozeliak said Monday that Peralta had admitted wrongdoing and served his penalty and that the Cardinals weren't about to appoint themselves morality "police." Mozeliak said the club was confident that this was an isolated circumstance.

"Character and makeup are something we weigh into our decision-making," Mozeliak said. "In his case, he admitted what he did, he took responsibility for it.

"I feel like he has paid for his mistakes, and obviously if he were to make another one, then it would be a huge disappointment."

The 31-year-old Peralta was suspended for 50 games last summer following Major League Baseball's investigation of the Biogenesis of America anti-aging clinic, which was accused of distributing banned performance-enhancing drugs to players.

Mozeliak agreed with critics that penalties aren't strict enough.

"You do need a deterrent, and right now 50 games does not seem to be necessarily stopping it," Mozeliak said.

But he also believed attitudes have changed.

"I think Major League Baseball has done a great job trying to clean up this game, and I feel like they've taken great steps," he said.

Mozeliak said in a statement Sunday that the Cardinals were "pleased" to sign Peralta, but the move drew a different reaction from some big leaguers.

Arizona Diamondbacks reliever Brad Ziegler, the team's union player representative, tweeted that "it pays to cheat" and chided owners for "encouraging PED use."

link
I would fully support a full 162 game ban on any player being busted for PEDs. Maybe a team wouldnt be so quick to offer a huge deal to a player that has missed a full year. It just seems ridiculous to me that a player can improve his performance in a year because of PEDs ( quite possible if you look at Peralta's 2012 season), just get banned 50 games, and then get to sign a huge deal which he NEVER would have gotten after his 2012 season.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would fully support a full 162 game ban on any player being busted for PEDs. Maybe a team wouldnt be so quick to offer a huge deal to a player that has missed a full year. It just seems ridiculous to me that a player can improve his performance in a year because of PEDs ( quite possible if you look at Peralta's 2012 season), just get banned 50 games, and then get to sign a huge deal which he NEVER would have gotten after his 2012 season.

I agree. Its a problem that starts at the top. This kinda s**t is a dark cloud over MLB in general. Guys shouldn't be able to cash in after this kind of stuff. The suspensions need to be harsher so guys will think twice before they do this crap. Not to mention A-Rod/PED use is consistently the top story for MLB. Can't look good for them. Check out these tweets from the article I posted above:

• jrg
  • Veteran
Breaking Down The Jhonny Peralta Signing

While many pundits expected a few deals in the four-year, $50-55MM range to be issued this offseason, few thought that Jhonny Peralta would be on the receiving end of such a lavish payday. Yet that's exactly what took place over the weekend, with the Cardinals agreeing to a four-year, $53MM contract with the former Tiger and Indian.

At first glance, Peralta's contract appears to be an alarming overpay, however that's more due to the fact that there was clearly a disconnect between his market value and the media perception of his worth. This isn't said to pat myself on the back by any means (I was off by $17MM on the total value of his contract, after all), but my own projection of three years and $36MM for Peralta was among the most aggressive numbers I saw around the baseball sphere when looking at other predictions. News that Peralta was seeking $56-75MM late last week was widely scoffed at by MLBTR readers both on Twitter and in the comments section of the post.

Reports have indicated that the Mets believed, initially, that they would be able to land Peralta on a two-year contract. They weren't the only ones thinking along those lines, as ESPN's Jim Bowden pegged him at two years and $20MM. Meanwhile, over at CBS Sports, Jon Heyman spoke to an agent and an unnammed GM, and that trio pegged Peralta in the two-year, $16-21MM range. When I presented my own three-year, $36MM prediction to MLBTR's Tim Dierkes as we were discussing the free agent profile series, he was struck by its aggressive nature.

As it turns out, I, like many others, failed to properly weigh three key components that played a vital role in Peralta's contract:

• The middle infield and third base markets offered little to no competition. Even with a limited number of teams looking to spend big on a free agent shortstop, the bar was set higher than any of us imagined, as the floor for Peralta appears to have been three years and $45MM.
  • Teams' strong desire to hang onto draft picks is likely greater than any of us have taken into account. Stephen Drew, who is connected to draft pick compensation after rejecting a qualifying offer, represents the only true everyday alternative to Peralta on the open market. The amount for which he signs will be one of the most interesting stories of the offseason from this point forth.
  • Teams may not be as hesitant to sign players connected to performance enhancing drugs as we would initially think. If this is the case, it's good news for Nelson Cruz and Bartolo Colon as they look to maximize their free agent paydays. I predicted three years and $39MM for Cruz and one year at $10MM for Colon in thei respective free agent profiles -- two projections that are feeling a bit light given the early direction of the free agent market.

From a performance standpoint, Peralta is a solid player that's probably deserving of a $13MM AAV. I won't rehash the fine work done by Eno Sarris and Dave Cameron over at Fangraphs in illustrating why a slightly above-average hitter (relative to the rest of the league, that is; Peralta dwarfs the average shortstop in terms of offensive prowess) and a reliable defensive shortstop is worth such an investment, or why this is the going rate for such players.

While many will be quick to label this contract an "overpay," we need to be more mindful of what that term really means. Should an "overpay" be defined by our own expectations, or should it be defined by the possibilities within the structure of a given free agent market? Each free agent market is its own animal, unique in nature and unlikely to be repeated. In this instance, a three-year deal likely wasn't happening, and there are even reports that have indicated Peralta left money on the table to join a stacked Cardinals organization. If that's the case, Peralta's signing is likely a bargain relative to the realm of realistic possibilities, even if it's an eye-popping number for which most of the world was ill-prepared. Kudos to agent Fern Cuza of SFX for dissuading teams from the media's perception of his market and more than doubling most prognosticators' expectations in terms of years and dollars.

link
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Hall of Fame!

• jrg
  • Veteran

Seems legit
No MLB Team logo=no value.
Gonna get robbed
Share 49ersWebzone