There are 150 users in the forums

11 Time WS Champion St. Louis Cardinals Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran

"Are you sure you're 22?"
[ Edited by jrg on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:33 AM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Not trying to start crap, but this is the "Boston postseason magic" I was talking about before. Tonight was exactly why I wouldve wanted Detroit if I were STL. Now that they slapped the Cards ace around and put STL in a 0-1 hole, its going to be extremely difficult for a kid like Wacha to take the mound tomorrow imo.

Im not saying hes going to get hammered, but im sure everyone on that staff looks up to Wainwright like a superhero, especially a 22 year old rookie. The WS jitters, plus the Boston crowd, plus the doubt from game 1 (both Wainwright and Cards defensive woes)....I wouldnt be surprised if things unraveled.

Whats funny about the 2-3-2 format, is Boston pretty much HAS to win again in game 2 to retain any kind of momentum. Otherwise the series basically starts over again with the Cards getting the home field. IMO they should change the format to 2-2-1-1-1. Itd be more travel, but having 3 of the first 5 at home is more of an advantage that basically being forced to win both games 1-2.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Not trying to start crap, but this is the "Boston postseason magic" I was talking about before. Tonight was exactly why I wouldve wanted Detroit if I were STL. Now that they slapped the Cards ace around and put STL in a 0-1 hole, its going to be extremely difficult for a kid like Wacha to take the mound tomorrow imo.

Im not saying hes going to get hammered, but im sure everyone on that staff looks up to Wainwright like a superhero, especially a 22 year old rookie. The WS jitters, plus the Boston crowd, plus the doubt from game 1 (both Wainwright and Cards defensive woes)....I wouldnt be surprised if things unraveled.

Whats funny about the 2-3-2 format, is Boston pretty much HAS to win again in game 2 to retain any kind of momentum. Otherwise the series basically starts over again with the Cards getting the home field. IMO they should change the format to 2-2-1-1-1. Itd be more travel, but having 3 of the first 5 at home is more of an advantage that basically being forced to win both games 1-2.

I agree regarding the format though. They want to put the focus on the AS game to determine home field...but if the team with home field loses one of those first two, they are in trouble.
[ Edited by jrg on Oct 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
So much for Wacha and the team unraveling. Off to St Louis.
What an ending....whatever your feelings, the call was "rule book" correct and Cards lead 2-1. I think if they win one of the next 2 they win the series.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Hate to say it James, but I think the Cards blew it. Losing 2 of 3 at home was unacceptable. Wacha could certainly win tomorrow but having to win 2 in Boston doesn't seem likely. Damn.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LarryT1974:
Hate to say it James, but I think the Cards blew it. Losing 2 of 3 at home was unacceptable. Wacha could certainly win tomorrow but having to win 2 in Boston doesn't seem likely. Damn.

Doesn't seem likely, but with the wild s**t that ha happened in this series, I wouldn't be surprised. We've already won in Boston..who says we can't win 2?

Not at home this time, but we were down 3-2 in 2011 as well.

• jrg
  • Veteran
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Interesting video on Stephen Piscotty (Cardinals NEXT up and coming prospect)

Bernie Pleskoff of MLBpipeline.com had some interesting things to say about Piscotty

-Outstanding OF
-6'3" 210lbs
-Has power, speed, and is "the real deal" and "the entire package"
-5 tool player

Eventually the Cardinals starting RF to pair w/ Taveras for years

link

Bye Bye to Chris Carpenter. Retiring.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Bye Bye to Chris Carpenter. Retiring.

Yep. Sad to see him go, but he didn't have anything left in the tank. Tried..but couldn't make it happen.

Matheny also gets a 3 year extension
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Share 49ersWebzone