LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

11 Time WS Champion St. Louis Cardinals Thread

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by jrg:
Look at the road attendance on the chart you just posted. The Giants have STL beat by quite a bit on road attendance, which was the argument. Just saying...

Cool? Pretty easy to have the highest draw on the road when your main rival is the Los Angeles Dodgers. The team that leads everyone in attendance, has the largest stadium. (I'm sure that is only due to the Giants as well ) My response is to Reno who claims the Giants were the reason for the 41k attendance, not Cole Hamels' debut. I'm sure nobody cares about his debut, it is just a bunch of Giant fans traveling to Texas for the game.

Give me a break.

There are a TON of Giants fans living in southern CA and AZ. There are also a ton of them in the Dallas/Austin region because of bay area companies that moved out there for tax breaks. Remember how red the 49ers/Cowboys game was last year?

This isnt my argument to try and win, but you seem to be the one that started it over not being willing to even consider that maybe another fan base is as widespread as the Cardinals' fans are.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
The stats show that the Giants are the best draw in baseball right now but... you dont think that the 41,000 in attendance this weekend had more to do with the signing and excitement over Hamels? I would guess it did.

The topic of which city is the "best" baseball town is ridiculous anyway. Cards fans love to say that St Louis is. Giants fans now say that SF is. I would say both cities support their teams very well and to say one is better than the other is pretty dumb.

Yes Hamels had something to do with it, not all of it.

I don't think the topic of "best" baseball town is ridiculous at all, articles about it exist all over the internet, ESPN and MLB Network (both broadcast and telecast) discuss it, Chris Russo on Mad Dog Radio talks about it, Olney has talked about it, Kurkjian has discussed it, so it's an ongoing topic of discussion. I guess all of those outlets and people are ridiculous and dumb for offering an opinion. That's what I get from your comment. I simply don't agree.

It's all in fun, nobody's mind is going to be changed.
Originally posted by reno9er:
The stats show that the Giants are the best draw in baseball right now but... you dont think that the 41,000 in attendance this weekend had more to do with the signing and excitement over Hamels? I would guess it did.

The topic of which city is the "best" baseball town is ridiculous anyway. Cards fans love to say that St Louis is. Giants fans now say that SF is. I would say both cities support their teams very well and to say one is better than the other is pretty dumb.

I don't think the topic of "best" baseball town is ridiculous at all, articles about it exist all over the internet, ESPN and MLB Network (both broadcast and telecast) discuss it, Chris Russo on Mad Dog Radio talks about it, Olney has talked about it, Kurkjian has discussed it, so it's an ongoing topic of discussion. I guess all of those outlets and people are ridiculous and dumb for offering an opinion. That's what I get from your comment. I simply don't agree.

Chris Russo is probably the most obnoxious guy on radio and tv so quite frankly what he does or says has no value to me.

There is no "best" city. There are good ones like SF and STL and bad ones like Tampa. It is a cyclical thing as far as attendance goes. Naturally the Giants are going to be a huge draw. They have won 3 of the last 5 WS and have possibly the nicest park in baseball. SF wasnt great when they had a terrible team and a terrible park to watch games.

Trust me.. I am not taking James side because he is as slanted towards the Cards as you are to the Giants. But.. Hamels had more than just "something to do with it".

Attendance Game 1 of series 30,674
Game 2 (Hamels) 41,114
Game 3 22,234

Chris Russo is probably the most obnoxious guy on radio and tv so quite frankly what he does or says has no value to me.

There is no "best" city. There are good ones like SF and STL and bad ones like Tampa. It is a cyclical thing as far as attendance goes. Naturally the Giants are going to be a huge draw. They have won 3 of the last 5 WS and have possibly the nicest park in baseball. SF wasnt great when they had a terrible team and a terrible park to watch games.

Trust me.. I am not taking James side because he is as slanted towards the Cards as you are to the Giants. But.. Hamels had more than just "something to do with it".

Game 2 (Hamels) 41,114
Game 3 22,234

Ok, but it's not a ridiculous or dumb topic, that was the main point of my response. I know you weren't taking sides, but I disagree with your opinion on the topic itself.

That's ok, people can disagree and still have good conversation.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Game 2 (Hamels) 41,114
Game 3 22,234

lol this - all of this
Originally posted by JustinMT:
All these arguments are so f**king pointless during the season. Like seriously who gives a s**t? All that matters is if your team shows up in the playoffs and gets it done. Recently the Giants have been able to do just that but the Cards still hold the overall edge. Bam! Argument closed! Now go back to your corners until October and I pray to the baseball gods that the Giants and Cards face each other so you guys can settle this stupid s**t for this season and have offseason bragging rights.

I mean, you don't see me up in the Giants thread with this nonsense.

Thats what I mean. It invades the MLB thread and it just gets kinda old especially after years of seeing the same arguments every season. Comparing the attendance for two of the top teams in baseball just seems stupid to me. They both bring in crowds so who cares? If its Tampa or Miami I could understand but top 5 is great no matter what the ranking. It proves people love the teams and love to watch them play.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Look at the road attendance on the chart you just posted. The Giants have STL beat by quite a bit on road attendance, which was the argument. Just saying...

Cool? Pretty easy to have the highest draw on the road when your main rival is the Los Angeles Dodgers. The team that leads everyone in attendance, has the largest stadium. (I'm sure that is only due to the Giants as well ) My response is to Reno who claims the Giants were the reason for the 41k attendance, not Cole Hamels' debut. I'm sure nobody cares about his debut, it is just a bunch of Giant fans traveling to Texas for the game.

Give me a break.

There are a TON of Giants fans living in southern CA and AZ. There are also a ton of them in the Dallas/Austin region because of bay area companies that moved out there for tax breaks. Remember how red the 49ers/Cowboys game was last year?

This isnt my argument to try and win, but you seem to be the one that started it over not being willing to even consider that maybe another fan base is as widespread as the Cardinals' fans are.

I didn't start anything. As I said earlier, do you see me in the Giants thread? Reno got butthurt over the title of this thread and first came into question it. I explained it. He then continued to spew more and more Giants homerism in here. Dude even admitted he was a huge homer.

So here I am, once again, dealing with Giant homers over and over and over. I never denied the Giants were a great fan base, because they are, but it isn't just me or fans in St. Louis labeling the fan base the way they are. Numerous players, members of the media, MLB management. It goes on and on.

Regardless, I don't care. Reno is the one who got all defensive. If you want to label the Giants the "best fans in baseball", that is fine. But I don't think anyone (that isn't a Giants fan) will agree with you.

• jrg
  • Veteran

Game 2 (Hamels) 41,114
Game 3 22,234

• jrg
  • Veteran

Here ya go Reno. You seem so concerned about it.

Do some reading.

http://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-cities-for-baseball-fans/12864/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/825125-power-ranking-the-10-best-baseball-cities-in-the-united-states/page/11

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/54684/is-st-louis-the-best-baseball-city

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/bud-selig-proclaims-st--louis--the-best-baseball-city-193010313.html

(These are just the first two that popped up on google)
[ Edited by jrg on Aug 2, 2015 at 8:01 PM ]

Give me a break.

I didn't start anything. As I said earlier, do you see me in the Giants thread? Reno got butthurt over the title of this thread and first came into question it. I explained it. He then continued to spew more and more Giants homerism in here. Dude even admitted he was a huge homer.

So here I am, once again, dealing with Giant homers over and over and over. I never denied the Giants were a great fan base, because they are, but it isn't just me or fans in St. Louis labeling the fan base the way they are. Numerous players, members of the media, MLB management. It goes on and on.

Regardless, I don't care. Reno is the one who got all defensive. If you want to label the Giants the "best fans in baseball", that is fine. But I don't think anyone (that isn't a Giants fan) will agree with you.

lol dude, youre on a 49ers fan site, you should know that there is going to be a ton of Giants fans around all the time.

If I was a Rams fan, and was on a Rams fan site talking baseball, I wouldnt be getting all frustrated that tons of jrg's were posting about how great the Cards are.

There is no quantifiable way to say who has the best fans in baseball. Giants and Cards fans are both hardcore. They both travel well. Both would have to become terrible for the next decade to weed out all the bandwagoners and see what was left. But that isnt going to happen.

i will say this, dont get too thrilled about the whole "best team in baseball" thing. The last time the NL team with the best record in the league won the WS was the 86 Mets. NL top dogs are on a 28 year drought.

• jrg
  • Veteran
lol dude, youre on a 49ers fan site, you should know that there is going to be a ton of Giants fans around all the time.

If I was a Rams fan, and was on a Rams fan site talking baseball, I wouldnt be getting all frustrated that tons of jrg's were posting about how great the Cards are.

There is no quantifiable way to say who has the best fans in baseball. Giants and Cards fans are both hardcore. They both travel well. Both would have to become terrible for the next decade to weed out all the bandwagoners and see what was left. But that isnt going to happen.

i will say this, dont get too thrilled about the whole "best team in baseball" thing. The last time the NL team with the best record in the league won the WS was the 86 Mets. NL top dogs are on a 28 year drought.

Well then it is due for a change then huh?

Its likely due to the fact that the teams who dominate through the regular season usually end up coasting into the playoffs, having gone weeks or more without feeling any real pressure. So much of the baseball playoffs is about being hot at the right time.

The so called "best team" in the league ends up getting too much rest, or too comfortable, and when they play the Wild Card in the first round, they are facing the team who likely just scrapped and fought their way in, and are red hot. That short Divisional series is tough to win for the cold team.

Not likely. Rarely works out that the best record wins the WS.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Grichuk!

HR in the 13th!

Had an RBI double earlier in the game that was ALMOST a HR as well.

Dude is incredible.
Grichuk!

HR in the 13th!

Had an RBI double earlier in the game that was ALMOST a HR as well.

Dude is incredible.
Probably will be a top 5 ROY.
Syndergaard
Duffy
Bryant
Grichuk
Pederson
Heston

Some great rooks in the NL this year.
Share 49ersWebzone