LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 371 users in the forums

Who's gonna be the new LA Lakers full-time head coach?

Who's gonna be the new LA Lakers full-time head coach?

i hope Phil signs and is on the bench for the game against the spurs on tues .... as i will be at the game ! hahaha
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Nah. Not mad. I just think Jackson should have taken one job in his life that didnt have a team of Hall of Famers. I would have liked to see what he could do with a team that didnt have Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. Just once. Great coach but he has always had the best players.

To be fair, when he took the Laker job the last time he had Kobe and an awful supporting cast. But you still make a fair point.

That said...being able to get massive egos to work together is a skill that not everyone possesses, and he's the best at it in the world of basketball.

Yes, and all that said, WhoTF would look at the teams that Phil has led to titles and say "Naw, f**k that. I want to try and coach up a bunch of hacks that are 2nd and 3rd stringers." I know I wouldn't turn down superstar talent for the chance to coach the bucks/cavs/hornets. Sure, it'd be nice to see, but f**k that. I'm sure we'd all do just what he did, too.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Nah. Not mad. I just think Jackson should have taken one job in his life that didnt have a team of Hall of Famers. I would have liked to see what he could do with a team that didnt have Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. Just once. Great coach but he has always had the best players.

To be fair, when he took the Laker job the last time he had Kobe and an awful supporting cast. But you still make a fair point.

That said...being able to get massive egos to work together is a skill that not everyone possesses, and he's the best at it in the world of basketball.

Yes, and all that said, WhoTF would look at the teams that Phil has led to titles and say "Naw, f**k that. I want to try and coach up a bunch of hacks that are 2nd and 3rd stringers." I know I wouldn't turn down superstar talent for the chance to coach the bucks/cavs/hornets. Sure, it'd be nice to see, but f**k that. I'm sure we'd all do just what he did, too.

Sure we would probably all do that. Phil is great. But he did have awesome, awesome talent on multiple teams. He didn't do it with coaching alone. He had some of the best players ever. Once the success track record was established he was able to cherry pick the most talented team and players. It's both excellent coaching and amazing talent he had.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Sure we would probably all do that. Phil is great. But he did have awesome, awesome talent on multiple teams. He didn't do it with coaching alone. He had some of the best players ever. Once the success track record was established he was able to cherry pick the most talented team and players. It's both excellent coaching and amazing talent he had.

Yes.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I'd love to see how Phil Jackson uses Nash in triangle offense
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

This is the biggest question I have. They're going to have to go hybrid to use him properly.

This is the biggest question I have. They're going to have to go hybrid to use him properly.

I think Nash would be great in the triangle, he just won't have the freedom to improvise with the ball in his hands like he did in Phoenix. He's a phenomenal jump shooter though, and the triangle is great at creating space. The Lakers have two dominant post players in Howard and Gasol. Any attempt to double them should open up plenty of quality looks for him. Just think of a triangle set with Nash-Kobe-Howard playing off one another, with Gasol just chillin' on the weakside if the D over commits. It could be vicious if they can successfully install the offense mid-season.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Yeup...and it's Phil Jackson - so he'll figure it out. I'm just curious how he does it.

It's kind of chicken or the egg though. Phil's never had a PG that was at the level of Nash, or similar to him stylistically. He's always put guys like Fisher/Armstrong/Paxson/Kerr, etc. at the 2 while Kobe & Pippen ran the 1. (Jordan was a 3 in the Tri, and Kobe would play there sometimes, but not as often because they didn't have another good option at the 1)

I'd like to think that Phil's bright enough to know how to use Nash.
COACH PRINGLES

Originally posted by jrg:
LA9erFan

Nope, but the hired Mike DAnttoeknee
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Mike D'Antoni over Phil Jackson? Interesting....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jcool:
Mike D'Antoni over Phil Jackson? Interesting....

Probably the right move pj is old tired.
I will go out on a limb and predict D'Antoni
Share 49ersWebzone