There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does this bother you about the NBA?

Since 1980, the Lakers (10), Bulls (6), Celtics (4), Spurs (4), Pistons (3), Rockets (2), and Heat (2) have won every single title but 2. So only 7 teams have accounted for 94% of the titles in the last 33 years. The only 1 time winners being the Mavs and 76ers.

One of those 7 teams has made the NBA finals almost 70% of the time over 33 years.

I just wonder how the NBA succeeds as a sport, and how it will years down the road, when the same teams keep winning everything. The lack of parity makes a far too large of a pool of teams that basically begin each season with no chance at a title. Every once and a while someone rises up and possibly even reaches the Finals, like the Pacers in 2000, but falls short to a powerhouse team.

Im not a huge NBA fan, but I wanted to know how some of you bigger fans feel about this. Im assuming Lakers fans will say "Its not our fault other franchises cant keep up", and Warriors/Kings fans will probably agree that it bothers them. As a general topic of discussion I think its bad for the NBA no matter who your team is.

If you look at the NFL, there have been 15 different champions in 32 years since the 80-81 season. In Major League Baseball, 19 different champions in 32 years. in the NHL, 16 champions in 32 years. The NBA stands alone in this issue.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
How many NBA threads do we need?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/other-sports/167882-2012-13-general-nba-discussion-thread/
Im a huge basketball fan but I have fallen out of love with the NBA and your post is one of the reasons why.I cant even watch a full NBA game anymore
Id rather watch a NCAA Mens game then an NBA game

Rock Chalk Jayhawk motherf**kers
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Im a huge basketball fan but I have fallen out of love with the NBA and your post is one of the reasons why.I cant even watch a full NBA game anymore

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

Jayhawks

I agree March Madness is much more exciting than the NBA, but the quality of play is still a very apparent difference.

I lost interest in the NBA back in the late 90's when the Jordan era ended. The NBA product has just taken a dump since then imo. maybe I just grew up spoiled in the heart of the "dream team" era of players, but basketball since Jordan has been forgettable.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
If you are a fan of a crappy team you just set your sights lower. I am a Piston fan, a team that has went up and down like a yoyo the 30+ years I have been following them. In bad years I just hope they win 30 games and don't get embarrassed when they play good teams. No matter who you root for there are always other teams to root against. I am a Laker hater, I get joy out of every season the Lakers don't win a championship.
Originally posted by jrg:
How many NBA threads do we need?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/other-sports/167882-2012-13-general-nba-discussion-thread/

This is a specific topic of discussion about the present state of the game itself, not "which player is better" talk.
Originally posted by BobS:
If you are a fan of a crappy team you just set your sights lower. I am a Piston fan, a team that has went up and down like a yoyo the 30+ years I have been following them. In bad years I just hope they win 30 games and don't get embarrassed when they play good teams. No matter who you root for there are always other teams to root against. I am a Laker hater, I get joy out of every season the Lakers don't win a championship.

It seems like the majority of NBA fans end up rooting against the dynasty type teams more than they do for their own team. Thats part of the problem. "Lets go Raptors!" or whatever turns into "Lets go whoever is playing the Heat!" Thats basically what the NBA fan becomes less than halfway into the season, when they figure out their team will once again, be playing for a lottery slot.
I think random events are rewarded in other sports more than they are in basketball, because scoring events in other sports are so much rarer. You can make a "nice play" in football, such as a 15 yard crossing route to Crabtree, but it doesn't result in any points. In basketball...which averages a little more than one point per play...it usually does. Since those scoring events are much rarer in baseball, football, & hockey, a single play can change an entire game. That doesn't really happen in basketball.

If you win 60% of your games in baseball, you're one of the best teams in the league. In basketball, you're a 4th seed. Football is similar, in that the best teams have winning percentages that are comparable to the NBA, but the difference is that their playoffs are single elimination, whereas the NBA is best out of 7. That in and of itself is going to lead to many more upsets in the NFL than the NBA.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the best players in the NBA play 80% of the game, and can touch the ball on every single offensive possession. That's not true of any of the other sports. The best hockey players still play a little less than half of a game, same is true in football, and in MLB they only come up to the plate once every 9 times or pitch once every 5 days. So of course the teams with the best individual can win in the NBA more frequently. They have a chance to impact the game more often.

Aside from the 1970's, every decade in the NBA has been dominated by a couple of teams. That's a function of more scoring frequency, best out of 7 playoff series', and the best players being able to impact the game more than other sports. Personally, I think it's the fairest sport there is. The best team almost always wins. I don't think you can say that about the MLB, NHL, or NFL. The team that gets the hottest at the right time is the one that takes home the title, even if they were only above average for most of the year. The only time I can think of that happening in the NBA was when the Rockets won in '95.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Its a big reason why I care about the NFL and MLB more

There's like 4 good teams in the NBA and the rest basically don't matter. You could guess the NBA finals and playoffs before the season even starts and get it right. You can't do it with the NFL or MLB

NBA is a crappy league compared to the other NFL and MLB
[ Edited by ImaMod on Nov 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM ]
Nice post LA^

Good points.

NBA can suck a fat one doe

f**kin kings
NBA can suck it
in the 30 years since david stern became commissioner, 9 teams have won the NBA championship
For a change I agree with 99. I love the fact that the NFL and MLB have had many winners and that they aren't dominated by a handful of teams like the NBA is. There is really something wrong when there are really just 3 teams that can win a title like this year in the NBA.
Eh, Spurs, Pistons, Rockets, and Heat are all basically smaller market teams that have won championships, and OKC was close last year. Get good management, draft well, and you can win in this league.