There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Oakland A's Off season thread

Good sh*t! I've only seen the youtube videos (like Yoenis last year), but he's an exciting player as well.

Our team = young pitching + international ballers LOL
Originally posted by DaDDieO:
Good sh*t! I've only seen the youtube videos (like Yoenis last year), but he's an exciting player as well.

Our team = young pitching international ballers LOL

Didn't read twice lol

Our team = young pitching international ballers LOL

Didn't read twice lol

LOL See...whut hadd happnd whas...
Love the signing. GREAT deal for an in-prime SS. Yes, he'll probably need to adjust to the pitching like Cespy, but 104 HRs and 514 RBIs in 6 Japanese seasons is the equivalent to 5.18 MLB seasons (they play 22 less games a year), which averages to 20 HRs and 99 RBIs a MLB year. Plus he's a career .310 hitter. The potential is there.
[ Edited by captveg on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
Love the signing. GREAT deal for an in-prime SS. Yes, he'll probably need to adjust to the pitching like Cespy, but 104 HRs and 514 RBIs in 6 Japanese seasons is the equivalent to 5.18 MLB seasons (they play 22 less games a year), which averages to 20 HRs and 99 RBIs a MLB year. Plus he's a career .310 hitter. The potential is there.

Well that would be amazing if he could do that, although I remain highly skeptical. That's not to say he won't be an upgrade over what the A's had at SS last year, but your projections are extremely optomistic.
Originally posted by dcsham:

Well that would be amazing if he could do that, although I remain highly skeptical. That's not to say he won't be an upgrade over what the A's had at SS last year, but your projections are extremely optomistic.

Oh, he could certainly struggle with MLB pitching. One never knows if those skills in the Japan league will transfer over. But at that price with that potential at his age it's a no brainer deal, IMO. Low risk, possible high reward.
Oh, he could certainly struggle with MLB pitching. One never knows if those skills in the Japan league will transfer over. But at that price with that potential at his age it's a no brainer deal, IMO. Low risk, possible high reward.

this
Typical Beane move: low risk high reward

I'd rather have him for 2 years 6.5 mill and a team option for the 3rd year than Drew for 1 year 10 mill that he got with the redsox

Also his contract is perfect for the development of Addison Russel
I wonder how inflated batting average #'s are in Japan. We all know power numbers take a hit. I guess it all comes down to how well his swing and approach are suited for the MLB game.

I'm more concerned about his defense honestly. Nishioka from the Twins was supposed to be an amazing defender and he totally sucked at the MLB level. I think he's more of a 2nd baseman honestly.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

this

I'd rather have him for 2 years 6.5 mill and a team option for the 3rd year than Drew for 1 year 10 mill that he got with the redsox

I agree, I think its a good signing for the A's when you consider what they had at SS last year. I just don't think he will approach his numbers from Japan, but who knows, I could be wrong. Some guys come over here and do very well; some not so much.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I wonder how inflated batting average #'s are in Japan. We all know power numbers take a hit. I guess it all comes down to how well his swing and approach are suited for the MLB game.

I'm more concerned about his defense honestly. Nishioka from the Twins was supposed to be an amazing defender and he totally sucked at the MLB level. I think he's more of a 2nd baseman honestly.

I believe that the ball in Japan is slightly smaller and lighter than the MLB ball. I think that there is probably some adjustment that comes with how the ball reacts on certain pitches, how it feels when gripping it to throw, and also even how it bounces. Obviously there are some very good players in Japan, but to me the game there is probably at about a AAA level on the average.
Originally posted by dcsham:

this

I agree, I think its a good signing for the A's when you consider what they had at SS last year. I just don't think he will approach his numbers from Japan, but who knows, I could be wrong. Some guys come over here and do very well; some not so much.

Ya, expecting him to bat .300 with 20+ homeruns is unrealistic
I'll be satisfied with a .260 batting average and good defense at 3 mill per year
I'll be satisfied with a .260 batting average and good defense at 3 mill per year

I'm hoping for .275 12-15 HRs 50-60 RBIs and solid defense.

I'm hoping for .275 12-15 HRs 50-60 RBIs and solid defense.

Being that we dealt with Cliff Pennington's .195 hitting for 3/4 of the season, I'm fine with anything above .250
5 more years
Originally posted by ads_2006:
5 more years

Which means a lot of depressing things that I don't want to say..

..like at least 5 more years of lew wolf
...and blowing it up in 3 years. Cespy probably won't be on the team

Oh well. Kinda used to it