There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Oakland A's Off season thread

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
was going to post this in the regular season thread but I guess its time for change

Oakland Athletics
The Oakland A's exercised the contract option on right-handed pitcher Grant Balfour for the 2013 season, the club announced today. The A's declined to exercise the option on shortstop Stephen Drew.

I thought we were going to pick up the option but maybe we'll sign him to cheaper
We need a short stop and I could see him wanting to come back after the season we had

Headlines so far:
-A's trade Cliff Pennington and Yordi Cabrera for Chris Young
-A's exercise Balfour's $4.5M option
-A's decline to excercise Drew's $10 million option
FIRST
Team dismantle begins in 5,4,3,2.....

Damn if we don't re-sign Drew I wonder what our backup plan is? Maybe they're going to sign him to a more long term deal.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Damn if we don't re-sign Drew I wonder what our backup plan is? Maybe they're going to sign him to a more long term deal.

Jane Lee ‏@JaneMLB
I'm told #Athletics remain very interested in working out a deal with Drew to bring him back.

Joe Stiglich ‏@joestiglich
#Athletics asst. GM David Forst said the team definitely plans to continue negotiating w/Stephen Drew on potential new deal

Forst on Drew: "I think we have reason to be optimistic, but free agency has a way of changing the equation, so we'll pursue all options."

Translation: Drew wants to explore free agency... Forst said#Athletics will pursue other SS options while talking w/Drew, including trades

I hope he's back on a 2 or 3 year deal. Im thinking 3 years 15 to 18 mill?
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Reddick wins gold glove well deserved

"@susanslusser: Josh Reddick wins a Gold Glove, the #Athletics announce. Ahead of slow-moving ESPN2."
[ Edited by ImaMod on Oct 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM ]
Congrats to Reddick! Spider-Man deserved the honor.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
A's resigned Colon

"@susanslusser: #Athletics sign Bartolo Colon to one year deal."

"@susanslusser: Colon has a $3 million base salary and a good incentives package, source says. #Athletics"

Kinda surprising. And a little too much for him I thought he'd be cheaper
Welcome back Bartolo!

Also, congrats to Reddick... he was a beast in the outfield all season long!
I cant believe the A's signed Roids Fat Boy. LOL There is no way I would have his fat ass take the place of one of their young starters
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I cant believe the A's signed Roids Fat Boy. LOL There is no way I would have his fat ass take the place of one of their young starters

I questioned the move too at first but after reading this it makes a lot of sense and I kinda like the move. Can't have enough depth at SP

Pitching depth is something the A's prize in general. Colon and McCarthy took three trips, combined, to the DL, and Brett Anderson was out until August after Tommy John surgery. Griffin spent a stint on the DL. Few teams have their entire rotations healthy an entire season.

Colon made $2 million last year, and this year he is up to $3 million despite coming off a suspension and despite the fact that he will turn 40 during the season. The A's, like many other teams, appear to believe that salaries for starting pitchers, in particular, are about to skyrocket, and that few starters will be available on one-year deals.

Colon was 10-9 with a 3.43 ERA in 24 starts last season, and the A's liked the fact that he pounded the strike zone and considered him a good influence on the young starters in that regard.

"He was only going to get beat with his best stuff, and it's great for a young staff to see that," Beane said. "He was very professional, and a great influence on the mound. There's a risk when signing any veteran pticher, but there is significant comfort in already knowing the player well, no question."

Colon was recently struck in the face by a line drive during winter ball in the Dominican Republic, but he is fine and has pitched since then, with a 2.89 ERA in two starts.

He was a popular player in the A's clubhouse in 2012, with a cheerful, joking demeanor even on days he started, and when he was suspended, his teammates all expressed disappointment rather than anger, because he was so well-liked.
I, too, hope they bring back Drew. Coco and Drew were turning into quite the duo at the top of the lineup. I have to say the move for Young was quite surprising since the outfield seemed pretty set. I guess if Gomes is most likely gone and with Cespedes and Crisp spending time on and off the DL last season, it's not a bad deal.
  • IT21
  • Veteran
PLEASE make it happen Beane! We got plenty young pitching!

"@Buster_ESPN: Not surprisingly, the Indians have targeted young starting pitching as they begin the process of taking offers for Asdrubal Cabrera, others."
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
PLEASE make it happen Beane! We got plenty young pitching!

"@Buster_ESPN: Not surprisingly, the Indians have targeted young starting pitching as they begin the process of taking offers for Asdrubal Cabrera, others."

Untouchable: Anderson, Parker, Milone, (bullpen:Doolittle)
Expendable: Griffin, Straily

With Colon coming back, we'll only need one additional arm to start for us. McCarthy is the preference. Yet, maybe someone like Sonny Gray can take the 5th spot in our rotation next season, if ready by spring training.
Asdrubal Cabrera > Stephen Drew IMO Bat & glove. A very entertaining SS

Note that Cabrera is due $21M over the next 3 years. Not bad.