There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

god damnit that whole Earl clark thing has me pissed off
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
The Lakers "could" pay Kobe up to 105% of his previous salary.

damnit...
Originally posted by marshniners24:
I bet he takes a pay cut. He cares too much about winning not to

He obviously won't make $30M.

My guess is, he'll demand he makes as much as the highest paid player Lakers sign in FA but with a 2 or 3 year deal.
Originally posted by GameOver:

damnit...

Yea dude...I'm not sure where you heard 10-12M a year. Kobe may not be worth 30M anymore, but he's worth well over 12M a year.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

damnit...

Yea dude...I'm not sure where you heard 10-12M a year. Kobe may not be worth 30M anymore, but he's worth well over 12M a year.

So he can get $32 million a year in his next contract...

Man...I really hope Mitch negotiates the s**t out of him and he shows some heart and takes no more than $15 mill/year.

damnit...

Man...I really hope Mitch negotiates the s**t out of him and he shows some heart and takes no more than $15 mill/year.

IMO, a lot of it depends on how he responds from his injury.
Dwight Howard was worried about the timetable of the Los Angeles Lakers to move on from the Kobe Bryant era if he re-signed with the team, according to sources.

Howard and his representatives told the Lakers that he would have a difficult time re-signing if Bryant remained beyond the final season of his contract in 13-14.

Bryant said publicly shortly before the Lakers' meeting with Howard that he planned to play two or three more seasons.

"How can it be Kobe's team and Dwight's team?" one source said. "It was about the passing of the torch."

Howard's camp asked if the Lakers at least considered using their amnesty provision on Bryant, according to sources.

The Lakers could have amnestied Bryant while shopping Pau Gasol and Steve Nash to teams with cap space to potentially re-sign Howard and also sign Chris Paul. But the Lakers made it clear that they would allow Bryant to decide his own future with the club.

Sources say Howard didn't feel especially close with anyone inside the Lakers except for Mitch Kupchak. Howard also had concerns about how the Lakers would market him and had been disappointed with that aspect during his lone season with the franchise.

damnit...

IMO, a lot of it depends on how he responds from his injury.

Speaking of his injury...

Kobe Bryant admitted last season that he could retire when his Los Angeles Lakers contract expires in 2014, but he says he is now gearing up to play three or four more seasons.

"How many pages in that last chapter, I don't know. But it's definitely the last chapter," Bryant said. "I've been rejuvenated somewhat by the injury and inspired by watching what San Antonio was able to accomplish this year, so I'm ready to go for at least another three.

"Mentally, I think mentally I'm more locked in, more engaged on the prospects of playing another three or four years."

Bryant has made progress in his rehabilitation from a torn Achillies tendon.

"I'm far ahead, far ahead," Bryant said. "Surprisingly so, but really ahead of schedule."
Dwight Howard was worried about the timetable of the Los Angeles Lakers to move on from the Kobe Bryant era if he re-signed with the team, according to sources.

Howard and his representatives told the Lakers that he would have a difficult time re-signing if Bryant remained beyond the final season of his contract in 13-14.

Bryant said publicly shortly before the Lakers' meeting with Howard that he planned to play two or three more seasons.

"How can it be Kobe's team and Dwight's team?" one source said. "It was about the passing of the torch."

Howard's camp asked if the Lakers at least considered using their amnesty provision on Bryant, according to sources.

The Lakers could have amnestied Bryant while shopping Pau Gasol and Steve Nash to teams with cap space to potentially re-sign Howard and also sign Chris Paul. But the Lakers made it clear that they would allow Bryant to decide his own future with the club.

Sources say Howard didn't feel especially close with anyone inside the Lakers except for Mitch Kupchak. Howard also had concerns about how the Lakers would market him and had been disappointed with that aspect during his lone season with the franchise.

Suggesting to the Lakers to amnesty Kobe? This mothaf**ker!
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Suggesting to the Lakers to amnesty Kobe? This mothaf**ker!

lolololol
Regarding Kobe's salary going forward, a lot is going to happen between now and then. But I think we're going to have a hard time putting a championship team on the court if he re-signs for more than $10M, $12M tops. That's well under his value, both on the court and even more so in terms of the revenue he generates, but that's the problem with trying to build your team entirely through free agency. In order for it to work, you need several guys to come together to take less money, like what happened in Miami.

The only thing that would have made this smart is Kobe telling the front office that he'd come back for cheap. If that hasn't happened, we're on a terrible course right now.
Regarding Kobe's salary going forward, a lot is going to happen between now and then. But I think we're going to have a hard time putting a championship team on the court if he re-signs for more than $10M, $12M tops. That's well under his value, both on the court and even more so in terms of the revenue he generates, but that's the problem with trying to build your team entirely through free agency. In order for it to work, you need several guys to come together to take less money, like what happened in Miami.

The only thing that would have made this smart is Kobe telling the front office that he'd come back for cheap. If that hasn't happened, we're on a terrible course right now.

I can't see Kobe's ego allowing him to come back for cheap. That's just not him. So yeah they are on a bad course. A mid thirties guy coming off a major injury and building their team and salary cap allocation around him. That doesn't sound like a good course to me.

Can they fix it? Sure. But this will probably set them back a few years.

Kobe Bryant has WAY too much pride, ego, and game to sign that far under market value. I just cannot imagine a scenario where he is paid a salary that is far less than a free agent they bring in. (unless its Lebron).

The best thing the Lakers could do, in my humble opinion, is do a sign and trade with Kobe. Get more picks and build for the future. I dont know if the Lakers fans would go ballistic if that happened but it would probably be the best thing for the franchise.
Kobe is gonna finish out his contract then sign with the Sixers
END THREAD
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Kobe Bryant has WAY too much pride, ego, and game to sign that far under market value. I just cannot imagine a scenario where he is paid a salary that is far less than a free agent they bring in. (unless its Lebron).

The best thing the Lakers could do, in my humble opinion, is do a sign and trade with Kobe. Get more picks and build for the future. I dont know if the Lakers fans would go ballistic if that happened but it would probably be the best thing for the franchise.

Yep. Agreed. Frankly, I think the best thing for the Lakers to do would be to blow up this team right now, but that doesn't appear to be the course that their taking. The best asset that the Lakers have is their own pick in a stacked 2014 draft, which right now looks to me like it will be in the 12-16 range. If Kobe's not willing to re-sign for cheap, then the best thing to do would be to deal him & Pau for whatever they can get & suck this year.

But as of right now, the Lakers are on a collision course with becoming the Knicks. This team won't be bad for long, but they won't be a championship contender for a LONG time if they plan on building this squad almost entirely through free agency. (unless guys take paycuts)
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com