There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by GameOver:
I just realized that Cleveland signed Earl Clark to a 2-year $9 mill deal...wtf! How come we didn't do something about this? He is one of the few young athletic guys we had on our team and we just let him walk out? Didn't we own his bird rights too? The f**k!

Lakers current goal is to have as close to $0 committed salary in 2014. Currently they just have Steve Nash.

$4 million won't freaking kill you! God damnit...I get wanting to have little to no money committed in 2014 but can we at least have SOME young guys on the squad? Putting all our eggs in this summer of 2014 basket just seems ridiculous...
I just realized that Cleveland signed Earl Clark to a 2-year $9 mill deal...wtf! How come we didn't do something about this? He is one of the few young athletic guys we had on our team and we just let him walk out? Didn't we own his bird rights too? The f**k!

Lakers current goal is to have as close to $0 committed salary in 2014. Currently they just have Steve Nash.

$4 million won't freaking kill you! God damnit...I get wanting to have little to no money committed in 2014 but can we at least have SOME young guys on the squad? Putting all our eggs in this summer of 2014 basket just seems ridiculous...

Dantoni pretty much hates earl's guts. It was a given he was a goner if dantoni stayed on as the coach.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
But in the prime of his career he was also demanding trade on TV and Radio because he didn't think he had a good team around him.

Also, he didn't get away from Shaq because he didn't want to make a Super team. Instead, he wanted a Super-Team with him in charge.

Yep, he demanded a trade when the talent on the roster was on the completely opposite end of the spectrum. Outside of a solid player in Odom and a very young & raw Bynum, the vast majority of that roster was either out of the league or at the end of a bench right afterward.

He never got a super team. He got a really good #2 who was a fringe all-star. I know people like to paint Pau as being more than that, but before LA, he was a 1-time all-star that was being beaten out to All-Star rosters by guys like Andrei Kirilenko, David West, & Carlos Boozer. He took that dude, Odom, & a Bynum that could barely walk to two titles.

Not a "super team", and far different than taking one of the 5 greatest players at his position in his late 20's & early 30's and a guy who had made 5 ASG's (also in his late 20's) on his own to titles.

We've gone this route before...so I'd leave it at - I disagree that it wasn't a super-team. Gasol was not an all-star due to other reasons...not because he didn't deserve it. Hibbert made the all-star team in East with 13/9 averages.

But, regardless of that - the fact remains...Kobe b***hed and moan while he was under contract. He did what guys like 'melo and Dwight have done past couple years. He threw team-mates, coaches, front office under the bus. He blamed everyone but himself. Kobe stayed in LA because Lakers convinced him (through their track record and ability to attract FAs) that with Lakers he will have the best chance of winning.

That's exactly what Lebron (as a FA) did. He found the best possible chance at winning after seeing San Antonio, Lakers, Boston win titles with multiple stars. San Antonio did it through draft, Boston and Lakers did it through trade, and Miami did it though FA. How is it Lebron's fault that he got drafted by an incompetent franchise that couldn't draft well or make good trades?
We've gone this route before...so I'd leave it at - I disagree that it wasn't a super-team. Gasol was not an all-star due to other reasons...not because he didn't deserve it. Hibbert made the all-star team in East with 13/9 averages.

But, regardless of that - the fact remains...Kobe b***hed and moan while he was under contract. He did what guys like 'melo and Dwight have done past couple years. He threw team-mates, coaches, front office under the bus. He blamed everyone but himself. Kobe stayed in LA because Lakers convinced him (through their track record and ability to attract FAs) that with Lakers he will have the best chance of winning.

That's exactly what Lebron (as a FA) did. He found the best possible chance at winning after seeing San Antonio, Lakers, Boston win titles with multiple stars. San Antonio did it through draft, Boston and Lakers did it through trade, and Miami did it though FA. How is it Lebron's fault that he got drafted by an incompetent franchise that couldn't draft well or make good trades?

He threw Melo & Dwight under the bus?

I got no problem with LeBron looking to better his situation. He just went to the completely opposite end of that spectrum, which was a weenie move.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

He threw Melo & Dwight under the bus?

I got no problem with LeBron looking to better his situation. He just went to the completely opposite end of that spectrum, which was a weenie move.

No, I meant to say...Kobe did some of the same things Dwight did in Orlando i.e. throwing team-mates, coaches, FO under the bus, while not taking any blame for the failures. I don't think that's something you expect from someone who is referred as strong willed and ultimate competitor. That's a pretty weak move in itself.
No, I meant to say...Kobe did some of the same things Dwight did in Orlando i.e. throwing team-mates, coaches, FO under the bus, while not taking any blame for the failures. I don't think that's something you expect from someone who is referred as strong willed and ultimate competitor. That's a pretty weak move in itself.

You're comparing a 3 time champion who was the 1b option on those teams to Dwight in Orlando. I get what you're saying, but IMO, Kobe had every right to b***h about the desolate situation that the Lakers were in post Shaq.
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kobe-bryant-not-planning-to-take-a-pay-cut-in-2014/2013/07/10/

"I'm not taking any at all – that's the negotiation that you have to have." Kobe Bryant told Lakers Nation in an exclusive interview at his Kobe Basketball Academy on Wednesday. "For me to sit here and say, 'Oh yeah, I'm just going to take a huge pay cut. Nah, I'm going to try to get as much as I possibly can."
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kobe-bryant-not-planning-to-take-a-pay-cut-in-2014/2013/07/10/

"I'm not taking any at all – that's the negotiation that you have to have." Kobe Bryant told Lakers Nation in an exclusive interview at his Kobe Basketball Academy on Wednesday. "For me to sit here and say, 'Oh yeah, I'm just going to take a huge pay cut. Nah, I'm going to try to get as much as I possibly can."

LOL, ya blew that up quick.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

LOL, ya blew that up quick.

Either way he's still taking a huge pay cut. With the new CBA he's looking at about half of what he makes a year, now. lol
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Either way he's still taking a huge pay cut. With the new CBA he's looking at about half of what he makes a year, now. lol

Lolwut
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

You're comparing a 3 time champion who was the 1b option on those teams to Dwight in Orlando. I get what you're saying, but IMO, Kobe had every right to b***h about the desolate situation that the Lakers were in post Shaq.

Not comparing the two players but because he had 3 championships, Kobe got away with it. Dwight was called soft and diva...which is exactly how Kobe was acting when he went on several radio shows to demand trade. And after going through all that, he decided to stay with the team...and ppl say Dwight is indecisive.

I completely agree that Kobe had the right to complain. A better way to go about it would have been...tell the management they need to put better team on the floor. If they can't do that, he'd like to be traded. That's perfectly professional. But, he didn't need to blame everyone. Kobe is an all-time great player...that was beneath him, IMO.

Lolwut

Well he's making $30 million this year. Under the new CBA, aren't the Lakers not allowed to pay him anywhere near that? I know they have his Bird rights, but don't they still have to drastically cut his salary?

Lolwut

Well he's making $30 million this year. Under the new CBA, aren't the Lakers not allowed to pay him anywhere near that? I know they have his Bird rights, but don't they still have to drastically cut his salary?

Yeah, I think he can't make more than $11-12 million/year in his next contract...not 100% sure but that's the number Ive heard get tossed around
The Lakers "could" pay Kobe up to 105% of his previous salary.
I bet he takes a pay cut. He cares too much about winning not to
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com