LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Regarding Kobe's salary going forward, a lot is going to happen between now and then. But I think we're going to have a hard time putting a championship team on the court if he re-signs for more than $10M, $12M tops. That's well under his value, both on the court and even more so in terms of the revenue he generates, but that's the problem with trying to build your team entirely through free agency. In order for it to work, you need several guys to come together to take less money, like what happened in Miami.

The only thing that would have made this smart is Kobe telling the front office that he'd come back for cheap. If that hasn't happened, we're on a terrible course right now.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Regarding Kobe's salary going forward, a lot is going to happen between now and then. But I think we're going to have a hard time putting a championship team on the court if he re-signs for more than $10M, $12M tops. That's well under his value, both on the court and even more so in terms of the revenue he generates, but that's the problem with trying to build your team entirely through free agency. In order for it to work, you need several guys to come together to take less money, like what happened in Miami.

The only thing that would have made this smart is Kobe telling the front office that he'd come back for cheap. If that hasn't happened, we're on a terrible course right now.

I can't see Kobe's ego allowing him to come back for cheap. That's just not him. So yeah they are on a bad course. A mid thirties guy coming off a major injury and building their team and salary cap allocation around him. That doesn't sound like a good course to me.

Can they fix it? Sure. But this will probably set them back a few years.

Kobe Bryant has WAY too much pride, ego, and game to sign that far under market value. I just cannot imagine a scenario where he is paid a salary that is far less than a free agent they bring in. (unless its Lebron).

The best thing the Lakers could do, in my humble opinion, is do a sign and trade with Kobe. Get more picks and build for the future. I dont know if the Lakers fans would go ballistic if that happened but it would probably be the best thing for the franchise.
Kobe is gonna finish out his contract then sign with the Sixers
END THREAD
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Kobe Bryant has WAY too much pride, ego, and game to sign that far under market value. I just cannot imagine a scenario where he is paid a salary that is far less than a free agent they bring in. (unless its Lebron).

The best thing the Lakers could do, in my humble opinion, is do a sign and trade with Kobe. Get more picks and build for the future. I dont know if the Lakers fans would go ballistic if that happened but it would probably be the best thing for the franchise.

Yep. Agreed. Frankly, I think the best thing for the Lakers to do would be to blow up this team right now, but that doesn't appear to be the course that their taking. The best asset that the Lakers have is their own pick in a stacked 2014 draft, which right now looks to me like it will be in the 12-16 range. If Kobe's not willing to re-sign for cheap, then the best thing to do would be to deal him & Pau for whatever they can get & suck this year.

But as of right now, the Lakers are on a collision course with becoming the Knicks. This team won't be bad for long, but they won't be a championship contender for a LONG time if they plan on building this squad almost entirely through free agency. (unless guys take paycuts)

LOL. Only Wade took less money and it was still damn near a max deal.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Didnt James also take less money to go to Miami?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

All 3 did...Wade took the biggest pay-cut because he was staying in Miami. There wasn't a LOT of difference between their salaries though.

They left about $15M each on the table over the course of 6 years.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jul 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM ]

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
All 3 did...Wade took the biggest pay-cut because he was staying in Miami. There wasn't a LOT of difference between their salaries though.

And if you're talking about guys that aren't coming off of their first extensions with 7 years of service in the league (like LeBron/Wade/Bosh were), you're talking about leaving a lot more money on the table than that. Melo's max, for example, at 11 years in the league is gonna be a lot more than what those guys could've made.

Lols. Ok those guys took a minor pay cut in order to sign a few more role players. But they didn't take anywhere near half of their possible starting salary like Pete suggests Kobe do.

NBA salary rules are all about starting salary and allowable raises.

LeBron could have had a starting salary of $16.6M and he took $14.5M instead. If Kobe only takes a $2M pay cut from what other teams would be willing to pay him I will be impressed. Let's be real $2M bucks to these guys is a drop in the bucket.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

And if you're talking about guys that aren't coming off of their first extensions with 7 years of service in the league (like LeBron/Wade/Bosh were), you're talking about leaving a lot more money on the table than that. Melo's max, for example, at 11 years in the league is gonna be a lot more than what those guys could've made.

Yes but with Lebron and Wade there are a lot of endorsements involved. NBA contract is not their only money. Bosh not as much endorsements. Plus you got to factor in they are in a state income tax free state. That's a big deal when you look at NY and CA and how much they would tax you.
Lols. Ok those guys took a minor pay cut in order to sign a few more role players. But they didn't take anywhere near half of their possible starting salary like Pete suggests Kobe do.

NBA salary rules are all about starting salary and allowable raises.

LeBron could have had a starting salary of $16.6M and he took $14.5M instead. If Kobe only takes a $2M pay cut from what other teams would be willing to pay him I will be impressed. Let's be real $2M bucks to these guys is a drop in the bucket.

Sure, ultimately it wasn't a massive sacrifice for those guys, but think about it in the context of my larger point, which is that it's INCREDIBLY hard to build a championship team almost solely through free agency, even if you're the Lakers. In Miami you had...

1) A generational talent in LeBron, a 1st ballot HOFer in Wade, & a perennial all-star in Bosh hitting FA at the same time and all agree to play on the same team.
2) Each guy was coming off of their 7th year, meaning the max they could get wasn't in the area of what Kobe makes or what Melo could make in '14.
3) They all agreed to take paycuts.

So in that situation, they weren't leaving THAT much on the table, like you said, but the circumstances under which they signed are incredibly rare, because of how incredibly rare the 2003 draft class was. To put it in perspective, the next group of "guys that have been in the league for 7 years and just now hitting FA" will be in 2015, when it's Rajon Rondo, Kevin Love, & Roy Hibbert. Good players, but not at all comparable to the 2010 version of LeBron/Wade/Bosh. On the flip side, Melo's max in LA would be $23.5M the first year, with 5% raises. Signing for $14.5M so you can get 3 stars the way that LeBron & Co. did in '10 is a MUCH bigger sacrifice in terms of money left of the table. And Melo couldn't get the 5th, guaranteed year either.

What the Lakers are doing is really ill-conceived.
interesting thought heard on the colin cowherd show re lakers chances for LeBron in 2014--why would LeBron want to build kobe's legacy by giving him 2 more championships?
Originally posted by hofer36:
interesting thought heard on the colin cowherd show re lakers chances for LeBron in 2014--why would LeBron want to build kobe's legacy by giving him 2 more championships?

I think it's been made very clear that Bron doesn't care so much about the minute details of legacies, especially his own. Boy just wants to win and have fun doing it.

Regardless, don't think Bron is coming out here anyways.
Share 49ersWebzone