There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by socal9er42:
ESPN is reporting that Howard is "unlikely" to resign with the Lakers. Reason given is that Howard doesn't like D'Antoni's system.

So let me get this straight. Lakers fire Coach Brown and have said that Howard is the future of the franchise (after trading away one of the best young big men in the league in order to get Howard). They hire a Coach that runs a system that doesn't fit Howard's game while Phil is publicly saying he wants to come back.

Wow. Not the Lakers of old. Turning into a costly 1 year rental that didn't even result in the Playoffs.

1) The Lakers made the playoffs.

2) They traded Andrew Bynum for Howard, which is a net positive even if it was just a one year rental, and there's still a very good chance that they Lakers get something in return for Howard via a sign & trade.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think this really is a good reason why Howard leaves. The 30M is just not real. Howard is going to make out better going to Houston assuming he doesnt get hurt and will sign another contract after 4 years.

"If we look at the first four years of the contract, Howard would make $3,692,371.44 more with the Lakers than he would with the Rockets. Adjusting that number for California's state income tax, however, Howard would actually make $1,094, 342.38 more as a Rocket playing the majority of his games in a state with no income tax because he would save $4,786,713.82 in taxes.

As for the fifth year, the Lakers certainly have an advantage in being able to offer Dwight more long-term security, but unless he suffers a career-ending injury he is going to sign a contract after this one, meaning he will get paid for that fifth year wherever he plays. He would most likely have an opt-out, anyway, meaning the fifth year is not really a major bargaining point, again, barring injury. For what it's worth, Howard would pay $1,398,365.83 in state income tax in California if he were to play out the end of that deal.

The other factor involves where games are played. NBA players pay 1/82nd of their income tax to the states where they play, providing those states have state income tax. As a member of the Rockets, Howard would play all of his home games and the highest possible number of his away games in states with no income tax. Texas is obvious, with the San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks in the same division, but there are also two games in Tennessee and two games in Florida, the other NBA states without income tax for a total of 49 games each season. As a Laker, Howard would only play ten games in those states.

The comparison doesn't end with state income tax, however; the cost of living must be considered, as well. Manhattan Beach is the place to live in LA, and high end houses in that posh part of California runs $1,101 per square foot. How does that compare to, say, The Woodlands in Houston, the correspondingly cool place to live? A high end house in The Woodlands would run just $108.00 per square foot, or roughly one-tenth the cost of its counterpart in Manhattan Beach. Additionally, the salary indicator based on cost of living demonstrates that in order to make the equivalent of $20 million in Houston you have to make $30,330,020 to live comparably in Los Angeles."

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-2-why-dwight-howard-chooses-houston#r6o498fjfqwJjx5U.99

I don't have the time to find it right now, but Larry Coon actually refuted this piece pretty well, showing that Howard would in fact make more in LA, but it's nowhere near $30M. I'd also argue that the cost of living in Houston is having to live in Houston.

But ultimately...ya...the $30M thing is a myth.
  • IT21
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I don't have the time to find it right now, but Larry Coon actually refuted this piece pretty well, showing that Howard would in fact make more in LA, but it's nowhere near $30M. I'd also argue that the cost of living in Houston is having to live in Houston.

How are taxes in Texas compared to California?
Calis are turrible

Pete, if you just look at the first 4 years though wouldnt Howard do better in Houston? The 5th year is guaranteed with the Lakers and not Houston but unless he really goes downhill or gets hurt he will still sign a big deal for that year.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

Calis are turrible

NO state tax in Texas. So I would say its a lot better. LOL
  • IT21

damn, i bet it almost evens out then lol

Pete, if you just look at the first 4 years though wouldnt Howard do better in Houston? The 5th year is guaranteed with the Lakers and not Houston but unless he really goes downhill or gets hurt he will still sign a big deal for that year.

Yes, Houston would be better for Howard through the first 4 years. That said, my understanding is that there are other taxes in Texas in lieu of state taxes that don't exist in CA, so the difference isn't as significant as it seems on the surface, with no state taxes in TX. Don't remember what those are though. Maybe dobo or pants can speak to that.

I think Houston is a better destination for Dwight for a variety of reasons, but my gut tells me that he doesn't end up there. He's never really expressed an interest to play there, and the only reason they've been mentioned is because they have cap space. I think Dwight gets signed & traded to either the Clippers or Brooklyn. I have no inside info on this, it's just my gut instinct. The Lakers have said that they won't help Dwight in a sign-and-trade, but I don't believe them. Even if they don't feel that way, they have to say that while they're trying to keep him. If Dwight's willing to walk to Houston or Dallas...even if those places aren't his preference...the Lakers would be incredibly foolish not to facilitate a sign & trade to get him to a more preferred destination and get something in return.

Yes, Houston would be better for Howard through the first 4 years. That said, my understanding is that there are other taxes in Texas in lieu of state taxes that don't exist in CA, so the difference isn't as significant as it seems on the surface, with no state taxes in TX. Don't remember what those are though. Maybe dobo or pants can speak to that.

I think Houston is a better destination for Dwight for a variety of reasons, but my gut tells me that he doesn't end up there. He's never really expressed an interest to play there, and the only reason they've been mentioned is because they have cap space. I think Dwight gets signed & traded to either the Clippers or Brooklyn. I have no inside info on this, it's just my gut instinct. The Lakers have said that they won't help Dwight in a sign-and-trade, but I don't believe them. Even if they don't feel that way, they have to say that while they're trying to keep him. If Dwight's willing to walk to Houston or Dallas...even if those places aren't his preference...the Lakers would be incredibly foolish not to facilitate a sign & trade to get him to a more preferred destination and get something in return.

I seriously doubt that they would move him to the Clippers. ( well unless Blake was coming back ) Just seems that they would not want him in their backyard playing at the Staples and having to hear about it every single day if he lead the Clips to the finals. Brooklyn maybe although they dont have any picks to trade now and you would think the Lakers would want that back. Really hard to say at this point but my gut does tell me Houston or Dallas when its all said and done.
I seriously doubt that they would move him to the Clippers. ( well unless Blake was coming back ) Just seems that they would not want him in their backyard playing at the Staples and having to hear about it every single day if he lead the Clips to the finals. Brooklyn maybe although they dont have any picks to trade now and you would think the Lakers would want that back. Really hard to say at this point but my gut does tell me Houston or Dallas when its all said and done.

I think Blake would be who was coming back in that scenario. He'd pretty much have to be, because of salary, although you have a point regarding the "across the hall" issues. That bothers the s**t out of me, because we shouldn't be worrying about other franchises, but it probably has validity.

Regarding Brooklyn, I think it would be a 3 way trade. Brook Lopez had a very good year and has value around the league. I think it'd be something like...

Brooklyn gets: Dwight Howard
3rd team gets: Brook Lopez
Lakers get: Youth/picks from 3rd team

Teams like Cleveland, Washington, Portland, Phoenix, & Sacramento come to mind as that 3rd team.
LOL Brooke Lopez to the kings. Srsly Pete

No
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

Calis are turrible

Property taxes are very high in Texas.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jun 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM ]
Originally posted by marshniners24:

No

I think Cousins has just about worn out his welcome in Sacramento, and I think Vivek is going to try to build a playoff team ASAP rather than do a slow rebuild. I'm just throwing teams out there that I think would be interested in an established C.
Originally posted by marshniners24:

No

I think Cousins has just about worn out his welcome in Sacramento, and I think Vivek is going to try to build a playoff team ASAP rather than do a slow rebuild. I'm just throwing teams out there that I think would be interested in an established C.

Vivek and the new GM both came out and said Cousins could be the best center in the game and that he is their future pretty much.

They are bringing in Shaq to mentor and teach him lol

I think Blake would be who was coming back in that scenario. He'd pretty much have to be, because of salary, although you have a point regarding the "across the hall" issues. That bothers the s**t out of me, because we shouldn't be worrying about other franchises, but it probably has validity.

Regarding Brooklyn, I think it would be a 3 way trade. Brook Lopez had a very good year and has value around the league. I think it'd be something like...

Brooklyn gets: Dwight Howard
3rd team gets: Brook Lopez
Lakers get: Youth/picks from 3rd team

Teams like Cleveland, Washington, Portland, Phoenix, & Sacramento come to mind as that 3rd team.

If the Lakers could get back Blake in a deal for Howard they should pull the trigger regardless of being in the same city. He may not be a franchise player on his own but certainly a young piece to build around for the future.
Anybody going to make an offseason thread? Otherwise...

Kobe Bryant doesn't think it's his place to persuade Dwight Howard to re-sign with the Los Angeles Lakers.

"It has to be his decision. The last thing you want to do is convince a person that they want to be here," Bryant said. "If you have to convince them when challenges or adversity comes up next season, it's very easy to say, 'Well they had to convince me to be here anyway, I really didn't want to be here, I'd rather be (somewhere else) but they sold me on it.' You want it to be his decision. When it's something that's rooted inside of him, it's something he champions. I just want to be there to assist his decision."

Still, Bryant has made no secret of his desire to see Howard back with the Lakers.

"I think his talent level, his defensive prowess," Bryant said. "We saw what he could do at the end of the year when we all started clicking … I think that makes him extremely, extremely valuable."

Hakeem Olajuwon and James Harden will join members of the Houston Rockets' front office and Kevin McHale in their recruiting pitch to Dwight Howard shortly after midnight EST on Sunday.

The Rockets are reportedly one of the frontrunners to sign Howard this offseason.

Howard is considering leaving the Los Angeles Lakers where he did not enjoy playing in Mike D'Antoni's offense.

Sam Amick of USA Today reports that the Golden State Warriors will meet with Howard on Monday, along with the Atlanta Hawks.

The Dallas Mavericks will meet with Howard on Tuesday, according to ESPN's Chris Broussard. Mark Cuban and Dirk Nowitzki will lead the Mavericks' contingent.

The Lakers will also meet on Tuesday with Howard.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com