There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Chicago gets: Kobe Bryant
Lakers get: Jimmy Butler, Charlotte's 1st Round pick (probably a 2016 pick), Carlos Boozer, Richard Hamilton, Kirk Hinrich

Lakers do this because: They desperately need assets to rebuild. Butler's a superb player making pennies on a rookie contract, Charlotte's 1st Rounder will likely be very high, because they're a terrible organization, and the other guys are included to make the trade legal.

Chicago does this because: Rose/Kobe/Deng/Gibson/Noah is arguably the title favorite.

Kobe does this because: Why would he want to spend his last years on a rebuilding team with no shot at a title?

Charlotte gets: Pau Gasol
Lakers get: #4 pick in '13 draft, Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas

Believe it or not, this is a rumor coming out of Charlotte. They would be insane to do this, but they're a terrible organization, so who knows. They'd like to get out of Thomas' contract (expiring in '15), want front court scoring, and don't think highly of this draft. Like I said, I think it's insane, but you absolutely do this if you're the Lakers.

So anyway, after all the , it comes down to this IMO when it comes to rebuilding the Lakers.

Step 1) Liquidate all of your assets NOW, while you still can. And that includes Kobe. Let's say that the deals above went through & MWP was amnestied.

2013-14 Lakers

PG: Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Kirk Hinrich
SG: Ben Gordon, Richard Hamilton
SF: Jimmy Butler
PF: Carlos Boozer, Anthony Bennett (drafted w/4th pick)
C: Jordan Hill, Robert Sacre

That team suuuuuucks. Probably the worst in the NBA. Puts the Lakers in great position to get either Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker. IMO, Wiggins is a sure fire superstar, and Parker's close behind. But let's say we don't get a Top 2 pick with that team, and draft #4 and get Andrew Harrison instead.

2014 Free Agents of Note: LeBron James (but let's say he stays in Miami)

2014-15 Lakers

PG: Andrew Harrison
SG: someone bad
SF: Jimmy Butler
PF: Anthony Bennett
C: Someone bad

This is probably still one of the 5 worst teams in the NBA. The Lakers pick is Top 5 protected in '15, but even if they lose it they're in good shape.

It makes a lot of sense to blow up the roster if Dwight signs with another team...but I don't think Chicago will do that trade in the summer. Kobe won't be healthy, and Chicago won't move that pick and Butler for so much uncertainty.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
It makes a lot of sense to blow up the roster if Dwight signs with another team...but I don't think Chicago will do that trade in the summer. Kobe won't be healthy, and Chicago won't move that pick and Butler for so much uncertainty.

Completely disagree. Kobe's already doing calf raises and is on track to be back at the beginning of the season. Worst case scenario, he misses the first two months. No way does Chicago say no to surrender Jimmy Butler and a 1st Round pick 3 years from now in exchange for Kobe freakin' Bryant and the ability to get out of Carlos Boozer's contract, achilles injury or not.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM ]
The last two pages of this thread make me sad.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
The last two pages of this thread make me sad.

Why? The last 2 pages are laughable.The Lakers don't just blow up the franchise......especially trading Kobe?

Kobe Bryant for Kevin Love and our 2 first round draft picks

BOOM
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Why? The last 2 pages are laughable.The Lakers don't just blow up the franchise......especially trading Kobe?

Yep. Better to be sentimental and turn into the New York Knicks.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Trading Kobe would be a PR nightmare and you know it. Most fans would rather keep Kobe and be average instead of trading him and still being horrible. Makes no sense.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Trading Kobe would be a PR nightmare and you know it. Most fans would rather keep Kobe and be average instead of trading him and still being horrible. Makes no sense.

You don't trade him for the immediate future, you do it to help build the next version of a championship Laker team. Trading Shaq was a PR nightmare, and people got over it once the Lakers were title contenders again. And that trade was a big reason WHY the Lakers were title contenders again.

Fans are always gonna be reactionary and thinking about the short term. So what? That's why they shouldn't be making the decisions. Let's say Dwight walks...then what? We keep Kobe/Pau/Nash and we're a middling team that doesn't contend and isn't in the running to get one of the very highly regarded players in the '14 class? Or we trade Pau for whatever we can get in this draft, but keep an extremely pissed off Kobe Bryant so he can go on an essential farewell tour that he'd surely bristle at? And we're still not a Bottom 5 team that's in the running for the top of the '14 draft class.

Every end game of keeping Kobe around next year (if Dwight walks) leaves us with our collective dicks in our hands next summer.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM ]
Obviously trading Kobe and still sucking is to set up the future, but your very long and hopeful scenario is relying of an incredible amount of good luck and cards falling perfectly in place. In my personal opinion, I'd rather keep Kobe and let him finish his career here. I don't expect everybody to agree with me, but that's how I feel.
Obviously trading Kobe and still sucking is to set up the future, but your very long and hopeful scenario is relying of an incredible amount of good luck and cards falling perfectly in place. In my personal opinion, I'd rather keep Kobe and let him finish his career here. I don't expect everybody to agree with me, but that's how I feel.

I expect almost everyone to agree with you.

The names in my hopeful scenario are incredibly interchangeable. The point is that you trade our existing assets (Kobe, Pau) for what you can get. There's no luck involved in that. It's no different than Sam Presti getting what he could for Ray Allen & Rashard Lewis as soon as he got to Seattle. You get yourself picks & young players, and you increase your odds of one or two of them hitting. It's not luck or hopeful....it's how teams have been rebuilding for quite some time now.

Then, in the '15-17 draft classes you can do what OKC couldn't, which is sign 2 max level free agents to go along with the 4-5 young, talented players that are already on the roster. I don't think assuming that the Lakers can pull stud free agents is far fetched.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM ]
Found this interesting and putting things in perspective:

"In fact, that Time Warner windfall by itself could sustain a $100 million payroll with an $80 million luxury-tax bill for every year until 2033."
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9308573/searching-dwight-howard

That is just mind bottling.

I expect almost everyone to agree with you.

The names in my hopeful scenario are incredibly interchangeable. The point is that you trade our existing assets (Kobe, Pau) for what you can get. There's no luck involved in that. It's no different than Sam Presti getting what he could for Ray Allen & Rashard Lewis as soon as he got to Seattle. You get yourself picks & young players, and you increase your odds of one or two of them hitting. It's not luck or hopeful....it's how teams have been rebuilding for quite some time now.

Then, in the '15-17 draft classes you can do what OKC couldn't, which is sign 2 max level free agents to go along with the 4-5 young, talented players that are already on the roster. I don't think assuming that the Lakers can pull stud free agents is far fetched.

I think that's what I'm relying on most. Not rebuilding traditionally, but holding on to Kobe and landing big Free Agents down the line. I think the whole Kobe retiring after next year thing is out the window. He's not going to want to fight all the way back and then give it up after one year. In my scenario they hold on to Kobe and land a couple superstars later, with Kobe taking a lesser role into is late 30's.

Just how I feel it goes. What the hell do I know?
I think that's what I'm relying on most. Not rebuilding traditionally, but holding on to Kobe and landing big Free Agents down the line. I think the whole Kobe retiring after next year thing is out the window. He's not going to want to fight all the way back and then give it up after one year. In my scenario they hold on to Kobe and land a couple superstars later, with Kobe taking a lesser role into is late 30's.

Just how I feel it goes. What the hell do I know?

The problem is that there's not enough money to go around. Let's say Kobe gives the Lakers a HUUUUGE hometown discount and signs for $10M per year. Maxed out Free Agents are gonna make about $22M per year. That means you have an ancient Kobe Bryant + (let's say) Rajon Rondo + Marc Gasol, and don't have anything in the way of impactful young players and no more money to spend. Is that team contending for a title? Hell no. And worse yet, we're stuck where the Knicks are, as a perennial 2nd round loser with committed salaries and no flexibility.

We have to get a young stud in the draft and then acquire the superstars in FA.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM ]
Trade Pau and let Kobe sit the whole year and get Jabari Parker and build from there

Or we could tank and rub our magic 8 ball for a bunch of good luck in the draft Not to mention this team hasn't drafted somebody worth a s**t in a long time with the exception of Bynum who turned out to be injury prone as hell.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Found this interesting and putting things in perspective:

"In fact, that Time Warner windfall by itself could sustain a $100 million payroll with an $80 million luxury-tax bill for every year until 2033."
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9308573/searching-dwight-howard

That is just mind bottling.

not to mention we've got this bad boy to make it rain
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com