LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Doesn't change the fact that they were signing players off the street and starting them in the playoffs, either. They had 3 guards on their team when the season ended. Their 11th and 12th men off the bench, and a guy off the street. And the guy off the street got the start at pg. Quit acting like they had a f**king chance in that series. lol

Bro, the Lakers have talent. I expected more.

But to purposely change topic, what are the lakers going to do this offseason? I'm curious to see if they're going to strictly rebuild from the ground up OR they're going to resign dwight and acquire a superstar next year when they have cap room?
Originally posted by pdizo916:

what are the lakers going to do this offseason? I'm curious to see if they're going to strictly rebuild from the ground up OR they're going to resign dwight and acquire a superstar next year when they have cap room?

I believe their plan is to sign Dwight. Other than that, I have no idea.
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by valrod33:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9285372/phil-jackson-compares-michael-jordan-kobe-bryant-book

This.

Jordan is better, and by a wide margin. The only ppl I've known that have a hard time accepting this are Laker fans. They come up with an array of justifications to excuse Jordan's superiority over Kobe. Wouldn't be surprised to see them discount Phil Jackson just to show some Kobe love.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9285372/phil-jackson-compares-michael-jordan-kobe-bryant-book

This.

Jordan is better, and by a wide margin. The only ppl I've known that have a hard time accepting this are Laker fans. They come up with an array of justifications to excuse Jordan's superiority over Kobe. Wouldn't be surprised to see them discount Phil Jackson just to show some Kobe love.

I don't know any Laker fans personally that think Kobe is better than Jordan. I think he's easily the best player since Jordan. Maybe Lebron can take that title from him someday, but he's gotta long way to go before that happens.

Phil writes a book about something that everybody already knows just to make some $$$ and all of the sudden it's a hot topic again. I only have one response to Phil's book. "Yeah, no s**t. " lol
I don't know any Laker fans personally that think Kobe is better than Jordan. I think he's easily the best player since Jordan. Maybe Lebron can take that title from him someday, but he's gotta long way to go before that happens.

Phil writes a book about something that everybody already knows just to make some $$$ and all of the sudden it's a hot topic again. I only have one response to Phil's book. "Yeah, no s**t. " lol

Oh the lols on top of lols there.

This.

LOL, same here. My problem was always the considerably disparity that people put between them. Jordan's almost universally overrated and outside of LA Kobe is largely underrated by fans, but MJ was still the better player.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Oh the lols on top of lols there.

I know you're a bandwagon lebron fanboy, but he's gonna need more than 1 ring in a strike shortened season to claim he's the best player since Jordan. Which is why Jordan himself said he would take Kobe over lebron. Or are you here to say your opinion has more merit than Jordan's? lol
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

This.

LOL, same here. My problem was always the considerably disparity that people put between them. Jordan's almost universally overrated and outside of LA Kobe is largely underrated by fans, but MJ was still the better player.

Kobe is the best player since MJ. McGrady, Carter, Iverson, Pierce, all these guys came into the league around the same time as Kobe, and these are arguably the best players (not counting the big men such as Garnet, Duncan, Shaq) of this era. West, Chamberlin, Russel, Kareem, Magic, MJ, Kobe...all these guys dominated their eras. This is now Lebron's era.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

This.

Kobe is the best player since MJ. McGrady, Carter, Iverson, Pierce, all these guys came into the league around the same time as Kobe, and these are arguably the best players (not counting the big men such as Garnet, Duncan, Shaq) of this era. West, Chamberlin, Russel, Kareem, Magic, MJ, Kobe...all these guys dominated their eras. This is now Lebron's era.

This is actually unfair for Kobe. He played in an era with 2 extremely great players. One could argue Tim Duncan or Shaq are the greatest player of Kobe's era. Jordan's era had some great players but no one was close to as great as Duncan and Shaq. Maybe Hakeem, but only because he was in a two year zone.

Personally, I think Kobe and Michael are closer than most think with Mike having a slight edge. Kobe is just unfortunate that guys like Duncan and Shaq played in the same era. Duncan and Shaq were far beyond any second fiddle in Jordan's era. Not only that, now old Kobe has to deal with Lebron conversations that diminish what Kobe has actually done.
[ Edited by Joecool on May 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:

This.

This is actually unfair for Kobe. He played in an era with 2 extremely great players. One could argue Tim Duncan or Shaq are the greatest player of Kobe's era. Jordan's era had some great players but no one was close to as great as Duncan and Shaq. Maybe Hakeem, but only because he was in a two year zone.

Personally, I think Kobe and Michael are closer than most think with Mike having a slight edge. Kobe is just unfortunate that guys like Duncan and Shaq played in the same era. Duncan and Shaq were far beyond any second fiddle in Jordan's era. Not only that, now old Kobe has to deal with Lebron conversations that diminish what Kobe has actually done.

Duncan and Shaq are arguably the greatest players at their position, but it's a position that is limited, and can't dominate 4 quarters of a game or take over any aspect of the game.

Big men, great or not, mostly just influence that paint and mid range area; their defense mostly shows up around the paint area; they only influence so much in a game. While a guard, or small forward, can technically take over any part of the game. Assists, 3 point shot, points in the paint, offensive rebounds, and on defense they also have the potential to do it all. That's why when it comes to the greatest players off all time, I tend to only put guards or small forwards in there. Magic, MJ, Kobe..these guys could do it all on the court, and unlike big men they could put up 50+ points at will almost.

This.

Duncan and Shaq are arguably the greatest players at their position, but it's a position that is limited, and can't dominate 4 quarters of a game or take over any aspect of the game.

Big men, great or not, mostly just influence that paint and mid range area; their defense mostly shows up around the paint area; they only influence so much in a game. While a guard, or small forward, can technically take over any part of the game. Assists, 3 point shot, points in the paint, offensive rebounds, and on defense they also have the potential to do it all. That's why when it comes to the greatest players off all time, I tend to only put guards or small forwards in there. Magic, MJ, Kobe..these guys could do it all on the court, and unlike big men they could put up 50+ points at will almost.

I agree. Just saying that the 90's didn't really have players as dominant as Duncan or Shaq to take attention or titles away from Jordan. The Kobe/Shaq became a nonfactor once Kobe won it without Shaq. Also amazing how much influence Phil Jackson had in both Kobe's and Jordan's success.

This.

I agree. Just saying that the 90's didn't really have players as dominant as Duncan or Shaq to take attention or titles away from Jordan. The Kobe/Shaq became a nonfactor once Kobe won it without Shaq. Also amazing how much influence Phil Jackson had in both Kobe's and Jordan's success.

Malone was a great big man, just not that good defensively from what little i recall. Barkley was also a great player, lacked an all around game, but is still considered one of the greats. But i see what i mean, since i wouldn't consider them as good as Shaq or Duncan, close though, maybe if they had some titles. However, then you can argue that the reason they don't have titles is because MJ was so great.

This.

Malone was a great big man, just not that good defensively from what little i recall. Barkley was also a great player, lacked an all around game, but is still considered one of the greats. But i see what i mean, since i wouldn't consider them as good as Shaq or Duncan, close though, maybe if they had some titles. However, then you can argue that the reason they don't have titles is because MJ was so great.

Would be interesting to see Jordan/Pippen Bulls go against Kobe/Shaq Lakers. Personally, I think the Lakers would win. Jordan and Kobe could possibly lock each other down or Pippen on Kobe but NO ONE would be able to lock down Shaq.

Tim has 4 titles but I don't think Spurs beat the Bulls as Tim is the only great player on his team.

This.

Would be interesting to see Jordan/Pippen Bulls go against Kobe/Shaq Lakers. Personally, I think the Lakers would win. Jordan and Kobe could possibly lock each other down or Pippen on Kobe but NO ONE would be able to lock down Shaq.

Tim has 4 titles but I don't think Spurs beat the Bulls as Tim is the only great player on his team.

if i had to choose, i'd take the team phil is coaching that game
Do you guys think Phil is an attention whore at all? Last time he had a hiatus from coaching, he wrote that book that had some juicy stuff about the Kobe/Shaq thing. Now, the Jordan/Kobe thing. And his media tour where he is giving all these details about the Laker's coaching situation last year.

I know he is trying to make money off his book, but does he really need it? Is this more so he can get his attention and stay relevant? I think he loves the attention... that is why his book contains those "controversial" things that get people talking.
Share 49ersWebzone