LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by titan:
I'still can't bieve it! All time favorite player! I love the Lakers, but its not the same without KB24.

Don't worry the dynasty will prevail.

Really? I dont see that. I think the Lakers are facing some lean years. From a business sense the smart thing to do would be to release Kobe and use the amnesty on his 30M contract. I seriously doubt they will do that but it makes sense.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I'still can't bieve it! All time favorite player! I love the Lakers, but its not the same without KB24.

Really? I dont see that. I think the Lakers are facing some lean years. From a business sense the smart thing to do would be to release Kobe and use the amnesty on his 30M contract. I seriously doubt they will do that but it makes sense.

The normal recovery time for this injury is 6 to 9 months, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Kobe to lean toward the quicker end of the recovery spectrum, considering his history. That would be mid-October, meaning that he'd be ready for the first game of the season. Kobe won't be amnestied. It would be a PR/Business nightmare.

Everything coming out of Howard's camp these days indicates that he's probably going to stay, but who knows with that dude. If he re-signs, I think we'll see essentially the same team next year, and then the following year you have Dwight, Nash's expiring contract, and a ton of cap space. And the Lakers own their draft pick next year, in what is shaping up to be a superb draft. The plan all along was to give this squad 2 years to make some noise, and then let everyone expire in '14.

I don't feel as confident as I did when Dr. Buss was alive, but it tends to take this franchise about 4-5 years to get back to the championship contention. In 1991, the Lakers were in the Finals, Magic retired, there was a 5 year lull, and then we got Shaq. In 2004, we were in the Finals, traded Shaq, had a 4 year lull, and in 2008 we were back in the Finals.

The normal recovery time for this injury is 6 to 9 months, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Kobe to lean toward the quicker end of the recovery spectrum, considering his history. That would be mid-October, meaning that he'd be ready for the first game of the season. Kobe won't be amnestied. It would be a PR/Business nightmare.

Everything coming out of Howard's camp these days indicates that he's probably going to stay, but who knows with that dude. If he re-signs, I think we'll see essentially the same team next year, and then the following year you have Dwight, Nash's expiring contract, and a ton of cap space. And the Lakers own their draft pick next year, in what is shaping up to be a superb draft. The plan all along was to give this squad 2 years to make some noise, and then let everyone expire in '14.

I don't feel as confident as I did when Dr. Buss was alive, but it tends to take this franchise about 4-5 years to get back to the championship contention. In 1991, the Lakers were in the Finals, Magic retired, there was a 5 year lull, and then we got Shaq. In 2004, we were in the Finals, traded Shaq, had a 4 year lull, and in 2008 we were back in the Finals.
kobe is taking his talents ...... to south beach
Originally posted by Rocket4989:

I saw a version of that and it had one other pic of a guy taken off the court in a wheel chair cause a dislocated shoulder then It showed Paul Pierce with his injury as "???????" Then said carried off the court. I lol'd
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Oh, I agree that the Lakers wont use the amnesty on Kobe. I just think it might be the best thing to do to make the Lakers a real contender again. I just dont see them contending again with Kobe
Oh, I agree that the Lakers wont use the amnesty on Kobe. I just think it might be the best thing to do to make the Lakers a real contender again. I just dont see them contending again with Kobe

I've heard several Laker fans say the same thing, and I don't understand it. Even if he's amnestied, and assuming Howard re-signs, the Lakers won't have any cap space. His contract is set to expire at the end of next season. Amnestying him this offseason wouldn't allow the Lakers to acquire anyone else...they'd simply just be losing Kobe. I don't know how that makes them better.

I've heard several Laker fans say the same thing, and I don't understand it. Even if he's amnestied, and assuming Howard re-signs, the Lakers won't have any cap space. His contract is set to expire at the end of next season. Amnestying him this offseason wouldn't allow the Lakers to acquire anyone else...they'd simply just be losing Kobe. I don't know how that makes them better.

I stand corrected Pete. I thought if they were to amnesty Kobe they would then have cap space. If that isnt the case, then it wouldnt make sense.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
I stand corrected Pete. I thought if they were to amnesty Kobe they would then have cap space. If that isnt the case, then it wouldnt make sense.

If they amnesty Kobe (which they won't and they shouldn't), they are better off blowing up the whole team. Just keep Dwight and build around him.

My ideal scenario for them would be to keep Kobe, re-sign Dwight and then trade Gasol for someone like Kevin Love or Josh Smith to play alongside Dwight. They have to take on bad contract along with it to make it work but they have Artest and Blake with expiring contracts.

Age and mileage will make it difficult to have full recovery in 6 months, even for a guy like Kobe. Also, he will be risking another injury later in the season if he comes back and plays 60-70 games. Lakers should build a team that can stay in playoff contention with healthy Dwight for 3-4 months and then let Kobe come in and do his thing after the all-star break or whatever. There is no need for him to go through a whole season. This strategy may also give him enough rest to suit up for one more year.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

If they amnesty Kobe (which they won't and they shouldn't), they are better off blowing up the whole team. Just keep Dwight and build around him.

My ideal scenario for them would be to keep Kobe, re-sign Dwight and then trade Gasol for someone like Kevin Love or Josh Smith to play alongside Dwight. They have to take on bad contract along with it to make it work but they have Artest and Blake with expiring contracts.

Age and mileage will make it difficult to have full recovery in 6 months, even for a guy like Kobe. Also, he will be risking another injury later in the season if he comes back and plays 60-70 games. Lakers should build a team that can stay in playoff contention with healthy Dwight for 3-4 months and then let Kobe come in and do his thing after the all-star break or whatever. There is no need for him to go through a whole season. This strategy may also give him enough rest to suit up for one more year.

Agreed, even if Kobe was medically cleared after 6 months, I say give him time to get back in the rhythm of things and that he shouldn't be on the court any earlier than Christmas day. The time it will take to heal then to be able to feel confident in yourself once again and then to train and be back in elite shape, he should not rush his aging body and should take it slow.

I'm excited to see Pau tonight against San Antonio. I think we're going to see a VERY aggressive and assertive Pau these next few games and this will bode well for us in A. Having confidence in keeping Pau around next season or B. Increasing his trade value.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
I saw a version of that and it had one other pic of a guy taken off the court in a wheel chair cause a dislocated shoulder then It showed Paul Pierce with his injury as "???????" Then said carried off the court. I lol'd

more oops
[ Edited by GameOver on Apr 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM ]
another oops
[ Edited by GameOver on Apr 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone