There are 230 users in the forums

London 2012 Olympics Thread

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
way to go Lochte had to gag away gold in the relay

He didn't want Phelps to win another gold.

The race is bigger than that. We lost to the god damn French

...them and the Aussies were the favorite to win the Gold in the relay, so there is no shame in losing to them and getting a silver. But yes, these games have proved once again how great Phelps was in 2004 and 2008. Lochte is a great swimmer, he is no Phelps.

Miss Franklin is going to be a f**king superstar in 2016...
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Watching the games now in London..I can't help to think how bad @ss it would have been it S.F had gotten these Olympics...

It was the 2016 games we were bidding for.

and we dropped out due to no stadium, we got one after all
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
way to go Lochte had to gag away gold in the relay

He didn't want Phelps to win another gold.

The race is bigger than that. We lost to the god damn French

...them and the Aussies were the favorite to win the Gold in the relay, so there is no shame in losing to them and getting a silver. But yes, these games have proved once again how great Phelps was in 2004 and 2008. Lochte is a great swimmer, he is no Phelps.

Miss Franklin is going to be a f**king superstar in 2016...

I know we weren't favored but we had the lead going into the last leg and Mr. "It's My Time" Lochte gagged
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
We will definitely host either the 2024 or 2028 Summer Olympics. Hopefully with Niners stadium, and the new Stanford Stadium - Bay Area will be the preferred destination for Olympics in United States.
Misty May is a Dodgers fan
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I know we weren't favored but we had the lead going into the last leg and Mr. "It's My Time" Lochte gagged

He's over-hyped...didn't even get a medal in 200M free. So disappointed...and the men gymnastic team choked big time today. Great Britain won the f**king medal in Gymnastic and not US...gotta be kidding me

I'll be sooooo pissed if Lochte doesn't redeem himself in the 4 x 200 free relay. I really hope he doesn't anchor the last leg. I want Phelps on that last 200M
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jul 31, 2012 at 12:55 AM ]
We will definitely host either the 2024 or 2028 Summer Olympics. Hopefully with Niners stadium, and the new Stanford Stadium - Bay Area will be the preferred destination for Olympics in United States.

I don't agree we'll be the preferred destination. There's plenty of other cities that could do just as good of a job. Stanford is not really an attraction. It's pretty small, and has a very limited range for use. The Niners stadium in Santa Clara might not be a huge draw since it is so far from the actual host city. There's plenty of places that can be used around the bay area for the different sports, but certain stuff would definitely need to be built. And good luck with that s**t around here.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I don't agree we'll be the preferred destination. There's plenty of other cities that could do just as good of a job. Stanford is not really an attraction. It's pretty small, and has a very limited range for use. The Niners stadium in Santa Clara might not be a huge draw since it is so far from the actual host city. There's plenty of places that can be used around the bay area for the different sports, but certain stuff would definitely need to be built. And good luck with that s**t around here.

SF did bid for 2016 games, and is likely to bid for 2024 games. I think we have a decent chance. Warriors will have a new stadium in SF, Giants stadium should hold up pretty well till then - A's are likely to have a new stadium by then...maybe Raiders too (unlikely) and Stanford is big enough to hold many of the small events. Marathons and cycling events through Golden Gate will be spectacular! Of course, these venues will not hold the most attractive events - a stadium for that will have to built if we're awarded the Olympics. But, we have plenty of stadiums to hold field hockey, soccer, and other events that require big stadiums.

I believe BA does have rest of the infrastructural requirement. We will have quite a few new attractive stadiums, we have the public transportation and freeways to go along with it...and will only get better with couple new stadiums coming up soon...plenty of international airports to handle the tourists, we have one of the most attractive cities in the World...so it's not crazy. If London can hold them in 2012, I think SF and Bay Area can hold them in 12 years.

SF did bid for 2016 games, and is likely to bid for 2024 games. I think we have a decent chance. Warriors will have a new stadium in SF, Giants stadium should hold up pretty well till then - A's are likely to have a new stadium by then...maybe Raiders too (unlikely) and Stanford is big enough to hold many of the small events. Marathons and cycling events through Golden Gate will be spectacular! Of course, these venues will not hold the most attractive events - a stadium for that will have to built if we're awarded the Olympics. But, we have plenty of stadiums to hold field hockey, soccer, and other events that require big stadiums.

I believe BA does have rest of the infrastructural requirement. We will have quite a few new attractive stadiums, we have the public transportation and freeways to go along with it...and will only get better with couple new stadiums coming up soon...plenty of international airports to handle the tourists, we have one of the most attractive cities in the World...so it's not crazy. If London can hold them in 2012, I think SF and Bay Area can hold them in 12 years.

IMO, if SF ever gets it, the games should be held in the Aug to at the latest early Oct timeframe as those are the best months weather-wise in the city proper (now if most of the events will be held in Bay Area suburbs and as far afield as probably Sacto, then probably not, seeing as London has been able to host with sometimes less than ideal and even overcast July/August weather so far).

Of course, the games have been held in late summer/early autumn before, but those occasions all occurred in the Southern Hemisphere (2 in Australia and the next one in Brazil).
olympics in sf would be raw! plus i don't work out there so i wouldn't have to deal with traffic lol

China is the new east germany
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Spoiler******Spoiler******

Ugh...Phelps came in second - lead the whole race and lost on the last stroke!

He's over-hyped...didn't even get a medal in 200M free. So disappointed...and the men gymnastic team choked big time today. Great Britain won the f**king medal in Gymnastic and not US...gotta be kidding me

Nerr nerr nerr!
Originally posted by English:

Nerr nerr nerr!

GB needs all the medals they can get lol
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Nerr nerr nerr!

Nothin' against GB...but it was pretty shocking that they placed ahead of US in gymnastic. In the end, I was glad they moved up to win the silver. The US women brought home the Gold
Share 49ersWebzone