There are 204 users in the forums

Most memorable sports moment you witnessed live

Non - Niner....

Live:
1) Will Clark getting a hit off Mitch Williams to put the Giants in the World Series
2) Sitting at Candlestick when the Earthquake hit

On TV
1) Giants Game 7 of 2010 WS to win their first title in SF
2) Giants Game 6 of 2010 NLCS to beat Phillies ( never so nervous for any game)
3) USA Hockey win over Russia
Easy for me....

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
The most memorable moment I witnessed in person was watching Kobe drop 65 on the Blazers and seeing the best basketball shot I've ever seen.

I'm partial to the Rex Chapman buzzer beater in the 97 playoffs against the Sonics as the greatest shot I've ever seen. I must have practiced that shot about a million times over on the playgrounds of the mean streets of Orangevale in the months that followed, and I don't think I ever made it. It's a shame there's no video out there with better quality.

[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Jul 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM ]
  • Jiks

Live, non Niner?

Gooch's 333

Most memorable and greatest moment in sports i have ever witnessed. Glad I brought my son to this, because now he is deeply rooted into the 49ersEmpire. #Priceless
[ Edited by nicedraw94080 on Jul 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM ]
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
I'm partial to the Rex Chapman buzzer beater in the 97 playoffs against the Sonics as the greatest shot I've ever seen. I must have practiced that shot about a million times over on the playgrounds of the mean streets of Orangevale in the months that followed, and I don't think I ever made it. It's a shame there's no video out there with better quality.

Even as a non-Suns fan, I too practiced that shot a ton of times. (going left though) One of the great playoff moments of the 90's.

The reason I say that about the Kobe shot though is that there's no element of flukiness to it. Even though the Chapman shot is a great shot, there's some degree of "throw it up and hope it goes in" to it. The Kobe shot incorporated several different elements that were a 10 on the degree-of-difficulty scale, but they were all basketball fundamentals.

1) V-cuts from weak to strong, opponent switches, which is really only something that you do to top notch scorers. He still beats that to get the inbounds pass.

2) Gets doubled in the corner, dribbles hard baseline, and creates space (ahem ) with his off arm.

3) Then does a front turn from left to right when most every fadeaway you'll ever see will have the guy pivoting in the direction of his shooting hand, and nails it over two guys.

This one's pretty good too.

I knew you were gonna go the "degree of luck" argument as I was typing that up.

In defense of the Chapman shot, yeah it was a spinning, falling away out of bounds and off one foot shot, but if you look at his form from the waist up, it was pretty good all things considered.

Also, I believe that year, Michael Jordan made more in one day than Rex Chapman made for the entire year. One of the greatest value-based contracts ever. Chapman was awesome that whole year, averaging 14 per in the regular season (18 in March/April), and 24 in the 1st round against the Sonics.
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Jul 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I saw the game vs. saints last year in person

one of the most amazing experiences of my life
The Raiders getting blown out in the Super Bowl

Since I know how to read, I wont post anything Niner related.

And since my personal understanding of "witnessed live" means was at the stadium/arena when it happened, here is my list:

-Game 3 of the Warriors Mavericks playoff series in 2007 (the electricity in the crowd was unmatched in any professional sporting event I have ever attended)

-Game 6 of the Warriors Mavericks playoff series in 2007

-Bonds hitting 756

-UCLA coming back to defeat Gonzaga (Adam Morrison crying on court game)

-Giants clinching division on the last day of the season in 2010

-Brian Johnson's homerun against the Dodgers in 1997

-Dave Dravecky's comeback game versus the reds in 1989
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Really the only one I was at that mattered was game 7 of the WC Semi Finals Houston vs Phoenix. I was 19 and my buddy's mom worked for a guy who owned the Summit so we had seats one row behind the PHX bench, heckling Danny Ainge the whole game. Houston had been down 3-1 and Barkley had guaranteed it was over. The Rockets game back to force the game 7, and rookie Sam Cassell had his coming out party and Houston went on to win the first championship of any kind for the city. Because we were in pretty much every shot that showed their bench were are visible in some of the highlights and classic games type stuff. Nice time capsule.
Off the top of my head

Saw in person:

Sleepy Floyd's 51 pt playoff performance
Kareem's speech before his last game vs the Warriors in Oakland.
Worthy's speech to the Oakland crowd less than a week after Magic's HIV announcement
National Champion Notre Dame vs Stanford (Oct '89) - Rocket Ismail's kick-return for a TD
Notre Dame home game with my Dad
72-win Bulls vs Warriors
Both home games in the 1987 NLCS (Series MVP Jeffrey Leonard in a losing effort )
Bonds hitting 2 HRs in LA on opening day- 2002
1987 All-Star game in Oakland
'94 Brazil World Cup squad scrimmage vs Stanford
Jason Kidd win a state HS Championship
Saw the 1990 (or '91?) UNLV Runnin' Rebels @ SJSU. I would have gone both years, but the 9ers hosted a post-season game that same day, so I chose to attend that, instead. )

Watched on tv:

Howard Cosell announcing John Lennon's assassination on MNF
Boom Boom Mancini/Kim fight
Italia wins the World Cup
Warrior/Mavs upset
'89 World Series/Earthquake
Giants entire post-season/ WS Championship
[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Jul 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM ]

I watched Jesse Owens win a gold medal in the Olympics. Boast and I were there. Very cool moment.
Share 49ersWebzone