There are 240 users in the forums

Who is the best Player in baseball right now?

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Best player right now............. Josh Hamilton

Player that would be #1 on teams list that they would want.... Mike Trout

This
I think Votto is underrated though

Kemp is up there

Originally posted by DaManRathman:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Kemp is overrated. Don't crown him bros.

He is good no doubt, but I don't think he is the best player in game today

Kemp is overrated? Please explain this.

lol seriously. I'm looking forward to your explanation
[ Edited by ImaMod on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Best player right now............. Josh Hamilton

Player that would be #1 on teams list that they would want.... Mike Trout

This
I think Votto is underrated though

Kemp is up there

Originally posted by DaManRathman:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Kemp is overrated. Don't crown him bros.

He is good no doubt, but I don't think he is the best player in game today

Kemp is overrated? Please explain this.

lol seriously. I'm looking forward to your explanation

I bet its cuz he plays for the Dodgers
I'll try and explain for him......

First, to get this out of the way, I am not hating on Kemp. I think he is one of the best (if not THE best) hitter in the game today. BUT, hitting is not the only thing I am going to judge him on.

Fielding: One of the WORST gold glove awards in Major League history. This dude Kemp is NOT a good centerfielder. He makes bonehead mistakes, gets poor reads on balls, and takes terrible routes. Sometimes, his speed can make up for his lack of reading balls well, but often times it doesnt. His UZR is horrendous for a supposed gold glover. He has a pretty good arm though. With all that said, I would say Kemp is average at defense.

Baserunning: Kemp is not a good baserunner either. His career stolen base to stolen base attempts ratio is bad. He gets picked off in key situations. He doesnt read the ball well off the bat (much like when playing defense), and leaves a lot of extra bases on the field due to this. Once again, he is very fast so sometimes his spee can make up for his lack of reading the balls well, but often times it doesnt.

That is my honest explanation. One of the best in the game at hitting, average or below average at everything else. Cant call him the best in the game with that being said.
nobody mentioned Robinson Cano.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I'll try and explain for him......

First, to get this out of the way, I am not hating on Kemp. I think he is one of the best (if not THE best) hitter in the game today. BUT, hitting is not the only thing I am going to judge him on.

Fielding: One of the WORST gold glove awards in Major League history. This dude Kemp is NOT a good centerfielder. He makes bonehead mistakes, gets poor reads on balls, and takes terrible routes. Sometimes, his speed can make up for his lack of reading balls well, but often times it doesnt. His UZR is horrendous for a supposed gold glover. He has a pretty good arm though. With all that said, I would say Kemp is average at defense.

Baserunning: Kemp is not a good baserunner either. His career stolen base to stolen base attempts ratio is bad. He gets picked off in key situations. He doesnt read the ball well off the bat (much like when playing defense), and leaves a lot of extra bases on the field due to this. Once again, he is very fast so sometimes his spee can make up for his lack of reading the balls well, but often times it doesnt.

That is my honest explanation. One of the best in the game at hitting, average or below average at everything else. Cant call him the best in the game with that being said.

You must not live in LA or watch Matt Kemp play very much. He IS a very good outfielder now. I dont know how many super catches he made last year for the Dodgers but it was a lot. As for baserunning.. he had one bad year 2010. Other than that he has stolen 40/51, 35/46 and 34/42. Calling him a bad baserunner is a joke.

If Kemp was a Giant you would be calling him the greatest 5 tool player since Willie Mays. He is easily one of the top position players in baseball and calling him overrated is just stupid.
Andrew McCutchen is the hottest player in the majors over the past couple of weeks. He's been seriously flaunting his 5-tool abilities.

But yeah, Kemp was living up to the hype before he pulled that hammy.

Josh Hamilton is definitely the most feared slugger in the league right now.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Joey Votto. And its not close.

Please. Votto is great but its ridiculous to say it isnt close.

No its not. The stats show Votto's production is far beyond any other hitter in the league.

He is doing more to help his team score runs than any other player in the majors right now. Thats just a fact.
[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Jul 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
When healthy, Matt Kemp.

But right now I'd have to go Mike Trout.

No its not. The stats show Votto's production is far beyond any other hitter in the league.

He is doing more to help his team score runs than any other player in the majors right now. Thats just a fact.

He's a beast, but I think that votto's knee injury has kept him out of the lineup a few times over the last month.

McCutch's #s are just as good as Votto's, plus his team is in first place in their division. (yeah, it's the Pirates, but still)

Plus, Votto has Bruce and BPhillips to aid him. McCutch has...?
[ Edited by Jigga on Jul 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM ]
  • iohk
  • Veteran
Albert pujols. Has been for the last ten years. And after a slow start will tear up the second half.

the dude who does not pull the ball foul or hit infield popups would get my vote
Originally posted by birdieben:
nobody mentioned Robinson Cano.

Best 2B for sure, but probably top 10 in the league easy.

Matt Kemp's defense is average at best unfortunately and I watch the Dodgers a lot. However, he's probably the only 40/40 threat in the majors at this point in time and I'd take a healthy Kemp over anyone in the league.

Mike Trout's going to be ridiculous, if I were starting a franchise it'd be a toss up between him and Harper.
Originally posted by Jigga:

He's a beast, but I think that votto's knee injury has kept him out of the lineup a few times over the last month.

McCutch's #s are just as good as Votto's, plus his team is in first place in their division. (yeah, it's the Pirates, but still)

Plus, Votto has Bruce and BPhillips to aid him. McCutch has...?

McCutchen's numbers are close, but not just as good.

.451 v. .437 wOBA, 186 v. 180 wRC+

I would put McCutchen 2nd in terms of pure hitting. You could almost call McCutchen the best player in the league if you were taking positional scarcity and fielding into account, but Votto's WAR is higher as well.

Yes it is. Its one thing to say you think he is the best. Its another to say that it "isnt even close" I think Votto is great but he plays in perhaps the best hitters park in baseball. In the NL he is 21st in RBI and 14th in HR. As for speed.. just 5 sbs. His home/away splits are telling as well. On the road he has only 4 hrs and 18 rbi.

This year I dont think its a "fact: that he does more to help his team score runs" than anyone else. McCutchen leads him in HRS, Runs, RBI. total bases, stolen bases, sac flies and other areas I'm sure.

I think Joey Votto is a top 5 player in the game but I simply do not buy that he is SO much ahead of Josh Hamilton, Matt Kemp, Andrew McCutchen.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran

Yes it is. Its one thing to say you think he is the best. Its another to say that it "isnt even close" I think Votto is great but he plays in perhaps the best hitters park in baseball. In the NL he is 21st in RBI and 14th in HR. As for speed.. just 5 sbs. His home/away splits are telling as well. On the road he has only 4 hrs and 18 rbi.

This year I dont think its a "fact: that he does more to help his team score runs" than anyone else. McCutchen leads him in HRS, Runs, RBI. total bases, stolen bases, sac flies and other areas I'm sure.

I think Joey Votto is a top 5 player in the game but I simply do not buy that he is SO much ahead of Josh Hamilton, Matt Kemp, Andrew McCutchen.

I do believe the title of this thread is BEST PLAYER in the game. Not best hitter. That means, running, throwing, stealing, hitting, and defense.

Mike Trout.
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone