There are 234 users in the forums

The Soccer Thread 12/13

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kunged:
Thanks, just started posting again after a little break, so hope to post here more often.

I agree that teams are starting to adopt it and when done right it is incredibly effective. However, I would argue that a well drilled team (ala a Mourinho team) with top quality players can have a reasonable chance of stopping it. They want to draw people out of position, so if you are fit enough and dedicated enough to track runners etc you can limit it.

The Chelsea example wasn't a great example I'll give you that, they were incredibly lucky at times. However, some of the recent El Classicos have shown a blueprint of how to beat Barca on a "consistent" basis (I use the term consistent very loosely, mainly to mean having a good chance before any match)

If you mean move Dani Alves into a CB spot I would disagree. I always find he gets pulled out of position and leaves space in behind him when he plays RB (typical Brazilian wing back lol) so I think it would be even more of a problem if he played CB. I also don't think he has the height or strength to match up against a centre forward. Whilst you could argue the DMs would help protect him, I think they would end up compensating for him too much and dropping too far back undermining the DM role.

Iniesta could be effective, but I would argue that Ribery and Robben can be physical when they want to and I don't think Iniesta would be able to provide the defensive cover when they are on the attack. I know you could say if he can't cope physically on the wing he wouldn't be able to at CM, but I think as a CM you get a bit more lee way when positioning yourself and more licence to roam so he can pick and choose where he has to "get physical".

Not conceding is key. If Barca go to the Nou camp ahead, or with the away goal there is a lot less pressure and they will beat Bayern as they can play their own game. Bayern will want to win the first leg, or draw it (0-0) and grab an away goal. If that happens and Barca have to chase the game I could see Bayern winning at the Nou Camp, swift counter-attacking. But for that to happen they will need to set themselves up i.e. A long-winded way to say I agree with you about the away goal haha

I will say that Messi changed the game, as only he can, but PSG aren't quite the same team as Bayern, either way it should be interesting.

Oh yea, I agree - PSG and Bayern are on a different level.

Yea, away goal is the key. I can't wait for this tie. It's a dream match-up. There is no good option for Barca at CB...and I just feel he will be better than Adrianno. Dani Alves has himself suggested that he can fill-in at CB and I think he can do a good enough job. Yes, he is out of position at times at the wings, but a LOT of good RBs who are asked to attack leave space behind them. At CB, he won't be asked to attack and has the speed to recover. Right now, if the back-four are out of position, they have no shot at recovering. That changes with Dani Alves.

Iniesta has played a lot of games at the wing. Last year and this year. Also, during games - he does float out from time to time because it gives Messi more space in the middle. Barca has to do something to counter the speed of Bayern and the best way to go about it is either put more speed at CB or you play with two defensive mid-fielders.

It will interesting to see what they do. I'm so excited for this match-up. It should have been the final last year. Can't wait.
Soccer is such a HUGE sport. How do you pick a team outside of the national teams?
All the different leagues and the teams... kind of overwhelming for a Futbol noob.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Oh yea, I agree - PSG and Bayern are on a different level.

Yea, away goal is the key. I can't wait for this tie. It's a dream match-up. There is no good option for Barca at CB...and I just feel he will be better than Adrianno. Dani Alves has himself suggested that he can fill-in at CB and I think he can do a good enough job. Yes, he is out of position at times at the wings, but a LOT of good RBs who are asked to attack leave space behind them. At CB, he won't be asked to attack and has the speed to recover. Right now, if the back-four are out of position, they have no shot at recovering. That changes with Dani Alves.

Iniesta has played a lot of games at the wing. Last year and this year. Also, during games - he does float out from time to time because it gives Messi more space in the middle. Barca has to do something to counter the speed of Bayern and the best way to go about it is either put more speed at CB or you play with two defensive mid-fielders.

It will interesting to see what they do. I'm so excited for this match-up. It should have been the final last year. Can't wait.

Tbh, I haven't seen enough of the Barcelona backups/youth to comment on who they might be able to put into CB. I just think that he could potentially be terrible, not tall, lightweight, gets caugh out of position. Those could make for a dangerous combo at CB, especially if they start crossing balls in.

It's not that he won't be asked to attack or that wing backs often leave space behind them, it's more down to has natural instinct. I don't think he will be able to help himself and I think he would get drawn out of position.

I think the two DMs is a better option for Barca, it might make it harder to attack, but they still should create some opportunities, especially if Messi is playing well.
One thing we can definitely agree on is that this is going to be a great game!
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Soccer is such a HUGE sport. How do you pick a team outside of the national teams?
All the different leagues and the teams... kind of overwhelming for a Futbol noob.

Everyone is different, some guys pick a team because they like the way they play or they have a favourite player playing there. I chose a local team (Fulham), but I realise not everyone might have a "local" team. If not I am always drawn to the under dog and teams who punch above their weight. Of the teams remaining I will be rooting for Dortmund.

If I was you I would pick a league I like/can easily watch, see if there are any players you like/have a connection with a team relative lived there once, visited there etc.

I would (with extreme bias) recommend Fulham. Great small club, generally an underdog, really nice Stadium on the river in London haha

Everyone is different, some guys pick a team because they like the way they play or they have a favourite player playing there. I chose a local team (Fulham), but I realise not everyone might have a "local" team. If not I am always drawn to the under dog and teams who punch above their weight. Of the teams remaining I will be rooting for Dortmund.

If I was you I would pick a league I like/can easily watch, see if there are any players you like/have a connection with a team relative lived there once, visited there etc.

I would (with extreme bias) recommend Fulham. Great small club, generally an underdog, really nice Stadium on the river in London haha

I will have to look into it. I wish the World Cup was more frequent, as I really enjoyed that. But, I get that it has a long build-up.
Too bad the US doesn't have a comparable league to those in Europe.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Bayern will win nothing as Robben will choke it away

last years champions league final

breakaway vs Spain in the world cup final

Top 5 best players in the world...only to *cough cough*
  • NickV
  • Veteran
It has to be a harder chance for him to score. Like this beauty

One of the best volleys I have seen
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Oh and this will be a Real vs Bayern final.

IMO
  • NickV
  • Veteran
One more thing. Benfica will win the Europa league and come back stronger in next seasons champions league.

b***hes

I will have to look into it. I wish the World Cup was more frequent, as I really enjoyed that. But, I get that it has a long build-up.
Too bad the US doesn't have a comparable league to those in Europe.

Haha, it would be nice, but in that case I think it would end up losing it's appeal.

I am not too familiar with the US league, but I understand the league there is growing. They even manage to attract some players away from Premiership contracts...

Just start watching without a favorite and after you get to know the teams, pick from there. I'd suggest you watch the games on tues/wed cause the 4 best teams in the world will be playing
Originally posted by NickV:
Bayern will win nothing as Robben will choke it away

last years champions league final

breakaway vs Spain in the world cup final

Top 5 best players in the world...only to *cough cough*

I'm a huge bayern fan be he is not a top 5 player but he is dangerous. Ribery>robben
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Barca tiki taka?

No

Benfica tiki taka

2 more league wins and then we can win the title away at Porto....would be sweet sweet justice after they won the title in our house 2 years ago.
Barcelona is torture for viewers
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickV:
Barca tiki taka?

No

Benfica tiki taka

2 more league wins and then we can win the title away at Porto....would be sweet sweet justice after they won the title in our house 2 years ago.

That's pretty sick! Love watching that kind of passing.
Share 49ersWebzone