There are 284 users in the forums

Mayweather vs Cotto and Canelo vs Mosley (May 5th HBO PPV)

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fropwns:
Boxing is dead.

I took this from the thread you closed. lemme guess, you're a UFC fan.

Either way, Floyd is guaranteed 32M for this fight. Again, 32 MILLION for 36 minutes and thats not counting what he will get for PPV buys. For a sport that's dead, they sure are paying Floyd a shvtload of money.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Amir:
dude, no one said floyd isn't to blame. but those that follow it know that he's not the only one responsible for this fight not happening

25% floyd
25% manny
50% arum

I understand you're a pac man fan, as am I, but Arum is a big reason for this fight not happening.

I personally think it's more Mayweather since he called Manny out for blood doping and seems to have more excuses, but I agree that both are "milking" their fight together because both fighters are making tons of money without fighting each other. The problem is that if one of these guys loses then it makes the fight a lot less interesting.

It's another reason why boxing is doomed. Since you have three different associations and there isn't a formal structure to force these fighters to fight....why should care about boxing if they won't have the fight that everyone wants to see. And there should be a rematch in the contract that they would have two fights minimum. So that's a huge problem.

I also have a problem with the Judges in boxing, but that can always be an issue when you leave it to the judges.

Again, I used to love boxing but it hasn't delivered in a long time. I like UFC but it's not perfect. To me it's a lot more interesting these days.
Floyd has gone on record saying he will not split 50/50 with Manny. Add that to the list of reasons why the fight won't happen.

Floyd in an 11 round stoppage (cuts).
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
aiiight dudes, what are some links we can use to watch the fight?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
aiiight dudes, what are some links we can use to watch the fight?

http://www.fandango.com/ringkingslive:mayweathervs.cotto_153688/movieoverview
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I personally think it's more Mayweather since he called Manny out for blood doping and seems to have more excuses, but I agree that both are "milking" their fight together because both fighters are making tons of money without fighting each other. The problem is that if one of these guys loses then it makes the fight a lot less interesting.

It's another reason why boxing is doomed. Since you have three different associations and there isn't a formal structure to force these fighters to fight....why should care about boxing if they won't have the fight that everyone wants to see. And there should be a rematch in the contract that they would have two fights minimum. So that's a huge problem.

I also have a problem with the Judges in boxing, but that can always be an issue when you leave it to the judges.

Again, I used to love boxing but it hasn't delivered in a long time. I like UFC but it's not perfect. To me it's a lot more interesting these days.

Should have guessed you were a UFC fan. Funny how the UFC fans come out to rag on boxing right before a big boxing bout.

I'm not gonna get into this anymore in this thread. No point. But based on PPV buys and the amount the fighters are making, boxing is far from dead.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fropwns:
Boxing is dead.

I took this from the thread you closed. lemme guess, you're a UFC fan.

Either way, Floyd is guaranteed 32M for this fight. Again, 32 MILLION for 36 minutes and thats not counting what he will get for PPV buys. For a sport that's dead, they sure are paying Floyd a shvtload of money.

Actually I don't even see him in the UFC thread at all.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Oh hai. A boxing match. Cuuuute!

Boxing has been dead for a long time now. Pac-man is the only one keeping it alive and now since Mayweather and him won't fight.......WHO FRIGGIN CARES ABOUT IT.

I was a huge boxing fan........Muhammad Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Norton

Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran

Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield

What is left? What was the last big boxing event that you were really excited about and fulfilled the expectations? It's been a VERY long time.

Should have guessed you were a UFC fan. Funny how the UFC fans come out to rag on boxing right before a big boxing bout.

I'm not gonna get into this anymore in this thread. No point. But based on PPV buys and the amount the fighters are making, boxing is far from dead.

with all due respect, your living in a igloo lol for lack of a better term, boxing is dying a very slow death. Im not sure of your age, and frankly dont need to know but boxing is not pulling in the the young demographic, therfore once the "veteran" boxing fans eventually leaves the earth as we all do. The next generation is not a fan of boxing. Boxing doesnt give the fans what they want to see, and needs to change fast or else there doomed. if mosley beats canelo tonight, hes actually hurting the sport more because canelo is i guess supposed to save boxing some how or maybe Amir Khan ? lol

The young generation is in love with ufc because they give you every thing that boxing doesnt. Exciting fights, no bs promoters holding the best fights back and heres the key one ... Star power. Yea boxing has the biggest stars as of right now in mayweather and manny but they are really close to being gone, and the UFC has stars lined up. Jon jones, Anderson, Silva, GSP, Jose Aldo. and thats just a few. UFC is now on fox so that everyone can watch, UFC has set up the ultimate fighter here in the USA for years and is filming Ultimate fighter Brazil to constantly bring in new young talent, and the fans get to know them. What is boxing doing to stay above water ? ... oh yea i remember not giving the world what they want to see, and yea i understand thats mostly on the fighters but that doesnt happen in the ufc.

Plus Other than this card, i really cant remember the last time i was looking forward to the under card of a boxing ppv. So at least they are trying to change, and ill be watching, but for years id order a boxing ppv and watch the lakers or another sport on regular cable until the main event, never done that with the ufc. im a fan of both but any one that says that boxing isnt dying is living in there own world.

Amir, your are only half right, and you know I am a huge boxing fan.

1. The reason they still draw huge PPV draws is because of the lack of quality fights. If you don't order this one or the other 5 quality fighters fights, what will you watch? The numbers are based on guys like us who still love the sport and lack the amount of quality fights to watch. Back in the day it wasn't a big deal if you didn't order a PPV because HBO after dark always came through with a good free fight. Not anymore.

2. Boxing is relying on old school fighters to make the money. There are no big new names coming up outside the Mexican ginger and he will probably end up just a decent fighter, not a star.

3. Heavy weight division is dead, you cannot dispute that.

Boxing needs to get back into the free fight business to stay relevant. Oscar De La Hoya has even said this publicly. They need to force fights, not give an option. If they try to attract the younger generation they can stay relevant. If not, they will be hurting in 5 years. But never dead, the sport is too pretty. (manny, Floyd, king, Amir, all gone then. And the klitchko brothers will be drawing social security)
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Boxing needs to get back into the free fight business to stay relevant. Oscar De La Hoya has even said this publicly. They need to force fights, not give an option. If they try to attract the younger generation they can stay relevant. If not, they will be hurting in 5 years. (manny, Floyd, king, Amir, all gone then. And the klitchko brothers will be drawing social security)

Rubberneck36, i Couldnt agree with you more, and De La Hoya would be the perfect man to resurrect boxing but with different promotions his hands are tied and not sure anyone can do anything because the promotions only care about making money right now (ass hole Bob arum) . Maybe when mayweather and manny leave they will realize they need to change, but by then it might be a little to late.
I JUST SHOWED YOU GUYS GIFS OF THE TRUE NEXT BIG THING / CHAMP SERGIO MARTINEZ ,meng.

He called out both Pac and PBF and continues to do so.
Share 49ersWebzone