LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Giants are paying pence and Timmy like top 25 players...
They're both far from it
Pence padded his stats when games didn't count
And Timmy has sucked the last two years

Giants fans love bringing up the dodgers payroll
But at least the dodgers are paying great players
Giants are paying big bucks for mediocre/average players
Pence > Ethier or Crawford

I'm fine with the pence deal.

Haha no way
Both Crawford and Ethier have a better average and are gold glove winners
Pences 27 hrs this year where his most and how many of those where on garbage time
Ethiers hr high is 31
A healthy Ethier and Crawford >>> Pence
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Compared to what the Dodgers are about to overpay for Kershaw? This is chump change.

Plus -- it's only two years. If Timmay flames out -- at least he won't be hanging around for seven years like Zito.

I'd say this was a rather brilliant move. It keeps the pressure on Tim to produce. He can't get all fat n' happy with a long-term deal.

What are you guys complaining about?

Well... Kershaw is the best SP in the majors and is in the very beginning of his prime, and Lincecum has left his prime and has had an ERA well over 4 for the past two seasons. Bad comparison.

Not really. To say that Lincecum has left his prime is a reach. Kid isn't even 30 yet. He's had two sub-par seasons. He hasn't been Timmy like.

Kershaw is two to three years behind Timmy. Who is to say he isn't going to fall off the milk truck as well? You can't predict health. Who is to say he doesn't have the same problems as Timmy is having two years down the road?

Thing is -- the Dodgers are going to throw a boatload of money at Kershaw. I mean a BOATLOAD. It will make the Timmy deal look like peanuts.

I think it's a pretty fair comparison. You are summarily dismissed.

I agree with Oregon. Horrible comparison.

You are summarily dismissed.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Haha no way
Pences 27 hrs this year where his most and how many of those where on garbage time
Ethiers hr high is 31
Do you really need me to mention Ethier and Crawford don't hit lefties? Pence does. Or that Pence this year joined the 20/20 club. Something Crawford and Ethier have never done. Or that Pence has gone six consecutive years since his rookie season hitting 20 HR's or more. Once again something Crawford and Ethier haven't done.
Clearly it's too soon to definitively say whether Timmy was overpaid or not. Risky? Absolutely, in that he hasn't performed at the level he's being paid (or even close) for the last few years. However, if Lincecum can make the transition that many throwers have made over the years (into an actual pitcher), he could at least play up to/around the level/value of his contract. He started showing signs of making that transition this past year, though it was shaky. Clearly the Giants are betting he can do it...and of course the risk is mitigated by the short-term nature of the deal.

Obviously, the only way this doesn't work is if he pitches horribly, which IMO isn't nearly as likely as him just pitching ok. In the event of the latter, he's at worst a tradable asset and that alone has value (how much is TBD).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM ]
Haha no way
Ethiers hr high is 31
Do you really need me to mention Ethier and Crawford don't hit lefties? Pence does. Or that Pence this year joined the 20/20 club. Something Crawford and Ethier have never done. Or that Pence has gone six consecutive years since his rookie season hitting 20 HR's or more. Once again something Crawford and Ethier haven't done.

If you're implying that two players are better/more valuable than one, then that statement is absurd. But I do agree that Pence is better than BOTH Crawford OR Ethier, but not both of them combined.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
If you're implying that two players are better/more valuable than one, then that statement is absurd. But I do agree that Pence is better than BOTH Crawford OR Ethier, but not both of them combined.

of course not lol
Originally posted by pdizo916:

of course not lol

Though quantitatively speaking, the combined WAR of Crawford (2.9) and Ethier (2.9) isn't THAT far off of Pence's individual WAR of 5.4. So even though you are right in that Crawford and Ethier combined are essentially more valuable than Pence alone, it's not by much.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Clearly it's too soon to definitively say whether Timmy was overpaid or not. Risky? Absolutely, in that he hasn't performed at the level he's being paid (or even close) for the last few years. However, if Lincecum can make the transition that many throwers have made over the years (into an actual pitcher), he could at least play up to/around the level/value of his contract. He started showing signs of making that transition this past year, though it was shaky. Clearly the Giants are betting he can do it...and of course the risk is mitigated by the short-term nature of the deal.

Obviously, the only way this doesn't work is if he pitches horribly, which IMO isn't nearly as likely as him just pitching ok. In the event of the latter, he's at worst a tradable asset and that alone has value (how much is TBD).

He is overpaid based on his recent track record. Of course no one can predict the future but there is no doubt that he got more money than he should have. As for the trade chip, the Giants also gave him a no trade clause.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM ]
So does this mean they're done spending the big dollars, or does it signal a willingness to crack open the bank vault a little and spend on a quality left-fielder?
Right now we stand at around 108 mil in committed salaries for 2014.

Payroll was 136 mil this past season.

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
So does this mean they're done spending the big dollars, or does it signal a willingness to crack open the bank vault a little and spend on a quality left-fielder?

If the signing of Pence and Timmy is all they do and they dont go after a bat for LF then I think it would be a huge failure. I think they do have the money though and will pursue a power bat either vis free agency or trade. The Dodgers spending has certainly changed things and they have to increase the payroll some to really be competitive.

I doubt you will see any huge splash such as going for Choo but instead might see a 1 year or 2 year deal for someone like Morse. Or, as Ghost has mentioned perhaps a trade for Josh Willingham. Not awesome but better than what we have now in left.
Arbitration eligible are Belt, Mijares, Blanco, Arias and Petit. So I guess add another 8 mil to sign them.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Right now we stand at around 108 mil in committed salaries for 2014.

Payroll was 136 mil this past season.

I put it at 112 million if they exercise the option on Vogelsong. That doesnt count Belt or Crawford who will get nice bumps and could be locked up on long term deals. The Giants will still need to add a LF, a SP, and at least 3 arms in the pen as well.

This is a pretty good breakdown............
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/nl-west/san-francisco-giants/
Vogey's option is 6.5 mil, so that would bump payroll to 114 mil. I would hope they decline that option and just pay Gaudin to be our fifth starter instead who looked better than Vogey.

Brandon Crawford likely won't get a pay raise until next winter.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
KNBR had a discussion on Timmy's contract. the main points were durability (his 200 innings a year) and the marketing value the Giants get from trotting out a two-time Cy Young award winner.

oh and that he's a Padre killer
Share 49ersWebzone