There are 256 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Garcia:
REALITY CHECK.

Lincecum sucked in 2012.
But in the playoffs was money.

After June this past year... he was significantly better than the previous 1.5 years.

It's obvious that his main issues were mental and adjusting to not being a power pitcher. He has made that adjustment.
Not only that, he makes every start and stays off the DL.

He will be a very very good #3 and if we make the playoffs we all know he is a big game pitcher with the stuff to dominate in October.

He may be a smidgen over paid but thats the nature of baseball and veteran players with a resume like Lincecum.
Im glad he's back.

No doubt he would have been way more overpaid to go to the Angels, Dodgers, or Yankees.

He was actually worse after the all star break
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/28705/tim-lincecum
Giants are paying pence and Timmy like top 25 players...
They're both far from it
Pence padded his stats when games didn't count
And Timmy has sucked the last two years

Giants fans love bringing up the dodgers payroll
But at least the dodgers are paying great players
Giants are paying big bucks for mediocre/average players
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by solidg2000:
They're both far from it

Pence > Ethier or Crawford

I'm fine with the pence deal.
id rather pay him this than see someone like Kickham in the rotation

BS.... Giants overpaid two guys that actually contributed to their playoff runs and team chemistry, Pence with his fiery speeches, and Timmy with his clutch playoffs performances.

Big difference is the Dodgers trying to achieve the same success by buying talent and figuring chemistry would come later. Worked perfectly in 2013 for you guys didn't it?
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
I really really want the giants to throw a one year deal at Josh Johnson

Why...

Josh Johnson lives on the DL. Do not want.
Im not thrilled about Lincecum getting 17.5 mil per year, but id rather pay him more in the short term than less in the long term.
They're both far from it

Yeah cause all those big name/ money players came through for the dodgers! Matt kemp was on fire in playoffs
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Compared to what the Dodgers are about to overpay for Kershaw? This is chump change.

Plus -- it's only two years. If Timmay flames out -- at least he won't be hanging around for seven years like Zito.

I'd say this was a rather brilliant move. It keeps the pressure on Tim to produce. He can't get all fat n' happy with a long-term deal.

What are you guys complaining about?

Well... Kershaw is the best SP in the majors and is in the very beginning of his prime, and Lincecum has left his prime and has had an ERA well over 4 for the past two seasons. Bad comparison.

Not really. To say that Lincecum has left his prime is a reach. Kid isn't even 30 yet. He's had two sub-par seasons. He hasn't been Timmy like.

Kershaw is two to three years behind Timmy. Who is to say he isn't going to fall off the milk truck as well? You can't predict health. Who is to say he doesn't have the same problems as Timmy is having two years down the road?

Thing is -- the Dodgers are going to throw a boatload of money at Kershaw. I mean a BOATLOAD. It will make the Timmy deal look like peanuts.

I think it's a pretty fair comparison. You are summarily dismissed.

I agree with Oregon. Horrible comparison.

Kershaw didn't exactly dominate in the playoffs, and Timmy was a major contributor for 2 rings. Obviously Kershaw is the better regular season guy right now, but winning rings and clutch performances do count for something...
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by crzy:
Wow absolutely insane contract.

Billbird thinks its brilliant though. The funny thing is............. can you imagine how mad we would all be if the Giants gave up 35 million to a pitcher from another team with the stats he has put up?

It is Sabeans track record though. Overpay every single Giant who helped win a title.. Timmy, Pence, Huff, Scutaro, Affeldt, Pagan. Loyalty is a good thing but sometimes you just have to cut ties if the money is too much. When your minor league system is horrible though that is what happens. You overpay.

I just pray that Timmy is closer to the guy from 3-4 years ago and not from the last 2.

Ugh. At least it's only 2 years. It's impossible for Timmy to live up to this contract.

The most frustrating thing is how Sabean and the Giants always bid against themselves instead of allowing the market to dictate how much LIncecum is worth. It's stupid.

I understand that the Giants had holes in their rotation, but they still should have let Lincecum hit free agency.

Billbird thinks its brilliant though. The funny thing is............. can you imagine how mad we would all be if the Giants gave up 35 million to a pitcher from another team with the stats he has put up?

It is Sabeans track record though. Overpay every single Giant who helped win a title.. Timmy, Pence, Huff, Scutaro, Affeldt, Pagan. Loyalty is a good thing but sometimes you just have to cut ties if the money is too much. When your minor league system is horrible though that is what happens. You overpay.

I just pray that Timmy is closer to the guy from 3-4 years ago and not from the last 2.

Ugh. At least it's only 2 years. It's impossible for Timmy to live up to this contract.

The most frustrating thing is how Sabean and the Giants always bid against themselves instead of allowing the market to dictate how much LIncecum is worth. It's stupid.

I understand that the Giants had holes in their rotation, but they still should have let Lincecum hit free agency.

Its obviously way too much money. As people have said, thankfully its just for 2 years.

Its obviously way too much money. As people have said, thankfully its just for 2 years.

fact is, money for starting pitchers are going to go way up again. i can see Bronson Arroyo making way more than this.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

fact is, money for starting pitchers are going to go way up again. i can see Bronson Arroyo making way more than this.

Would rather have Timmy than pillow toss Arroyo anyw
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

Well Arrroyo has certainly been better than Timmy over the past 2 years and has pitched in probably the toughest park for a pitcher in the league. However, I doubt at age 37 he will be getting more than this deal No team is going to give him 3 years.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Oct 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM ]
That was too much money for Timmy. No way can I defend that contract.

The offseason hasn't even begun yet and this shaping up to be another slow winter. Where we basically stand pat and hope for internal improvements.
Share 49ersWebzone