LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

its only a two year deal so i aint trippen
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Compared to what the Dodgers are about to overpay for Kershaw? This is chump change.

Plus -- it's only two years. If Timmay flames out -- at least he won't be hanging around for seven years like Zito.

I'd say this was a rather brilliant move. It keeps the pressure on Tim to produce. He can't get all fat n' happy with a long-term deal.

What are you guys complaining about?

Brilliant? LOL Its fine but to say giving a pitcher who has been awful to mediocre the past 2 years brilliant is funny. And.. comparing Timmy to a guy who is by far the best pitcher in baseball is also humorous. Kershaw could go out right now on the open market and get 300 million. You dont think the Yankees would pay that? Timmy would be lucky to get anything more than what the Giants are paying him.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Compared to what the Dodgers are about to overpay for Kershaw? This is chump change.

Plus -- it's only two years. If Timmay flames out -- at least he won't be hanging around for seven years like Zito.

I'd say this was a rather brilliant move. It keeps the pressure on Tim to produce. He can't get all fat n' happy with a long-term deal.

What are you guys complaining about?

Well... Kershaw is the best SP in the majors and is in the very beginning of his prime, and Lincecum has left his prime and has had an ERA well over 4 for the past two seasons. Bad comparison.

Not really. To say that Lincecum has left his prime is a reach. Kid isn't even 30 yet. He's had two sub-par seasons. He hasn't been Timmy like.

Kershaw is two to three years behind Timmy. Who is to say he isn't going to fall off the milk truck as well? You can't predict health. Who is to say he doesn't have the same problems as Timmy is having two years down the road?

Thing is -- the Dodgers are going to throw a boatload of money at Kershaw. I mean a BOATLOAD. It will make the Timmy deal look like peanuts.

I think it's a pretty fair comparison. You are summarily dismissed.

I agree with Oregon. Horrible comparison.
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
I really really want the giants to throw a one year deal at Josh Johnson

Ugh. I guarantee he wont pitch a year without getting hurt. I wouldnt go there myself.
So basically this a $17.5 million a year "stop-gap" contract
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Wow absolutely insane contract.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
damn 18 mill a year is a lot

yeah, thats like 3/4's of the A's roster right, or at least half

lol
Originally posted by crzy:
Wow absolutely insane contract.

Billbird thinks its brilliant though. The funny thing is............. can you imagine how mad we would all be if the Giants gave up 35 million to a pitcher from another team with the stats he has put up?

It is Sabeans track record though. Overpay every single Giant who helped win a title.. Timmy, Pence, Huff, Scutaro, Affeldt, Pagan. Loyalty is a good thing but sometimes you just have to cut ties if the money is too much. When your minor league system is horrible though that is what happens. You overpay.

I just pray that Timmy is closer to the guy from 3-4 years ago and not from the last 2.
Bottom line is the giants needed a SP. He would have had to pay close to that for a guy with half his capability anyways. If TIMMY is the pitcher he was becoming the second half of the season, its worth the extra 2-3 mil a year overpaid. If not, well that sucks.
  • Dino
  • Veteran

Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for sfgiantdave.
I'm fine with the Timmy deal just because it's only two years and it will take about two seasons more before our top pitching prospects will be MLB ready.

However, the Hunter Pence deal scares me. At 5/90, I just hope he doesn't become another Aaron Rowand 2-3 years down the line.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM ]
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
I'm fine with the Timmy deal just because it's only two years and it will take about two seasons more before our top pitching prospects will be MLB ready.

However, the Hunter Pence deal scares me. At 5/90, I just hope he doesn't become another Aaron Rowand 2-3 years down the line.

I am on the side that believes Pence got way overpaid, but I still don't like the Aaron Rowand comparison. Similar players, but Pence has proven that he's able to hit in AT&T while putting up the same numbers he did in hitter-friendly parks, and Rowand never did.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
REALITY CHECK.

Lincecum sucked in 2012.
But in the playoffs was money.

After June this past year... he was significantly better than the previous 1.5 years.

It's obvious that his main issues were mental and adjusting to not being a power pitcher. He has made that adjustment.
Not only that, he makes every start and stays off the DL.

He will be a very very good #3 and if we make the playoffs we all know he is a big game pitcher with the stuff to dominate in October.

He may be a smidgen over paid but thats the nature of baseball and veteran players with a resume like Lincecum.
Im glad he's back.

No doubt he would have been way more overpaid to go to the Angels, Dodgers, or Yankees.
2 yrs aint a big deal. It's not any great hitter is coming to SF. It's a stop gap until our younger pitchers come up. I don't like it but it's not as bad as his proposed 5/100 deal he turned down.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
17.5 mil is a lot of coin. I just hope this doesn't mean they won't be able to afford a solid LF.
Share 49ersWebzone