LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
No word would be able to describe how much I'd hate the Dodgers if that happened.

No more than now because I know you hate them as much as possible. They would be pretty much unbeatable though.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
No word would be able to describe how much I'd hate the Dodgers if that happened.

No more than now because I know you hate them as much as possible. They would be pretty much unbeatable though.

Their payroll could easily exceed $300 million if they happen to make that trade, which would be twice more than every team outside of the Yankees. They're probably gonna throw over 30 a year at Kershaw.
They'd have to give up some kind of combination of Pederson/Seager/Lee. I could see it happening though.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
They'd have to give up some kind of combination of Pederson/Seager/Lee. I could see it happening though.

Yep. They could then deal Ethier and save money there as well (although they would have to eat some of the money). They would also probably not sign Nolasco or Capuano and have a cheaper 5th starter. Could easily happen.

Their payroll could easily exceed $300 million if they happen to make that trade, which would be twice more than every team outside of the Yankees. They're probably gonna throw over 30 a year at Kershaw.

Just so we are understanding what going on...I listened to ESPN today about the dodgers and their TV deal. They are making more Money than the Yankees. Close person said they will not go crazy, but if they want a player, money is not an option. Between TV, parking, etc. they are killing it. Fuuuuuu
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Just so we are understanding what going on...I listened to ESPN today about the dodgers and their TV deal. They are making more Money than the Yankees. Close person said they will not go crazy, but if they want a player, money is not an option. Between TV, parking, etc. they are killing it. Fuuuuuu

Sigh... I hope that article about the Giants' brass expanding the payroll is legitimate. Baseball could be very frustrating over the next few years

Sigh... I hope that article about the Giants' brass expanding the payroll is legitimate. Baseball could be very frustrating over the next few years

I think we should all be happy that the Giants won 2 WS because its going to be very tough going forward. The TV deal the Dodgers have with Time Warner is obscene.

I think we should all be happy that the Giants won 2 WS because its going to be very tough going forward. The TV deal the Dodgers have with Time Warner is obscene.

can we get a TV deal?
not that you guys care but here's a map of the likes the giants got on FB. The more orange the area is, the more people liked them in that area....

SF isn't that orange....

what article? Do you have a link?

It just shows the importance of a good farm system. With it and a increased payroll OR fiscal responsible spending, the Giants could've been front runners for Price or any player for that matter....

From MLBTR - I dont care where the f**k Price goes as long as it isnt to the Dodgers.

"On yesterday's Baseball Tonight Podcast, ESPN's Buster Olney told colleague Tim Kurkjian that the Dodgers are expected to be the most aggressive team in pursuing a trade for David Price this offseason. A Price acquisition would give the Dodgers an unthinkably dominant front four of Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Price and Hyun-jin Ryu"

The mlb is fcking gay
Only sport where one team spends 250 mill and another spends 30

Salary cap is one reason I love the NFL more than the mlb
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Oct 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:

what article? Do you have a link?

It just shows the importance of a good farm system. With it and a increased payroll OR fiscal responsible spending, the Giants could've been front runners for Price or any player for that matter....

Welp, wrong again... There wasn't an article, but back on page 3243 Boast said there was a rumor started on KNBR that the investor group is expanding the cash flow for team payroll.

Hopefully we'll have enough to sign Tanaka
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
From MLBTR - I dont care where the f**k Price goes as long as it isnt to the Dodgers.

"On yesterday's Baseball Tonight Podcast, ESPN's Buster Olney told colleague Tim Kurkjian that the Dodgers are expected to be the most aggressive team in pursuing a trade for David Price this offseason. A Price acquisition would give the Dodgers an unthinkably dominant front four of Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Price and Hyun-jin Ryu"

The mlb is fcking gay
Only sport where one team spends 250 mill and another spends 30

Salary cap is one reason I love the NFL more than the mlb

The salary cap is an overrated idea. Its frustrating when MLB teams like the Yankees and Dodgers are able to spend 150+ mil more than anyone else, but the basic business concepts of the lack of a cap can make it a good thing.

If you think about it, a salary cap is kind of a communist idea. Forcing all teams into the same equal limits, regardless of how they are managing their assets. Not having a cap is an incentive to drive business and come out ahead of your competitors. The teams that make more money get to spend more, just like in life. It also creates the freedom for players to earn whatever the highest bidder thinks their worth, not a basic sum determined by cap limits.

Also, having a ton of money doesnt guarantee anything. The Mets always spend a ton, yet it never translates. You have to be making good choices with your money. The Angels keep spending truckloads of money on players like Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton, yet cant seem to find that winning formula.

Obviously there are cons, like the Dodgers, and teams who choose to pocket most of their profits and let the team on the field starve. Ideally every team being "equal" sounds good, but sports is still a business, and the teams who do things right should have the opportunity to reap the benefits.

If MLB is going to change something, id much prefer them install a salary floor than a cap. There are far more franchises spending too little than too much. That would help combat the Dodgers' advantage as well.
Forget money, do they even have the prospects to land Price? I doubt it.
we can't do trades as great anymore because teams figure that the Giants know what their doing. It would have to be reverse psychiatry or some type of smokescreen strategy nowadays;

Pre championship Giants ask for C,D,E player for cheap and give the opposing team a supposed B player. OK'D

Post championship Giants ask to trade Giants Supposed B pitcher for a number of C players, WHY MY C PLAYERS BRIAN? LEMME THINK ABOUT IT . NO THNX. I'LL KEEP EM.
Share 49ersWebzone