There are 256 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
With that rumor that the Giants might be a suitor for David Price, what about a deal based around Brandon Belt and Kyle Crick? If the Giants do sign Abreu, I'd rather not try to play Belt in LF... that worries me a little bit.

But would the Giants/Rays do that deal?

yikes. i wouldn't do it. Price is expensive and he'd be a free agent after a couple years. Belt is finally in a groove and a top notch defender. He's also very athletic and could be a pretty decent left fielder.

Love David Price, but there's no way I give up Belt AND Crick for him for all the reasons John has articulated. .

We dont need David Price. Crick could be Price in 2-3 years. No chance I would deal Belt or Crick right now, let alone both.

A pitcher in Single-A is no guarantee... I'd agree with not wanting to trade both, but I don't know how you don't pull the trigger on Crick for Price. He's got 2 more years of arbitration eligibility and is in the middle of his prime. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think it would be foolish not to take that trade.

And why do you say we don't need David Price? This team was built around having three aces in the rotation, and now that The Freak version of Lincecum isn't coming back, we're down to two. The rotation is full of question marks right now... it went from being a top-5 group in baseball to the 7th-worst last year. I know Cain had an off year, but even with a strong Cain, it would've still been in the bottom 15-20 in baseball.

And without trades, this rotation will suck next year too cause there aren't too many good free agents out there that would drastically improve our situation. Garza and Tanaka come to mind, but both will be extremely expensive and get overpaid. Sabean is gonna have to get creative this offseason in order to fix the rotation.

Well at least you saw the light about not dealing both Belt and Crick for Price. That would have been a bad bad trade.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Well at least you saw the light about not dealing both Belt and Crick for Price. That would have been a bad bad trade.

There wasn't any thought behind that idea. Just throwing something out there to spark a discussion.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
we sign Abreu yet?
There wasn't any thought behind that idea. Just throwing something out there to spark a discussion.

ya worst part of the thread...offseason pretend trade scenarios.
Originally posted by boast:
we sign Abreu yet?

7 years/$200 million
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

Makes sense. Abreu fits their need a lot more. POWER.

Makes sense. Abreu fits their need a lot more. POWER.

Already have a SS and hopefully Panik will get up after Scooter's contract is done.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
With that rumor that the Giants might be a suitor for David Price, what about a deal based around Brandon Belt and Kyle Crick? If the Giants do sign Abreu, I'd rather not try to play Belt in LF... that worries me a little bit.

But would the Giants/Rays do that deal?

yikes. i wouldn't do it. Price is expensive and he'd be a free agent after a couple years. Belt is finally in a groove and a top notch defender. He's also very athletic and could be a pretty decent left fielder.

Love David Price, but there's no way I give up Belt AND Crick for him for all the reasons John has articulated. .

We dont need David Price. Crick could be Price in 2-3 years. No chance I would deal Belt or Crick right now, let alone both.

A pitcher in Single-A is no guarantee... I'd agree with not wanting to trade both, but I don't know how you don't pull the trigger on Crick for Price. He's got 2 more years of arbitration eligibility and is in the middle of his prime. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think it would be foolish not to take that trade.

And why do you say we don't need David Price? This team was built around having three aces in the rotation, and now that The Freak version of Lincecum isn't coming back, we're down to two. The rotation is full of question marks right now... it went from being a top-5 group in baseball to the 7th-worst last year. I know Cain had an off year, but even with a strong Cain, it would've still been in the bottom 15-20 in baseball.

And without trades, this rotation will suck next year too cause there aren't too many good free agents out there that would drastically improve our situation. Garza and Tanaka come to mind, but both will be extremely expensive and get overpaid. Sabean is gonna have to get creative this offseason in order to fix the rotation.

You suggested dealing Belt and Crick.

If you look back at the posts, you'd see that I suggested that specific trade to spark a debate, not that I wanted to make the deal. My opinion, however, is that I would trade Crick for Price, and if we happened to sign Abreu, I'd trade Belt for Price as well.

If you look back at the posts, you'd see that I suggested that specific trade to spark a debate, not that I wanted to make the deal. My opinion, however, is that I would trade Crick for Price, and if we happened to sign Abreu, I'd trade Belt for Price as well.

Well dont suggest a trade to provoke conversation and then get defensive about it not being your real opinion.

I would trade Crick for Price straight up, and I think anyone would. I would not trade Belt for him. I think, and ive said this for years now, Brandon Belt is a star in the making. Hes got a great eye, hes got pop, he runs fairly well, he can play 1B at a GG level, and hes got a level head. A player with Belt's potential should not be traded away. We have plenty of good young SP on the way, and bridging the gap isnt worth losing a player like Belt.

Well dont suggest a trade to provoke conversation and then get defensive about it not being your real opinion.

I would trade Crick for Price straight up, and I think anyone would. I would not trade Belt for him. I think, and ive said this for years now, Brandon Belt is a star in the making. Hes got a great eye, hes got pop, he runs fairly well, he can play 1B at a GG level, and hes got a level head. A player with Belt's potential should not be traded away. We have plenty of good young SP on the way, and bridging the gap isnt worth losing a player like Belt.

I never once said in my original post that's what I wanted to do. I was trying to think of a deal that both teams would be willing to make. And I'm not getting defensive, I just don't like it when people put words in my mouth.

And a few people earlier like John said they wouldn't do Crick for Price... I would, but I think people are on both sides of the fence on this one.

I never once said in my original post that's what I wanted to do. I was trying to think of a deal that both teams would be willing to make. And I'm not getting defensive, I just don't like it when people put words in my mouth.

And a few people earlier like John said they wouldn't do Crick for Price... I would, but I think people are on both sides of the fence on this one.

Please tell me when I said I wouldn't trade Crick straight up for Price. I said I would never trade Belt AND Crick for Price. I dont think there was one person that said they wouldnt trade Crick for Price straight up. Quick making things up.
Please tell me when I said I wouldn't trade Crick straight up for Price. I said I would never trade Belt AND Crick for Price. I dont think there was one person that said they wouldnt trade Crick for Price straight up. Quick making things up.

You're right, my bad. I thought it was you, but it was Niners99 who said it in his first post. Guess he changed his mind.

Share 49ersWebzone