Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

• Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Timmah talking extension?

post a link or you are FOS
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/09/giants-tim-lincecum-talking-extension.html
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Im not thrilled with the Pence contract, but im not upset either. It was to be expected, and we NEEDED him to return.

Pence, despite how streaky he is, was a big part of our lineup. The Giants have always struggled to find and keep productive, middle of the order bats in the lineup. Pence is a lock to hit 4-5 every single day and drive in 90-100 runs with 25 HR. For a team playing at AT&T, thats a big deal. Without him, not only are we down to probably the worst starting OF in baseball, but were down a leader, a great defensive player, and a bat that gets respect from opposing pitchers.

He doesnt look very good doing it, but when you look up at the end of the year, he gets his numbers. He protects Posey in the lineup as well. We all saw what happened when the Giants had an MVP caliber hitter with no protection, and Posey isnt going to be able to do what Bonds did with the few good pitches he would see. Were now locked into having legit 3-4 hitters for the next 5 years, which is big.

The market keeps on setting itself. Aaron Rowand got 60 mil back in 2008 because he was the only guy out there, and we were desperate. Pence is a far better and more proven player, so I dont understand the fear and comparison to this situation.

I think the Nationals spending 126 mil on Jayson Werth over 7 years was FAR worse. Overall I think Pence is a better player, and we got him at the same rate for 2 less years. Ideally 5/75 wouldve been great, but its not realistic. Aside from the rare Madison Bumgarner type deals, you just arent going to get any bargains on impact players.

I still think we have the cash to go out and roll the dice on Jose Abreu for 60-70 mil, and then our lineup is set up to be one of the best in the NL. The Giants have known all along that they were bringing Pence back, yet have still been heavily scouting Abreu, so I think they plan on spending the money.

CF- Pagan
2B- Scutaro
C- Posey
RF- Pence
3B- Sandoval
1B- Abreu
LF- Belt
SS- Crawford

Thats a pretty darn good lineup, especially if Abreu is legit. Belt just keeps getting better, and Abreu sounds like he has the potential to move up into the 4 or 5 spot.

Yes, yes the lineup looks good. But you're forgetting about something... Cain and Bummy are the only two starters under contract (not sure what Vogey's option is, team I think?) and there aren't a lot of good FA options out there outside of Tanaka.

Having a good rotation top to bottom has been our key to success the past few years and I do not want to see this team deviate from that. We need to find a way to solidify our rotation, or else we aren't going anywhere next year.

I wasnt forgetting about anything. We were talking hitters. I said before that Lincecum will be back, simply because we dont have enough bodies to fill a 5 man rotation if everyone leaves.

BTW John, I would take Arroyo AND Lincecum as a 3-4, but Arroyo as a 3 without Lincecum would be a disaster.
Originally posted by Hopper:
I'm fine with the Pence deal. Power, good arm, speed and durable.

I just hope Sabean gets us a quality LF unlike last winter.

Pence I think really is the LEADER of this team
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Pence I think really is the LEADER of this team

What about Buster supposey?
Yes, yes the lineup looks good. But you're forgetting about something... Cain and Bummy are the only two starters under contract (not sure what Vogey's option is, team I think?) and there aren't a lot of good FA options out there outside of Tanaka.

Having a good rotation top to bottom has been our key to success the past few years and I do not want to see this team deviate from that. We need to find a way to solidify our rotation, or else we aren't going anywhere next year.

Vogelsong's option is 6.5M with a 300k buyout. They'd be better off voiding it and then signing him for half the cost. No one is giving him a guaranteed deal with his velocity issues. I see lots of quality arms in free agency that would love to pitch half their games at AT&T and revitalize their careers on a one year deal.

Petit is also assured himself another look this spring.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Vogelsong's option is 6.5M with a 300k buyout. They'd be better off voiding it and then signing him for half the cost. No one is giving him a guaranteed deal with his velocity issues. I see lots of quality arms in free agency that would love to pitch half their games at AT&T and revitalize their careers on a one year deal.

Signing Vogelsong for half the cost? Doubtful unless he wants to give the Giants some sort of discount.

Bronson Arroyo got 2/$28 over the last two years and the cost of pitching is only going higher. Vogey is a decent deal at 6.5, if they want him it's more likely they exercise his option. I doubt anyone will come here for less than that on a one year contract.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Signing Vogelsong for half the cost? Doubtful unless he wants to give the Giants some sort of discount.

Bronson Arroyo got 2/$28 over the last two years and the cost of pitching is only going higher. Vogey is a decent deal at 6.5, if they want him it's more likely they exercise his option. I doubt anyone will come here for less than that on a one year contract.

Maybe I'm underestimating Vogelsong's abilities. I see a 36 year old pitcher coming off a broken hand and a tired arm. I'm not sure how many teams want that when better options exist internally and externally in free agency.

Haren took a one year deal in Washington last year at 13M. I'd like to see Rich Harden and Johan Santana get workouts and invites this spring. I could also see Phil Hughes getting a one year deal similar to Haren's '12 contract. His home/road splits (6.32 / 3.88) prove he can be an effective pitcher away from New York. John Lannan, Paul Maholm, Jeff Karstens, and Tim Stauffer should get looks as well.

If the options are re-sign Lincecum, exercise Vogelsong's option and retain Blanco in left or sign Santana/Harden/Hughes/Haren/Lannan/Maholm and Carlos Beltran/Mike Morse/Curtis Granderson/Corey Hart, I'd rather see the latter.
[ Edited by redrathman on Sep 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM ]
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Maybe I'm underestimating Vogelsong's abilities. I see a 36 year old pitcher coming off a broken hand and a tired arm. I'm not sure how many teams want that when better options exist internally and externally in free agency.

Haren took a one year deal in Washington last year at 13M. I'd like to see Rich Harden and Johan Santana get workouts and invites this spring. I could also see Phil Hughes getting a one year deal similar to Haren's '12 contract. His home/road splits (6.32 / 3.88) prove he can be an effective pitcher away from New York. John Lannan, Paul Maholm, Jeff Karstens, and Tim Stauffer should get looks as well.

If the options are re-sign Lincecum, exercise Vogelsong's option and retain Blanco in left or sign Santana/Harden/Hughes/Haren/Lannan/Maholm and Carlos Beltran/Mike Morse/Curtis Granderson/Corey Hart, I'd rather see the latter.

No way I want to give any of those guys an eight figure salary and I'm sure Haren, Hughes and Maholm are all going to get multi year offers. I'd rather keep Vogey as a back of the rotation guy and save some money and not re-sign Timmy for a ton of cash.

Beltran will probably not come back here, Morse and Granderson have been awful this year and Hart has been injured. Blanco's clearly not the solution in LF but there's not a whole lot out there to even go after. I think they're going to need to make a trade to get an impact bat in LF or go to the international market which it seems they're not interested in doing.
That was very cool to see Zito on the mound again.
Game winning rbi by Pence to end the season.

I already can't wait until next year!
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
HP with the walk off win. nice way to end the season.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
99 RBIs for HP
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Game winning rbi by Pence to end the season.

I already can't wait until next year!

Really wanna see what sabean does to solve LF and add pitching depth
Originally posted by boast:
HP with the walk off win. nice way to end the season.

Fitting way to end it for Pence ! Go G'S
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com