LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Yeah, totally. We didn't add Hunter Pence or Marco Scutaro or anything for our run in 2012 because we had such great hitters.

Many people, myself included said Sabean blew last year's off season by trying to keep the same team and he's doing the same thing again minus Zito when it CLEARLY didn't work this year.

we were in 1st when the injuries started to come around.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
#17 Shin-Soo Choo
Cincinnati Reds2013 Record: 90-70
BA HR RBI
.287 21 54

#8 Hunter Pence
San Francisco Giants2013 Record: 75-85
BA HR RBI
.282 26 94

Neither deserve over 12 mil a year

You're looking at the wrong stats homeboy.

Choo:
OBP wOBA wRC+
.423 .393 151

Pence:
OBP wOBA wRC+
.339 .344 132

Shin Soo Choo was probably one of the top 10-15 hitters in all of baseball this past year. As I said before, he was easily worth 5/75, and obviously even more. I would have given him this same contract without batting a eye.
[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Sep 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM ]
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
#17 Shin-Soo Choo
Cincinnati Reds2013 Record: 90-70
BA HR RBI
.287 21 54

#8 Hunter Pence
San Francisco Giants2013 Record: 75-85
BA HR RBI
.282 26 94

Neither deserve over 12 mil a year

You're looking at the wrong stats homeboy.

Choo:
OBP wOBA wRC+
.423 .393 151

Pence:
OBP wOBA wRC+
.339 .344 132

Shin Soo Choo was probably one of the top 10-15 hitters in all of baseball this past year. As I said before, he was easily worth 5/75, and obviously even more. I would have given him this same contract without batting a eye.

Choo is getting Werth money.
Obviously overpaid for Pence but the Giants need to resign him.
Who knows. The giants are gonna have to open their wallets. They know that. They made so much shekels from their championship runs. They will be ok financially
Wondering if pence sacrificed some money to get a no trade clause in his deal
Im not thrilled with the Pence contract, but im not upset either. It was to be expected, and we NEEDED him to return.

Pence, despite how streaky he is, was a big part of our lineup. The Giants have always struggled to find and keep productive, middle of the order bats in the lineup. Pence is a lock to hit 4-5 every single day and drive in 90-100 runs with 25 HR. For a team playing at AT&T, thats a big deal. Without him, not only are we down to probably the worst starting OF in baseball, but were down a leader, a great defensive player, and a bat that gets respect from opposing pitchers.

He doesnt look very good doing it, but when you look up at the end of the year, he gets his numbers. He protects Posey in the lineup as well. We all saw what happened when the Giants had an MVP caliber hitter with no protection, and Posey isnt going to be able to do what Bonds did with the few good pitches he would see. Were now locked into having legit 3-4 hitters for the next 5 years, which is big.

The market keeps on setting itself. Aaron Rowand got 60 mil back in 2008 because he was the only guy out there, and we were desperate. Pence is a far better and more proven player, so I dont understand the fear and comparison to this situation.

I think the Nationals spending 126 mil on Jayson Werth over 7 years was FAR worse. Overall I think Pence is a better player, and we got him at the same rate for 2 less years. Ideally 5/75 wouldve been great, but its not realistic. Aside from the rare Madison Bumgarner type deals, you just arent going to get any bargains on impact players.

I still think we have the cash to go out and roll the dice on Jose Abreu for 60-70 mil, and then our lineup is set up to be one of the best in the NL. The Giants have known all along that they were bringing Pence back, yet have still been heavily scouting Abreu, so I think they plan on spending the money.

CF- Pagan
2B- Scutaro
C- Posey
RF- Pence
3B- Sandoval
1B- Abreu
LF- Belt
SS- Crawford

Thats a pretty darn good lineup, especially if Abreu is legit. Belt just keeps getting better, and Abreu sounds like he has the potential to move up into the 4 or 5 spot.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Im not thrilled with the Pence contract, but im not upset either. It was to be expected, and we NEEDED him to return.

Pence, despite how streaky he is, was a big part of our lineup. The Giants have always struggled to find and keep productive, middle of the order bats in the lineup. Pence is a lock to hit 4-5 every single day and drive in 90-100 runs with 25 HR. For a team playing at AT&T, thats a big deal. Without him, not only are we down to probably the worst starting OF in baseball, but were down a leader, a great defensive player, and a bat that gets respect from opposing pitchers.

He doesnt look very good doing it, but when you look up at the end of the year, he gets his numbers. He protects Posey in the lineup as well. We all saw what happened when the Giants had an MVP caliber hitter with no protection, and Posey isnt going to be able to do what Bonds did with the few good pitches he would see. Were now locked into having legit 3-4 hitters for the next 5 years, which is big.

The market keeps on setting itself. Aaron Rowand got 60 mil back in 2008 because he was the only guy out there, and we were desperate. Pence is a far better and more proven player, so I dont understand the fear and comparison to this situation.

I think the Nationals spending 126 mil on Jayson Werth over 7 years was FAR worse. Overall I think Pence is a better player, and we got him at the same rate for 2 less years. Ideally 5/75 wouldve been great, but its not realistic. Aside from the rare Madison Bumgarner type deals, you just arent going to get any bargains on impact players.

I still think we have the cash to go out and roll the dice on Jose Abreu for 60-70 mil, and then our lineup is set up to be one of the best in the NL. The Giants have known all along that they were bringing Pence back, yet have still been heavily scouting Abreu, so I think they plan on spending the money.

CF- Pagan
2B- Scutaro
C- Posey
RF- Pence
3B- Sandoval
1B- Abreu
LF- Belt
SS- Crawford

Thats a pretty darn good lineup, especially if Abreu is legit. Belt just keeps getting better, and Abreu sounds like he has the potential to move up into the 4 or 5 spot.

Supposidly the Giants are not going after Abreu now. Not impressed with his swing or defense and see him as a DH in the AL.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

CF- Pagan
2B- Scutaro
C- Posey
RF- Pence
3B- Sandoval
1B- Abreu
LF- Belt
SS- Crawford

for a second I thought you were talking about Tony Abreu, I was like wtf? lol.

I agree with everything you said.

What are our options if we dont get Abreu?
Originally posted by Garcia:

CF- Pagan
2B- Scutaro
C- Posey
RF- Pence
3B- Sandoval
1B- Abreu
LF- Belt
SS- Crawford

for a second I thought you were talking about Tony Abreu, I was like wtf? lol.

I agree with everything you said.

What are our options if we dont get Abreu?

If they opt not to roll the dice on Abreu like John said, I dont see us making a big splash move this offseason. Theres an outside chance for Tanaka or Guerrero I suppose.

If they opt not to roll the dice on Abreu like John said, I dont see us making a big splash move this offseason. Theres an outside chance for Tanaka or Guerrero I suppose.

I think the chances of Tanaka are virtually none. With the signing of Pence to 90M I dont see the Giants spending the kind of money that it will take to get him. The Yankees and Angels are going to break the bank for this guy

My guess is the Giants will end up with Timmy or Arroyo as the #3, Vogelsong at a reduced salary as the #4, and Petit or Gaudin as the #5.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Sep 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM ]

CF- Pagan
2B- Scutaro
C- Posey
RF- Pence
3B- Sandoval
1B- Abreu
LF- Belt
SS- Crawford

Yes, yes the lineup looks good. But you're forgetting about something... Cain and Bummy are the only two starters under contract (not sure what Vogey's option is, team I think?) and there aren't a lot of good FA options out there outside of Tanaka.

Having a good rotation top to bottom has been our key to success the past few years and I do not want to see this team deviate from that. We need to find a way to solidify our rotation, or else we aren't going anywhere next year.
Timmah talking extension?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Timmah talking extension?

post a link or you are FOS
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/09/giants-tim-lincecum-talking-extension.html
Share 49ersWebzone