LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

• Garce
  • Veteran
We needed Pence. We have no other options. No OF prospects.

Choo would cost the same but Id rather have Pence than Choo.

I'd like to see the Giants maybe swing a deal for a guy like Josh Willingham / Pat Burrell type.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
The Giants better hope that Pence doesnt become Aaron Rowand or repeat his performance of last year. I just dont understand the urgency to get this done right now. Did they actually think another team would offer him 100 million? If there was urgency it would have been at a 4/60 deal - not this.

Pence would hit 35-40 Bombs in yankee stadium

I highly doubt that. NY is a great park for a LH hitter but not so much for a RH batter. And, Pence never hit more than 25 in his career and hit in easier parks in Houston and Philly.
Contract is way huge but for a guy that's a huge part of the team, stays relatively healthy, has power, and is very durable, it could be worth it to have him with us.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Contract is way huge but for a guy that's a huge part of the team, stays relatively healthy, has power, and is very durable, it could be worth it to have him with us.

Steals bags, great in the locker room, plays everyday, works hard, stays in shape (take notes pablo), has a good arm, plays decent defense

Hunter is probably my favorite player on the team. Im glad he is a Gigante.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Henry Schulman ‏@hankschulman6m
More intrigue. Sabean and a whole load of his advisors went to the Dominican Republic today to watch SOMEBODY. #sfgiants.

I'd like to see the Giants maybe swing a deal for a guy like Josh Willingham / Pat Burrell type.

I agree that Sabean and Barr put the Giants in this situation with their inability to draft and develop outfielders. Listen, I like Pence but there is no question they overpaid and unless they raise the budget substantially they will not be able to compete with LA.
Originally posted by Muggins:
Henry Schulman ‏@hankschulman6m
More intrigue. Sabean and a whole load of his advisors went to the Dominican Republic today to watch SOMEBODY. #sfgiants.

So are they going to raise the budget? I doubt whatever international prospect they find is going to agree to a cheap contract after seeing what Puig has done.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
John, what the hell?!

And you thought 5/75 was too much for Shin Soo Choo! Boras said he's aiming for 100M for Choo, and thats just him high-balling.

Jesus Christ I can't believe were going to pay Hunter Pence $18M a year!

I'm actually not surprised at all. Sabean's track record when it comes to free agency is a joke and there was no doubt he was going to overpay for Pence. 90 million. Unreal.

Well... there goes any chance of having an interesting offseason.

We have close to 60 mil coming off the books, but now we're going to be stuck with the same exact roster, while at the same time overpaying for all of our own players. Such f**king b******t.

The Giants better hope that Pence doesnt become Aaron Rowand or repeat his performance of last year. I just dont understand the urgency to get this done right now. Did they actually think another team would offer him 100 million? If there was urgency it would have been at a 4/60 deal - not this.

Yeah that's a good point. I don't think any team would've given him more than this. I'm all for bringing him back and I don't like the Rowand comparison... He put up good numbers in hitter-friendly parks, while Pence has proven that he can hit at AT&T. Let's just hope that he continues to play like he did in 2013 and that we have enough money left over to solidify the rotation. I'm going to be pissed if we head into 2014 with a rotation consisting of Timmy, Petit and Vogey/Aroyo. That team will not compete with the Dodgers. This is why I wanted Bud Norris so badly... there's no one really out there now.

Giants cant compete with LA in my opinion. The Dodgers have a great mix of top talent and complimetary players and they will spend what they need to. I was thinking about this earlier...between the Niners, Warriors, and Giants, the Giants have the least promise for the future.

I think we still can, but the direction we go this offseason will play a huge factor in my opinion heading into next year. However, dumping a third of our freed up money on one player is not a good decision.

Plus, I read a month or so ago an article posted that roughly $20 million will go to player raises alone next season, so really we were looking at around $40 mil in wiggle room. Cut that in half with Pence, and we have around 20-25 to re-sign Javy, find a LF and fill two, possibly three spots in the rotation. Unless the Giants' brass decides to nut up and spend more than their $130 limit, we're gonna head into next season with the same holes we had last year.
I guess bottom line for me.......... I would have let free agency play out with Hunter and see if he could really get a 100M offer. I highly doubt that would have happened. If so, I still think he would have taken 90M from the Giants given how much he loves it here.

Anyway, that leaves 2-3 spots they have to improve. LF and maybe 2 SPS.
f**king terrible, this will come back to bite us in the ass.

So far..
Dont Like it........
NJ
Stalyn
Identity
Oregon
Sin

Like it
Boast
Garcia
Jeff
Hopper
Rubs
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Sep 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM ]
Wow. 18 million/year? I just don't know about that.

Definitely rather have Choo than Pence. 100 times out of 100
Conflicted. Happy we resigned him, but I thought 75 mil was the price. He is still young so the five years doesn't bother me. So going forward, we are set in CF with Pagan, and RF with Pence. If he finds a way to get a decent LF I'll be happy. If they fail to address LF because of the money I will be disappointed.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Conflicted. Happy we resigned him, but I thought 75 mil was the price. He is still young so the five years doesn't bother me. So going forward, we are set in CF with Pagan, and RF with Pence. If he finds a way to get a decent LF I'll be happy. If they fail to address LF because of the money I will be disappointed.

Trade Posey for Cespedes and John Jaso
Share 49ersWebzone