2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Pence with 7 RBI through 5 innings
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Pence with 7 RBI through 5 innings

He has 16 in the last 5 games lol
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Just giving the Dodgers a sneak peek into next year.

I hate to admit it, but they're going to be a power house for the foreseeable future. I just hope the G's can step up their game and their payroll (slightly) and rival the dodger's future success-ala yanks/redsox with the Giants playing the roll of the red sox. (the under dog)
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
I thought Uribe got that
Originally posted by Muggins:
I thought Uribe got that

hanging sliders are his thang......
Originally posted by pdizo916:

I hate to admit it, but they're going to be a power house for the foreseeable future. I just hope the G's can step up their game and their payroll (slightly) and rival the dodger's future success-ala yanks/redsox with the Giants playing the roll of the red sox. (the under dog)

Oh, I agree with you man. Dodgers are set up for some major success. I'm just trying to feel good about our team lol.

Sabean has been a magician in the past, but this is the most challenging test he will have as Giants GM. We can get it done. I like the Red Sox comparison.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
For the love of god, resign Pence already at this pace he will command 18 M / year

Oh, I agree with you man. Dodgers are set up for some major success. I'm just trying to feel good about our team lol.

Sabean has been a magician in the past, but this is the most challenging test he will have as Giants GM. We can get it done. I like the Red Sox comparison.

To be fair, the G's SEVERELY under achieved this year. This team has talent, but needs to be tweaked. Now, we have a s**t load of very young lower level minor league pitchers that we may need to part ways. (to acquire a LF or fill necessary holes) This team is not in bad shape, but they need to do better job in scouting over seas, be fiscal responsible, and drafting. I wonder if mgmt going to increase the payroll esp. since the ballpark is close to being paid off. But I don't think any FA hitter would want to come to SF so we may have to trade for good hitters; (melky, pence) hence, the reason why we need a kick ass minor league system.
Originally posted by Garcia:
For the love of god, resign Pence already at this pace he will command 18 M / year

Could the team resign him right now? I thought they have to wait until the season is over.

At any rate, I think 4/60 may be good enough......but you may be right. 5/90?
Originally posted by Garcia:

Could the team resign him right now? I thought they have to wait until the season is over.

At any rate, I think 4/60 may be good enough......but you may be right. 5/90?

They can extend him right now. I'm sure the Giants will be telling Hunter that they will use the QO on him which could limit the number of teams that will go after him. It makes sense to extend him now and not go to Free Agency.

The absolute MAX I would do on Pence is 4/60 and I think that is a bit high. Not a chance in hell would I give him 90

Giants are up 2 touchdowns.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
They can extend him right now. I'm sure the Giants will be telling Hunter that they will use the QO on him which could limit the number of teams that will go after him. It makes sense to extend him now and not go to Free Agency.

The absolute MAX I would do on Pence is 4/60 and I think that is a bit high. Not a chance in hell would I give him 90

Some team would, doe.....

By using the QO, the G's may be shooting themselves on the foot. Yes, it would limit the teams that may want to sign him, but teams like the Yanks, Sox, Dodgers, etc.... who have extremely high payrolls and very high draft picks, (25-30 range) may decide to give up their first round pick and offer Hunter an extremely huge contract. That's my biggest fear. The team needs to lock him in ASAP or else they may enter a bidding war that they'll surely lose.

But I do agree with you that I wouldn't want to pay him more than 60 over 4 years.

Ownership has to open up their wallets if they want to compete with the dodgers, the dodgers have shown money isn't an option and will do anything to bring top tier talent. Either start scouting better or open up the damn check book, I can't stand hearing and seeing every winter some big name going to LA
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Ownership has to open up their wallets if they want to compete with the dodgers, the dodgers have shown money isn't an option and will do anything to bring top tier talent. Either start scouting better or open up the damn check book, I can't stand hearing and seeing every winter some big name going to LA

I was very critical about the Giants being a cheap team, but the team has opened their wallets over the years. The team was a top 5 team in payroll at the beginning of the year. IIRC DET, PHI, LAD, NYY, BOS had higher payrolls.

Maybe they could trim their payroll by 5-10 million and allocate the money to scouting and drafting? We cannot compete with their wallets but maybe we can do a better job in scouting and drafting.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Sep 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM ]
Pence for Pres
Share 49ersWebzone