LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 359 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
this team has been playing better as of late. This isn't a bad team; more like an underachieving team. I hope this good play will carry over to next year. I know most of you guys would want the team to take, but I rather see my team win...even if it costs us a few slots in the draft. And i am also aware of the ramifications of being a top ten draft slot and free agency....

Belt's rebirth and Pagan's return really stabilized things. If Panda comes into camp in good/great shape, and Belt continues his hitting ways, this lineup can do some damage next year.

Pagan means a good deal to our success. We were still right in the race when he got hurt. Since then it was crash and burn. Losing Vogelsong killed us as well, because we had no decent replacement. Pagan's injury proved how much we depend on a good leadoff hitter. These are great reasons to make Shin-Soo Choo and SP depth priorities in the offseason.

Here's the question though: If we drop out of the top 10 in the draft and the Reds give Choo a qualifying offer (which they will), do we try to sign him? Say we're sitting at #12 (11th overall is guaranteed to Toronto), do we give up that relatively high pick for a veteran OF or do we go another route?

I would probably go in another direction. I like Choo but I certainly would not give up that high of a pick plus at least 50 million dollars for him.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
this team has been playing better as of late. This isn't a bad team; more like an underachieving team. I hope this good play will carry over to next year. I know most of you guys would want the team to take, but I rather see my team win...even if it costs us a few slots in the draft. And i am also aware of the ramifications of being a top ten draft slot and free agency....

Belt's rebirth and Pagan's return really stabilized things. If Panda comes into camp in good/great shape, and Belt continues his hitting ways, this lineup can do some damage next year.

Pagan means a good deal to our success. We were still right in the race when he got hurt. Since then it was crash and burn. Losing Vogelsong killed us as well, because we had no decent replacement. Pagan's injury proved how much we depend on a good leadoff hitter. These are great reasons to make Shin-Soo Choo and SP depth priorities in the offseason.

Here's the question though: If we drop out of the top 10 in the draft and the Reds give Choo a qualifying offer (which they will), do we try to sign him? Say we're sitting at #12 (11th overall is guaranteed to Toronto), do we give up that relatively high pick for a veteran OF or do we go another route?

I would probably go in another direction. I like Choo but I certainly would not give up that high of a pick plus at least 50 million dollars for him.

I definitely think it's hard to justify losing a high pick and paying someone 4/5 years @ $60M+ total knowing they've already won two titles without anyone of note playing that position. We definitely need an upgrade there, but I agree, that's too high a price to pay if Choo gets a QO. If for some reason the Reds don't make him a QO, he'll be an even hotter commodity and possibly priced out of our range, knowing we still need to re-sign Pence and sign at least one quality SP.

I definitely think it's hard to justify losing a high pick and paying someone 4/5 years @ $60M+ total knowing they've already won two titles without anyone of note playing that position. We definitely need an upgrade there, but I agree, that's too high a price to pay if Choo gets a QO. If for some reason the Reds don't make him a QO, he'll be an even hotter commodity and possibly priced out of our range, knowing we still need to re-sign Pence and sign at least one quality SP.

I just cannot imagine a scenario where CIncy doesnt offer him a Qualifying offer. Knowing that Scott Boras is his agent you know that the $$ will be big too. It would simply be too costly in my opinion for a guy who doesnt hit lefties, isnt a plus defender, and will over priced in this limited free agent market.

I just cannot imagine a scenario where CIncy doesnt offer him a Qualifying offer. Knowing that Scott Boras is his agent you know that the $$ will be big too. It would simply be too costly in my opinion for a guy who doesnt hit lefties, isnt a plus defender, and will over priced in this limited free agent market.

The only realistic shot we have is to finish in the top 10. Even then, we'd still have to pay a s**tload of money for him, but we wouldn't lose that high pick. In that scenario, it would be all about the front office's willingness (or not) to pay top dollar for Choo.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
damn, no trips to Anaheim
Originally posted by boast:

play AL central, (except the A's)

was hoping they would play in Baltimore. Give me an excuse to see Camden.

Like you, I avoid trips to Chavez Latrine. Would rather make the drive to SD when they visit Petco. Always a lot of orange and black whenever the G men are in town in Daygo.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:

Like you, I avoid trips to Chavez Latrine. Would rather make the drive to SD when they visit Petco. Always a lot of orange and black whenever the G men are in town in Daygo.

yeah, its our 2nd home field

• boast
  • Hella Fame

train ride to Petco is fun too

train ride to Petco is fun too

I gotta try that one day.
20/20 for Pence.
20/20 for Pence.

My doot
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
20/20 for Pence.

word!
Share 49ersWebzone