Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Christian Arroyo wins AZL MVP.

Wow

He was the best performer on the league's best team. It's also interesting that all 5 of the low-level teams made the playoffs and 4 of these teams (San Jose, Augusta, Salem-Keizer and the AZL) have/had the best overall records in their respective leagues. The other lower-level team, the DSL Giants, won their division but finished with the 4th best record in a 35-team league. Says a lot about some of the talent coming up from the lower minors.

I really hope so. Richmond and Fresno needs to catch up.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Wow

He was the best performer on the league's best team. It's also interesting that all 5 of the low-level teams made the playoffs and 4 of these teams (San Jose, Augusta, Salem-Keizer and the AZL) have/had the best overall records in their respective leagues. The other lower-level team, the DSL Giants, won their division but finished with the 4th best record in a 35-team league. Says a lot about some of the talent coming up from the lower minors.

Richmond will be really good next year because of the talent infusion from SJ/Augusta...Fresno, not so much. It's all about pitching and all the really good pitching will be in Richmond and below next season.

Wow

Richmond will be really good next year because of the talent infusion from SJ/Augusta...Fresno, not so much. It's all about pitching and all the really good pitching will be in Richmond and below next season.

Fresno will dominate in 2015 tho
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

Wow

Fresno will dominate in 2015 tho

With Gary Brown as their center fielder

Wow

I wonder if it has to do with the Giants organizational philosophy of hitting and prioritization of pitching? Our lower minor league teams always do very well, but Fresno always seems to be mediocre. Since the Giants preach aggressive, early count contact swinging, the opposing lower minors pitching must be more ceceptable without fully developed breaking pitches.

Just a theory.
I can make it to Richmond in two hours, I should catch a game next year.
I can make it to Richmond in two hours, I should catch a game next year.

It will be worth the trip; that team will be loaded.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Wow

I wonder if it has to do with the Giants organizational philosophy of hitting and prioritization of pitching? Our lower minor league teams always do very well, but Fresno always seems to be mediocre. Since the Giants preach aggressive, early count contact swinging, the opposing lower minors pitching must be more ceceptable without fully developed breaking pitches.

Just a theory.

Definite possibility. I tend to think it has more to do with the organizational emphasis on drafting/developing pitchers. Not sure of the exact numbers, but we tend to select pitchers early and often in the draft (including a ton of college arms), especially recently. So it could be just the old adage of good pitching beats good hitting (especially in the low minors) and we stack the odds in our favor by drafting tons of pitchers compared to positional players.

Wow

Just a theory.

Definite possibility. I tend to think it has more to do with the organizational emphasis on drafting/developing pitchers. Not sure of the exact numbers, but we tend to select pitchers early and often in the draft (including a ton of college arms), especially recently. So it could be just the old adage of good pitching beats good hitting (especially in the low minors) and we stack the odds in our favor by drafting tons of pitchers compared to positional players.

That philosophy needs to change some now that the Giants have so many promising young arms in the organization. I am NOT saying they should ignore pitching obviously but they need to put a premium on power bats especially in the OF.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Wow

Just a theory.

That philosophy needs to change some now that the Giants have so many promising young arms in the organization. I am NOT saying they should ignore pitching obviously but they need to put a premium on power bats especially in the OF.

Part of me agrees, and another part of me says you can never have enough quality pitchers. If for no other reasons, you can use those young arms as chips to get the veteran positional players you need. But yah, we need a handful of RH power bats in the system....right now there's Mac, Ragira and maybe Chuckie Jones and infielders Mingo, Villalona and Duvall. That's pretty much it.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 31, 2013 at 7:06 PM ]
Javy Lopez is such a BAWSE
Whoops
[ Edited by DatNyjerSireez on Aug 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM ]
Dammit Rosario
Congrats to the AZL Giants who won their semi-final playoff game today 5-1 against the Padres. 21 year-old LHP Luis Isla pitched 6 strong innings giving up just 1 unearned run on 4 hits with 2 walks and 9 Ks. Christian Arroyo went 1-4 with a run scored and Ryder Jones went 1-3 with a walk and a run scored.

They play tomorrow night for the AZL Championship against the baby Dodgers. The rivalry starts early folks.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Wow

Just a theory.

Part of the problem is the Giants have been so bad at drafting good hitters, that I dont trust them to make more early round hitter selections. Theyd probably be better off waiting for some development and then trading their minor league pitching depth for good young hitting prospects.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com