LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

we're going all in. we're sigining Tanaka, Abreu, Pence, and giving Timmy a QO. Championship.
I WANT ELLSBURY!
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I WANT ELLSBURY!

I like Jacoby but he will be really expensive. I think getting a cheaper power hitting RH bat and spending the money on Tanaka makes a lot more sense. No way the Giants would sign Pence, Tanaka, and Ellsbury.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I WANT ELLSBURY!

I like Jacoby but he will be really expensive. I think getting a cheaper power hitting RH bat and spending the money on Tanaka makes a lot more sense. No way the Giants would sign Pence, Tanaka, and Ellsbury.

Those guys will all be around $14M per year each, so that would be ~$42M in base salaries for 2014 if we signed them all....which oddly enough, is the amount we spent just on Zito/Timmy alone this year. So technically we could do those deals (the amount of years would be the only sticking point), but I agree that the Giants wouldn't do all of that. They'll likely sign Pence, push hard on either Timmy (short term deal) or Tanaka (longer contract) and fill LF with a cheaper option.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I WANT ELLSBURY!

Those guys will all be around $14M per year each, so that would be ~$42M in base salaries for 2014 if we signed them all....which oddly enough, is the amount we spent just on Zito/Timmy alone this year. So technically we could do those deals (the amount of years would be the only sticking point), but I agree that the Giants wouldn't do all of that. They'll likely sign Pence, push hard on either Timmy (short term deal) or Tanaka (longer contract) and fill LF with a cheaper option.

Letting Timmy go might be a PR nightmare at first because of everything he has done here. However, if they signed Tanaka the fans would quickly forgive them ( assuming he does great). I just think its time to let Lincecum go. He has thrown so many pitches over the years and his stuff and command isnt what it was obviously. Could he bounce back? Perhaps. However, I think he projects to an end of the rotation guy now.
I WANT ELLSBURY!

Letting Timmy go might be a PR nightmare at first because of everything he has done here. However, if they signed Tanaka the fans would quickly forgive them ( assuming he does great). I just think its time to let Lincecum go. He has thrown so many pitches over the years and his stuff and command isnt what it was obviously. Could he bounce back? Perhaps. However, I think he projects to an end of the rotation guy now.

Agreed. It's like the Warriors situation where fans booed Lacob mercilessly after trading Monta, but all is/was forgotten pretty quickly once the team started winning. It was like "Monta who???" once the team went on their playoff run. Same thing will happen if Tanaka pitches well and the team gets back on track...and, it won't take much for Tanaka to pitch better than Timmy has the last few years, so there's that too.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM ]
Bring in Tanaka and Abreu.

Resign Pence.

WS bound, son.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

Resign Pence.

WS bound, son.

Where would we play Abreu? I think he's a 1B

Resign pence and Gaudin, and with the addition of Tanaka, this team could be in the chase for a WC.

I would want Ellsburry too but we WISELY spent that money on Pagan.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Resign Pence.

WS bound, son.

Resign pence and Gaudin, and with the addition of Tanaka, this team could be in the chase for a WC.

i know ppl still rag on the Pagan deal, but if healthy, he still provides the spark at leadoff for us.

yea, Abreu is a 1b, and they say "strictly" a 1b. it would be a risk, but that guy could be the potential POWER in the middle of the lineup we've been looking for. at 6'2'', and 260 lbs, he's definitely got the sz to hit one a mile.
Agreed. It's like the Warriors situation where fans booed Lacob mercilessly after trading Monta, but all is/was forgotten pretty quickly once the team started winning. It was like "Monta who???" once the team went on their playoff run. Same thing will happen if Tanaka pitches well and the team gets back on track...and, it won't take much for Tanaka to pitch better than Timmy has the last few years, so there's that too.

I see what you're saying, but I think it's a little different that Timmy was a major part in winning two W/S, while Monta never even took the Warriors to the playoffs... But yes I think people would start forgetting about Timmy if we start winning again. I won't, though... I'll still have his poster up on my wall

Resign Pence.

WS bound, son.

i know ppl still rag on the Pagan deal, but if healthy, he still provides the spark at leadoff for us.

yea, Abreu is a 1b, and they say "strictly" a 1b. it would be a risk, but that guy could be the potential POWER in the middle of the lineup we've been looking for. at 6'2'', and 260 lbs, he's definitely got the sz to hit one a mile.

I also don't see why he can't play LF, it's not like it's a defensively demanding position. If he can produce at the ML-level I'm sure his bat would make up for his deficiencies in the field.

That being said, I'm sure he'll end up in Boston or Texas where they can DH him if need be.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
it's time to move Buster to another position. enough with these injuries!
Originally posted by boast:
it's time to move Buster to another position. enough with these injuries!

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I also don't see why he can't play LF, it's not like it's a defensively demanding position. If he can produce at the ML-level I'm sure his bat would make up for his deficiencies in the field.

That being said, I'm sure he'll end up in Boston or Texas where they can DH him if need be.

i was thinking the same thing. if Adam Dunn can be left out there....lol

then again, Cespedes has seen lots of defensive lapses in the outfield, but he gets a pass with a pretty strong arm and speed. unless Abreu is slower than Dunn.

Resign Pence.

WS bound, son.

lol Ellsbury is going to cost 3 times as much as Pagan did. Its not like we picked one over the other.

I think Choo would be a much better signing to leadoff. Elite OB% for a fraction of Ellsbury's price.
Share 49ersWebzone