LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

SAN DIEGO – Heath Hembree headlines a list of eight players who will join the Giants on Tuesday following the regular-season finale for Triple-A Fresno.

In addition to Hembree, talented defensive shortstop Ehire Adrianza and power-hitting catcher Johnny Monell will be on a big league roster for the first time. The club also will recall infielder Nick Noonan, outfielder Francisco Peguero, outfielder Juan Perez, right-hander George Kontos and right-hander Jake Dunning.

Again, no Gary Brown
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
SAN DIEGO – Heath Hembree headlines a list of eight players who will join the Giants on Tuesday following the regular-season finale for Triple-A Fresno.

In addition to Hembree, talented defensive shortstop Ehire Adrianza and power-hitting catcher Johnny Monell will be on a big league roster for the first time. The club also will recall infielder Nick Noonan, outfielder Francisco Peguero, outfielder Juan Perez, right-hander George Kontos and right-hander Jake Dunning.

Again, no Gary Brown

Brown really didnt play well enough to deserve a call up. I know we all want to see him but I understand why he didnt.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Brown really didnt play well enough to deserve a call up. I know we all want to see him but I understand why he didnt.

Ya, but do you ever wonder if he can pull a Bryce Harper. Harper was less than impressive in the minors, the tore it up. Obviously he isn't Harper, but maybe he needs the rush of the bigs to peak. Its just frustrating reading and hearing about this kid for years with nothing to show for it. We could have traded him for something good many times. Now that we fail to call him up in sept. when we suck, that says a lot. If I were another team, I wouldn't give up anything good for him now.

Ya, but do you ever wonder if he can pull a Bryce Harper. Harper was less than impressive in the minors, the tore it up. Obviously he isn't Harper, but maybe he needs the rush of the bigs to peak. Its just frustrating reading and hearing about this kid for years with nothing to show for it. We could have traded him for something good many times. Now that we fail to call him up in sept. when we suck, that says a lot. If I were another team, I wouldn't give up anything good for him now.

Brown has very little trade value now. Giants are better off keeping him and hoping the light bulb somehow goes off. At this point he is simply a huge bust.

Brown has very little trade value now. Giants are better off keeping him and hoping the light bulb somehow goes off. At this point he is simply a huge bust.

Yep and

I agree.

Hembree
Dunning

But give Brown a shot. Francisco has already been up here at least twice.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Harper is four years younger. It's understandable for an 18 year old to struggle in the Eastern league.
Garry Brown may be out of baseball in a few years if he doesnt turn things around. These stats are awful:

.231 Batting average
.286 OBP for a leadoff hitter
135 Ks and just 33 walks
just 17 out of 28 in steal attempts

These are not stats for someone ready to be called up to the majors.
Garry Brown may be out of baseball in a few years if he doesnt turn things around. These stats are awful:

.231 Batting average
135 Ks and just 33 walks

This makes me has a sad, john.

I was glad the G's kept Brown over Wheeler. Wow, I was wrong.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

.231 Batting average
135 Ks and just 33 walks

I think the Giants realized that Brown wouldnt be anything special when they went out and gave Pagan a 4 year/40 million dollar deal. They never would have done that if they had thought Brown would be good enough to be their everyday CF.

.231 Batting average
135 Ks and just 33 walks

I think the Giants realized that Brown wouldnt be anything special when they went out and gave Pagan a 4 year/40 million dollar deal. They never would have done that if they had thought Brown would be good enough to be their everyday CF.

Which is really hard to comprehend especially when you see how much pure talent Brown has. It's got to be a mental thing, because Brown actually put up really good numbers last year in Richmond (a much more difficult place to hit than Fresno) but he's taken a nosedive this year for some crazy reason.

The guy I think who will really impress over the next month is Ehire Adrianza. His range at SS is pretty spectacular and he really uses his plus speed to his advantage at the plate, unlike his teammate Gary Brown.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Which is really hard to comprehend especially when you see how much pure talent Brown has. It's got to be a mental thing, because Brown actually put up really good numbers last year in Richmond (a much more difficult place to hit than Fresno) but he's taken a nosedive this year for some crazy reason.

The guy I think who will really impress over the next month is Ehire Adrianza. His range at SS is pretty spectacular and he really uses his plus speed to his advantage at the plate, unlike his teammate Gary Brown.

If he does well in the next month and next year's spring training, do you think he could be the utility man in the IF?

If he does well in the next month and next year's spring training, do you think he could be the utility man in the IF?

Defensively I think he can be a strong utility guy right now, especially at SS/2nd (much better than Abreu, IMO), just not sure about 3rd. I also think he'd be a valuable pinch-runner, something we pretty much did without most of this year. But yah, it's all going to come down to how well he hits...if he can show enough at the plate (which I think he will, given his short stroke and good speed) I think he'll be a strong possibility for next year.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM ]
I hope Monell gets to catch at least one game.

Just watched these guys three times when they came through Sac. Don't have close to the knowledge you have about our farm, but a few observations...

The thing I noticed about Gary Brown...kid just cannot hit a breaking pitch. Can't count the number of times he was fooled badly by movement. And this is AAA-level pitching. Speed is incredible...almost legged out a routine grounder to second. But wasn't impressed by his discipline at the plate.

Adrianza is super smooth in the field...great range. Similar movements to Elvis Andrus. Really impressive. And he seemed to have a clue at the plate. Stats are solid since joining Fresno and he looked capable. Would love to see him get some playing time up here, but hard to see it happening.

And even with Brown looking bad, wouldn't hate to see him come up and get a few starts in LF. Let's get a closer look. Let him be around the big club. I love Blanco, but there is not much to be gained by playing him everyday in Sept.
Share 49ersWebzone