There are 194 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Guess who leads the AZL in OPS, SLG%, doubles and RBIs?

Kid is also 2nd in hits, 6th in average and 5th in wRC+.

He looks like hes 8 years old.

Probably pulled a Trayvon Martin and used a picture from middle school.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM ]
Giants are not doing a very good job of tanking lately.
So Pablo decides to get his head out of his ass when the team has no chance at the post season?

Makes sense, pablo.
Odds are we pick no later than 15, and in what's lining up to be a really deep draft, we should still be able to get a difference-maker. But to able to sign guys that have received QOs, we need to be in that top 10 so let's get the tank back on track!
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM ]
Odds are we pick no later than 15, and in what's lining up to be a really deep draft, we should still be able to get a difference-maker. But to able to sign guys that have received QOs, we need to be in that top 10 so let's get the tank bank on track!

Good point man.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Lol that gif is awesome.

Romo, 32 saves on a crappy team. Not too bad considering he's horrible.

Pence hit a 476 foot homer last night, longest in the bigs all YEAR

that ball was blasted
Odds are we pick no later than 15, and in what's lining up to be a really deep draft, we should still be able to get a difference-maker. But to able to sign guys that have received QOs, we need to be in that top 10 so let's get the tank back on track!

Yep. No point in winning these games now. Play the kids, rest guys more and get a top 10 pick.
Sometimes numbers can be deceiving, especially when they're in the form of statistics. But no matter how you slice it, the pitching numbers that the SJ Giant starters put up this year given their respective ages and compared to other starters in the league, are incredibly impressive.

Top 15 ERAs for starting pitchers in the Cal League (min 50 IP, pure starters only) - player, team, age, stat

1.) Kyle Crick, Giants (20) - 1.75
2.) Eddie Butler, Rockies (22) - 2.39
3.) Ty Blach, Giants (22) - 2.79
4.) Edwin Escobar, Giants (21) - 2.89
5.) Danny Winkler, Rockies (23) - 2.97
6.) Andrew Granier, A's (24) - 3.25
7.) Thomas Shirley, Astros (24) - 3.36
8.) Adalberto Mejia, Giants (20) - 3.38
9.) Mark Sappington, Angels (22) - 3.38
10.) Tyler Anderson, Rockies (23) - 3.41
11.) Raul Alcantara, A's (20) - 3.45
12.) Shane Dyer, Reds (25) - 3.57
13.) Clayton Blackburn, Giants (20) - 3.65
14.) Eddie Mckiernan, Dbacks (24) - 3.68
15.) Alexander Keudell, Angels (23) - 3.70

Basically, the entire rotation made it in the top 15 and only Blach is 22, Escobar is 21 and the other 3 are 20 years old, in a league where most of the other quality starters are 22-24. FIP was an even more telling stat:

Top 10 FIP for starting pitchers in the Cal League (min 50 IP, pure starters only) - player, team, age, stat

1.) Edwin Escobar, Giants (21) - 1.98
2.) Ty Blach, Giants (22) - 2.60
3.) Kyle Crick, Giants (20) - 2.54
4.) Aaron West, Astros (23) - 2.65
5.) Lindsey Caughel, Dodgers (23) - 3.14
6.) Clayton Blackburn, Giants (20) - 3.29
7.) Andrew Granier, A's (24) - 3.31
8.) Danny Winkler, Rockies (23) - 3.42
9.) Kramer Sneed, Angels (24) - 3.42
10.) Adalberto Mejia, Giants (20) - 3.49

That's starting pitching dominance from a bunch of a young guys in a league that really does favor hitting.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM ]
^^ I'm stoked Blackburn has turned it around this year. I heard he's been dominant lately.

And the more I hear about Escobar, the more I get excited. Everyone's talking about Crick, but it looks like Escobar will be the one we see in the majors first.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
^^ I'm stoked Blackburn has turned it around this year. I heard he's been dominant lately.

And the more I hear about Escobar, the more I get excited. Everyone's talking about Crick, but it looks like Escobar will be the one we see in the majors first.

Throw out the month of May (which I'm sure Blackburn wishes he could) and he's one of the top 2-3 starting pitchers in the league. He definitely finished strong and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets the game 1 start in the playoffs next Saturday over Crick. In fact, that's exactly what I'd do...go with Blackburn in game #1 (has previous CL playoff experience from last year), then come back with Crick in game #2.

Escobar is definitely my favorite prospect, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in late 2014 if all goes well.

Funny how small changes here and there can make all the difference in the world.

1.) If we don't trade Wheeler, we have a clear cut #3 next year
2.) If the Marlins don't take Christian Yelich one pick ahead of us in '10, we have a starting LF with a ton of potential; instead we got Gary Brown
3.) If the Reds don't take Robert Stephenson two picks ahead of us in '11, we have another SP with HUGE upside waiting in the wings; instead we get Joe Panik
4.) If the Cardinals don't take Michael Wacha (already a major league starter) just ONE pick ahead of us, we have a world-class rotation; instead we got Chris Stratton

We were one bone-headed trade and 3 unlucky picks away from having one of the top farm systems in all of baseball, and a roster that would look like this next year:

SP - Cain, MadBum, Wheeler, Wacha, Vogey or possibly Stephenson

Pagan - CF
Scutaro - 2nd
Belt - 1st
Posey - C
Panda - 3rd
Pence - RF
Yelich - LF
Crawford - SS

If, if, if.....
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM ]
Funny how small changes here and there can make all the difference in the world.

2.) If the Marlins don't take Christian Yelich one pick ahead of us in '10, we have a starting LF with a ton of potential; instead we got Gary Brown
3.) If the Reds don't take Robert Stephenson two picks ahead of us in '11, we have another SP with HUGE upside waiting in the wings; instead we get Joe Panik
4.) If the Cardinals don't take Michael Wacha (already a major league starter) just ONE pick ahead of us, we have a world-class rotation; instead we got Chris Stratton

We were one bone-headed trade and 3 unlucky picks away from having one of the top farm systems in all of baseball, and a roster that would look like this next year:

Pagan - CF
Scutaro - 2nd
Belt - 1st
Posey - C
Panda - 3rd
Pence - RF
Yelich - LF
Crawford - SS

If, if, if.....

Why is everyone giving up on Chris Stratton already? He was drafted in 2012...

The Giants track record with taking SP early in drafts is too good to give up now.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Lol that gif is awesome.

Romo, 32 saves on a crappy team. Not too bad considering he's horrible.

Pence hit a 476 foot homer last night, longest in the bigs all YEAR

One of the longest HR at Coors ever. Hit the bricks of that food stand out beyond the LF seats. Giancarlo Stanton has hit some absolute BOMBS at Coors, but I dont think any of them went THAT far beyond the bleachers.

Pagan - CF
Scutaro - 2nd
Belt - 1st
Posey - C
Panda - 3rd
Pence - RF
Yelich - LF
Crawford - SS

If, if, if.....

Why is everyone giving up on Chris Stratton already? He was drafted in 2012...

The Giants track record with taking SP early in drafts is too good to give up now.

How did you get "giving up on Stratton" from that post? Just saying, Wacha blew through the minors and is already in a major league rotation. He's got a mid-90's FB and a changeup that's already a plus pitch.....sounds like someone we could use right now. I like Stratton a lot, just not as much as Wacha and most people who follow these things would agree.

My point being (since it's slow at work today) how different things might've been if but for a guy dropping just one or two slots from where we picked. We hear a lot about how bad our farm system is (and it's not really) and especially about how few guys are ready to play in the majors (that's legit). But that's not always a function of bad drafting per se; it's sometimes a function of picking what's available after a plus-prospect gets taken just before you pick. More specifically, if guys like Yelich or Wacha go just one pick ahead of you, there isn't anything you can do about it. You pick what remains and hope your scouting pays off.

But if for some crazy reason guys like that last just one more pick (or in Stephenson's case, two more picks) it changes the entire complexion/perception of a system. We not only have 3 big-time prospects joining the big club this year/early next filling critical spots and saving tons of FA money, we'd still have the young pitching depth that is on the way (Escobar, Blackburn, Agosta, Mejia, Flores, Gregorio, Mella, etc....and who knows, maybe we still draft Crick as a project in 2011).

Factor in the Wheeler debacle, and we were oh-so close from having one of the deepest systems in the game.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Guess who leads the AZL in OPS, SLG%, hits, doubles and RBIs?

Kid is also 2nd in hits, tied for 6th in average and 5th in wRC+.

He looks like hes 8 years old.

LLWS #'s
Share 49ersWebzone