There are 174 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
#SFGiants made the following roster moves today: Kickham optioned to triple-A. Torres placed on 15-day DL with a left achilles strain.

Nick Noonan and Francisco Peguero have both been recalled from triple-A Fresno #SFGiants

With Pagan coming back soon and Juan Perez a likely call-up, I have a feeling we won't be seeing Torres anymore.

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
#SFGiants made the following roster moves today: Kickham optioned to triple-A. Torres placed on 15-day DL with a left achilles strain.

Nick Noonan and Francisco Peguero have both been recalled from triple-A Fresno #SFGiants

With Pagan coming back soon and Juan Perez a likely call-up, I have a feeling we won't be seeing Torres anymore.

Cain don't want to play today.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Tank mode baby!
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Tank mode baby!

So true lol. Guillermo and Mijares doing their part.
I like how the Giants traded for Moscoso just to have an arm they could run into the ground the rest of the season without taxing any RP they actually like.

Also, did anyone see Brian Wilson pitch today? Hes wearing number 00 and has the end of his beard in a pony tail...
Take the fire sale Marlins out of the picture and the Giants are going to have the worst record ever for a WS champion.. What a disaster. Sabean thought the roster last year was a great one when in reality there were so many flaws that he didnt correct.

GO PIRATES. I want them to win the division anyway.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Take the fire sale Marlins out of the picture and the Giants are going to have the worst record ever for a WS champion.. What a disaster. Sabean thought the roster last year was a great one when in reality there were so many flaws that he didnt correct.

In all fairness, you win your 2nd title in 3 years, there's just not a lot of incentive to make major roster changes. It wasn't a stretch to think this team as constructed could at least compete for a playoff spot...and this team has shown once they get in the playoffs, they find a way to win it all.

I don't know if anyone, even the most negative Giants fan, saw this coming.

In all fairness, you win your 2nd title in 3 years, there's just not a lot of incentive to make major roster changes. It wasn't a stretch to think this team as constructed could at least compete for a playoff spot...and this team has shown once they get in the playoffs, they find a way to win it all.

I dont think anyone saw THIS coming but Sabean did nothing to fix LF and counted on no injuries to the staff to the starting pitching. And, I disagree that a team should not aggressively try to improve the team even after winning a title. Finally, letting Panda get so out of shape and not produce was unacceptable. They should have sat his fat ass until he got motivated to get his weight down.

Its great - REALLY great to have won 2 titles. I just think more could have been done to have avoided such a collapse.

• jrg
  • Veteran

I dont think anyone saw THIS coming but Sabean did nothing to fix LF and counted on no injuries to the staff to the starting pitching. And, I disagree that a team should not aggressively try to improve the team even after winning a title. Finally, letting Panda get so out of shape and not produce was unacceptable. They should have sat his fat ass until he got motivated to get his weight down.

Its great - REALLY great to have won 2 titles. I just think more could have been done to have avoided such a collapse.

Technically, they've only had one starting pitcher go down and his starts have been covered nicely by Gaudin, so that's a wash. Panda was huge last year and won the WS MVP, so that's not new. We also haven't had a real LF since Barry, but that hasn't mattered in previous championship seasons. My sense is, they figured they had enough talent to stay in first or stay close until July when they would trade for whatever they needed.

That strategy worked in 2010 an 2012, but CLEARLY failed miserably this year.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM ]
Well Brett Pill wants to start
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Time to shut down cain.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Time to shut down cain.

Share 49ersWebzone