LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I got one...

Kickham to the curb.

That one was used after his first start.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Could Posey end up playing 3B in the future? I know there are a lot of things that have to happen before this, but it is interesting.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/buster-posey-third-base-it-could-happen

I know people talk about diminished value if Posey isn't behind the plate, but the longer Buster is behind the plate the more wear-and-tear he'll experience...and that will definitely diminish his value. So it's more about picking your poison. A veteran like Carlos Ruiz will be a free agent in 2015, which is about the same time Andrew Susac should be ready to make the 25-man roster. I say pair Susac with Ruiz (or someone like him) behind the plate and move Buster to 3rd in 2015.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Could Posey end up playing 3B in the future? I know there are a lot of things that have to happen before this, but it is interesting.

I know people talk about diminished value if Posey isn't behind the plate, but the longer Buster is behind the plate the more wear-and-tear he'll experience...and that will definitely diminish his value. So it's more about picking your poison. A veteran like Carlos Ruiz will be a free agent in 2015, which is about the same time Andrew Susac should be ready to make the 25-man roster. I say pair Susac with Ruiz (or someone like him) behind the plate and move Buster to 3rd in 2015.

I think it will all come down to how Panda dedicates himself and how convinced the Giants are that he will stay in shape and produce. If they decide to move him or not sign him then it makes sense to put Posey at 3rd. If they do sign Panda then I could see the Giants playing with the notion of Buster in LF.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I think it will all come down to how Panda dedicates himself and how convinced the Giants are that he will stay in shape and produce. If they decide to move him or not sign him then it makes sense to put Posey at 3rd. If they do sign Panda then I could see the Giants playing with the notion of Buster in LF.

Problem is I don't trust the Panda long term. The Panda will certainly get in the shape of his life going into next season given it is his contract year. Once the 5 or 6 year big guaranteed contract is secured the odds are the Panda will get lazy again.
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:

Problem is I don't trust the Panda long term. The Panda will certainly get in the shape of his life going into next season given it is his contract year. Once the 5 or 6 year big guaranteed contract is secured the odds are the Panda will get lazy again.

That could be the case and the Giants or any team would be be crazy to give him a 6 year deal. But, the Giants lack of hitting in their entire system has put them in a position where they may have to gamble on Panda.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Buster Posey aint playing 3B

If they do re-sign Panda and he loses the weight/keeps it off, I'd probably flip that around and have Panda in LF and play Buster at 3rd. To me, Buster is athletic in terms of short-area quickness, footwork and hands but he's pretty slow afoot, which doesn't bode well for an outfielder. But a slimmed-down Panda would be an excellent LF, IMO....if he could keep the weight off.
Originally posted by Garcia:

"I think he'd be a really good third baseman." Bruce Bochy

You have no idea what he will be doing down the road. First base will be out with Belt coming on and the Giants may want to protect their best hitter from injury and ear and tear. It isnt like other teams havent moved catchers to other spots. I think 3B or LF could be an option depending again what they decide to do with Sandoval. Ideally, Sandoval gets in shape, the Giants get an impact LF, and Posey stays at C for the next few years. No given however.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

our current 3B started out as a C

Btw, they need to make another move and bring up a 2nd basemen to give Scutaro a good week off at least. He's been shaky in the field most of the season, but looks downright ragged right now in all areas. Noonan, Abreu or even Adrianza need to be called up ASAP.
Originally posted by boast:

Exactly. Can't decide if Garcia is trolling or if he's obtuse.
push hard for DH and make buster DH lol
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:

Exactly. Can't decide if Garcia is trolling or if he's obtuse.

Every time I hear that word I think of Shawshank Redemption.

You have no idea what he will be doing down the road. First base will be out with Belt coming on and the Giants may want to protect their best hitter from injury and ear and tear. It isnt like other teams havent moved catchers to other spots. I think 3B or LF could be an option depending again what they decide to do with Sandoval. Ideally, Sandoval gets in shape, the Giants get an impact LF, and Posey stays at C for the next few years. No given however.

I just don't know who replaces him at C and provides the same value. Susac is far from even remotely a given as a major league player although he's improved a ton in the minors this year.

I think it's much easier to go out at get a 3B or a LF than a catcher like Posey.
Share 49ersWebzone