There are 606 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
No doubt. He can run into one every once and awhile and nobody is running on that OF arm, so he definitely has some value. Really curious to see how this Kiesch/Francoeur platoon plays the rest of the year.

It's something to keep an eye on because Sabean may settle for another low cost platoon in LF next year.
Francoeur would be a solid platoon option next year, and hes only 2 years removed from a 20 hr, 87 rbi, .285 season with 47 doubles. Hes incredibly inconsistent, but he has the ability to have a big season out of nowhere.
only 12 back
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
only 12 back

Originally posted by Niners99:
Francoeur would be a solid platoon option next year, and hes only 2 years removed from a 20 hr, 87 rbi, .285 season with 47 doubles. Hes incredibly inconsistent, but he has the ability to have a big season out of nowhere.

There are obvious reasons to be worried about a Kieschnick/Francoeur platoon in left for '14, but I'm also slightly intrigued by it.

There are obvious reasons to be worried about a Kieschnick/Francoeur platoon in left for '14, but I'm also slightly intrigued by it.

Could do a Kieschnick/Pill platoon with Blanco as the fifth OFer. Pill can spell Belt too.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Could do a Kieschnick/Pill platoon with Blanco as the fifth OFer. Pill can spell Belt too.

The upside to a Kiesch/Frenchy LF platoon is the money you save on that. Opens up the possibility of also signing a top-line starter to go along with MadBum, Cain and either Vogey or Gaudin. Not sure who that top-line starter would be since the only quality starter next year seems to be Matt Garza, and he has more than a few warts. Maybe Ervin Santana, but he'll likely cost a 1st round pick (if it's unprotected).
The upside to a Kiesch/Frenchy LF platoon is the money you save on that. Opens up the possibility of also signing a top-line starter to go along with MadBum, Cain and either Vogey or Gaudin. Not sure who that top-line starter would be since the only quality starter next year seems to be Matt Garza, and he has more than a few warts. Maybe Ervin Santana, but he'll likely cost a 1st round pick (if it's unprotected).

if we go after a starter, i hope it isn't that a*****e, Matt Garza
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of him as a human being but he's a pretty good pitcher. I think he'll be outlandishly overpriced and we won't go after him.

I think it's realistic to expect a rotation of: Bummy, Cain, Timmy, Vogey and Gaudin.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of him as a human being but he's a pretty good pitcher. I think he'll be outlandishly overpriced and we won't go after him.

I think it's realistic to expect a rotation of: Bummy, Cain, Timmy, Vogey and Gaudin.

I dont think there is anyway we go after Garza and certainly wont give up a first for Santana. My guess is the Giants will trade a prospect for a 2nd tier SP to go along with Bum, Cain, Vogey, and Gaudin. I cant see them spending big bucks on a long term deal when their strength in the minors is young starting pitching. I still think Timmy will be gone if another team like Seattle gives him a multi year deal.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
We got Cy Young Candidate Gaudin, we are set.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I dont think there is anyway we go after Garza and certainly wont give up a first for Santana. My guess is the Giants will trade a prospect for a 2nd tier SP to go along with Bum, Cain, Vogey, and Gaudin. I cant see them spending big bucks on a long term deal when their strength in the minors is young starting pitching. I still think Timmy will be gone if another team like Seattle gives him a multi year deal.

True, but that strong minor league pitching is at least a year away if not longer. Edwin Escobar will hit first, but that's not likely to happen until late '14. I initially projected Crick, Stratton and others to be ready around 2015, but 2016 seems more likely.

My sense is, they'll re-sign Timmy and Gaudin and keep Vogey as well. They'll also give Kickham another shot to earn a starting job...btw, he has thrown MUCH better in his last two outings.

Cain, MadBum, Timmy, Vogey, Gaudin/Kickham for 2014
MadBum, Cain, Timmy, Escobar, ????? for 2015

True, but that strong minor league pitching is at least a year away if not longer. Edwin Escobar will hit first, but that's not likely to happen until late '14. I initially projected Crick, Stratton and others to be ready around 2015, but 2016 seems more likely.

My sense is, they'll re-sign Timmy and Gaudin and keep Vogey as well. They'll also give Kickham another shot to earn a starting job...btw, he has thrown MUCH better in his last two outings.

If TImmy will sign a reasonable 3 year deal then maybe. Not a chance I give him more than 3 years/36. That would be tops.

If TImmy will sign a reasonable 3 year deal then maybe. Not a chance I give him more than 3 years/36. That would be tops.

Even if Timmy finishes strong down the stretch, I think that's reasonable.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM ]
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
only 12 back

10.5 in the 2nd WC Spot
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com