LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Clayton Blackburn sneaks into MLBs top 100 prospects.

Crick at #46, Blackburn at #100.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

thats crazy that our top 2 prospects are 46 and 100....
Originally posted by Garcia:

They have Kickham as the third ranked prospect in our system
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

That is a joke.

Kickham isn't our 3rd best prospect, but he's also not as bad as he's showed so far. He's only been in 5 games (3 starts), so I wouldn't make a quick judgment off that especially considering how quickly they rushed him through the system. I'd put him somewhere in the 8-12 range.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Man, not the Bonds thing again. He f**ked up and cheated. We look like NY homers hoping AROD is cleared when we pound the desk that Bonds was different. Was he a great hitter? Yes, HOF before he cheated. Would he have hit 74 HRs in a year with cheating? No.

Dude chill out. You're the only one turning it into a steroids thing. Cant we just talk about Bonds without getting into that part? The entire point was remembering how great he was aside from all the BS.

Giants fans are the one group who can actually remember and appreciate what he did without making it a roids conversation, because Bonds' career was so much better than just that. We witnessed his career from an everyday basis, and know how special of a player he was regardless.

Kickham isn't our 3rd best prospect, but he's also not as bad as he's showed so far. He's only been in 5 games (3 starts), so I wouldn't make a quick judgment off that especially considering how quickly they rushed him through the system. I'd put him somewhere in the 8-12 range.

Kickham shouldnt even be in the top 10 anymore. He was only in the top 10 to begin with because of how weak our system was. Now that several young pitchers have emerged as having nice potential down in A ball, Kickham should get bumped out.

Susac 15th Stratton 4th ............ and Kickham 3rd? These guys are on crack. I think Kickham projects as a middle reliever and not much more.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Susac 15th Stratton 4th ............ and Kickham 3rd? These guys are on crack. I think Kickham projects as a middle reliever and not much more.

Its mlb.com though. They have no idea what theyve talking about. Its like asking the baseball tonight crew to rank prospects...(or robniner). As far as im concerned, Baseball America's top 100 and Keith Law's top 100 are the best.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Its mlb.com though. They have no idea what theyve talking about. Its like asking the baseball tonight crew to rank prospects...(or robniner). As far as im concerned, Baseball America's top 100 and Keith Law's top 100 are the best.

Just thought it was interesting they bumped Blackburn, that's all.

Though you could be right about Kickham and I actually think that would be a good role for him, I think it's pretty short-sighted to make that judgment after 5 big-league games.

That is a joke.

No kidding.

I really don't understand why Kickham is rated so high on our prospects list. From everything I've seen, the guy just doesn't look to have anything to really get excited about or that makes me think, "Dang, it'll be crazy to see him develop 'such and such' .."

I get it with Crick, Stratton, and Blackburn. Those make sense. I can SEE the potential. I don't see it at all with Kickham. I bet the guy carries very little trade value too.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM ]

Though you could be right about Kickham and I actually think that would be a good role for him, I think it's pretty short-sighted to make that judgment after 5 big-league games.

I'm not saying that he CANT be a 5th starter someday. There are a lot of marginal SPS in the backend of rotations. I am just saying that I see him as a middle reliever based on what I saw of his stuff. Just wasnt that impressed .

I'm not saying that he CANT be a 5th starter someday. There are a lot of marginal SPS in the backend of rotations. I am just saying that I see him as a middle reliever based on what I saw of his stuff. Just wasnt that impressed .

He had mostly bad-to-horrible outings, so I get it...but his stuff is actually pretty good. We shall see.
Originally posted by Niners99:

FWIW, here's the Giants prospects pre-season ranking from various sources:

Mike Kickham, Giants
Baseball America (5th ranked)
John Sickels (7th ranked)
Keith Law (8th ranked)
Jonathan Mayo (12th ranked)
Baseball Prospectus (UR)
Fangraphs (6th ranked)

IMO, he hasn't done enough on the negative side to totally push him out of our top 10-15, but that's me.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone