There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
We are the dumbest team in the league to not unload our pending FA's, especially the one THAT ALREADY SAID HE'D COME BACK.

One thing I am positive about. The Giants will drastically overpay Hunter Pence whether they trade him or not. Pence is not an elite or great player at all but he will be paid like one by Sabean.

Pence is on pace to play 162 in the outfield, something no outfielder in a Giants Uni has ever done.
He is also on pace for 20+ HRs and 20+ steals, few people in the league can do that.
He is a decent defender.
Great arm. Top 5 in assists I believe.
Good Speed.
He will hit anywhere from around .270 - .300

I'm not really sure what else you could ask of a player? He is a pretty damn good ball player, he just isnt great at anything, an X-factor would be he is great in the locker room. He is not a #4 hitter he should be hitting 5th or 6th. But that being said I'd rather over-pay for a guy who is playing everyday and does a lot of things well than a guy who can do a few things exceptionally well and maybe is often injured.

Ever since you wanted to sign Barry Zito for several million next year I have completely ignored anything you say.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 70,332
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs2m
It's 4 pm. Pence just strutted through the clubhouse, both arms raised. Big smile.


Originally posted by robniner:
Pence apparently in a happy mood in the clubhouse due to not being traded away.


cool. see that's another reason i'm partial to HP. he loves it here. Giants payroll = not my money!
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,143
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Ever since you wanted to sign Barry Zito for several million next year I have completely ignored anything you say.

I wanted to sign him for 1 or 2 million over the 7 in his buyout that he will already get.
Thats when Timmy and Vogey were s**tty and Zito was pitching pretty well.

Again, I don't know why I have to keep justifying myself, but Timmy is clearly coming back next year and probably Vogey too, which means Zito becomes expendable. Even at 7 Mill.

If Vogey and Timmy were not coming back, then replacing 3/5 of your rotation is difficult to do in an off-season.

That was the rationale, s**t has changed.
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM ]
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs2m
It's 4 pm. Pence just strutted through the clubhouse, both arms raised. Big smile.


Originally posted by robniner:
Pence apparently in a happy mood in the clubhouse due to not being traded away.


cool. see that's another reason i'm partial to HP. he loves it here. Giants payroll = not my money!

HAHA. Sorry Phillies fans.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs2m
It's 4 pm. Pence just strutted through the clubhouse, both arms raised. Big smile.


Originally posted by robniner:
Pence apparently in a happy mood in the clubhouse due to not being traded away.


cool. see that's another reason i'm partial to HP. he loves it here. Giants payroll = not my money!

exactly. who knows, after all the talk about him willing to resign with us in the offseason despite being traded, other teams could have been turned off by that and wasn't willing to trade higher graded prospects. we can't just jump the gun about Sabean failing with trades because honestly, we don't know what teams may have been offering for Javy or Hunter.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Ever since you wanted to sign Barry Zito for several million next year I have completely ignored anything you say.

I wanted to sign him for 1 or 2 million over the 7 in his buyout that he will already get.
Thats when Timmy and Vogey were s**tty and Zito was pitching pretty well.

Again, I don't know why I have to keep justifying myself, but Timmy is clearly coming back next year and probably Vogey too, which means Zito becomes expendable. Even at 7 Mill.

If Vogey and Timmy were not coming back, then replacing 3/5 of your rotation is difficult to do in an off-season.

That was the rationale, s**t has changed.

You are so full of BS. Many of us said they should offer him 1M tops above the 7M buyout. TOPS. You wanted to pay him 7M over and above that. As for whether Lincecum and Vogey came back.... it should have NOTHING to do with overpaying a piece of crap like Barry Zito.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
We are the dumbest team in the league to not unload our pending FA's, especially the one THAT ALREADY SAID HE'D COME BACK.

One thing I am positive about. The Giants will drastically overpay Hunter Pence whether they trade him or not. Pence is not an elite or great player at all but he will be paid like one by Sabean.

Pence is on pace to play 162 in the outfield, something no outfielder in a Giants Uni has ever done.
He is also on pace for 20+ HRs and 20+ steals, few people in the league can do that.
He is a decent defender.
Great arm. Top 5 in assists I believe.
Good Speed.
He will hit anywhere from around .270 - .300

I'm not really sure what else you could ask of a player? He is a pretty damn good ball player, he just isnt great at anything, an X-factor would be he is great in the locker room. He is not a #4 hitter he should be hitting 5th or 6th. But that being said I'd rather over-pay for a guy who is playing everyday and does a lot of things well than a guy who can do a few things exceptionally well and maybe is often injured.

Not to mention he is a work out warrior and he will never pull an Aubrey Huff and come into the the season out of shape.

He's good and I like him as a player but he's headed for a decline and will want way too much money. If he loves it here so much he should take is QO and prove he deserves a long-term contract.
two things:
a. glad Pence is staying, hope we resign him. He isnt the reason we sucked this year.
b. shut up garcia
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
We are the dumbest team in the league to not unload our pending FA's, especially the one THAT ALREADY SAID HE'D COME BACK.

One thing I am positive about. The Giants will drastically overpay Hunter Pence whether they trade him or not. Pence is not an elite or great player at all but he will be paid like one by Sabean.

just heard KNBR talking about Pence and how he ranks with the other starting OFs in the MLB:

24th in AVG
23rd in HR
18th in RBIs
10th in salary (3rd among RFs)

i would still re-sign him but others will disagree i'm sure.

Sad part is, he's either 1st, 2nd or 3rd in most offensive categories on our team and we have nothing in the minors that can replace those numbers, and few free agents willing to play here that can do better as well. So we need him, and it sounds like he needs us if he's going to get paid big bucks for that type of production. It's sort of a marriage born from necessity.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs2m
It's 4 pm. Pence just strutted through the clubhouse, both arms raised. Big smile.


Originally posted by robniner:
Pence apparently in a happy mood in the clubhouse due to not being traded away.


cool. see that's another reason i'm partial to HP. he loves it here. Giants payroll = not my money!

exactly. who knows, after all the talk about him willing to resign with us in the offseason despite being traded, other teams could have been turned off by that and wasn't willing to trade higher graded prospects. we can't just jump the gun about Sabean failing with trades because honestly, we don't know what teams may have been offering for Javy or Hunter.

TRust me.. there were teams that would have given up prospect(s) for Javy Lopez. I just cannot for the life of me understand how he is on the team today.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,143
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You are so full of BS. Many of us said they should offer him 1M tops above the 7M buyout. TOPS. You wanted to pay him 7M over and above that. As for whether Lincecum and Vogey came back.... it should have NOTHING to do with overpaying a piece of crap like Barry Zito.

You have selective reading comprehension John. You mis-read my post.
Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs1m
Javier Lopez called it "a good day." Said he and Giants have already discussed his free agency and their mutual interest in returning.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
We are the dumbest team in the league to not unload our pending FA's, especially the one THAT ALREADY SAID HE'D COME BACK.

One thing I am positive about. The Giants will drastically overpay Hunter Pence whether they trade him or not. Pence is not an elite or great player at all but he will be paid like one by Sabean.

Pence is on pace to play 162 in the outfield, something no outfielder in a Giants Uni has ever done.
He is also on pace for 20+ HRs and 20+ steals, few people in the league can do that.
He is a decent defender.
Great arm. Top 5 in assists I believe.
Good Speed.
He will hit anywhere from around .270 - .300

I'm not really sure what else you could ask of a player? He is a pretty damn good ball player, he just isnt great at anything, an X-factor would be he is great in the locker room. He is not a #4 hitter he should be hitting 5th or 6th. But that being said I'd rather over-pay for a guy who is playing everyday and does a lot of things well than a guy who can do a few things exceptionally well and maybe is often injured.

Not to mention he is a work out warrior and he will never pull an Aubrey Huff and come into the the season out of shape.

He's good and I like him as a player but he's headed for a decline and will want way too much money. If he loves it here so much he should take is QO and prove he deserves a long-term contract.

I would not give him a penny over what they gave Pagan. 4/40 If he wants more than that he can walk.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,143
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
two things:
a. glad Pence is staying, hope we resign him. He isnt the reason we sucked this year.
b. shut up garcia

Why did they put the green monster in fenway?
ITS ALL ABOUT THE DECORATIONS
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You are so full of BS. Many of us said they should offer him 1M tops above the 7M buyout. TOPS. You wanted to pay him 7M over and above that. As for whether Lincecum and Vogey came back.... it should have NOTHING to do with overpaying a piece of crap like Barry Zito.

You have selective reading comprehension John. You mis-read my post.

Not I didnt. AND.. I agree with Rubber again. Just shut up
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com