LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Pill is on fiiiiiiiiiya!
Originally posted by jimrat:
Pill is on fiiiiiiiiiya!

Which probably means Bochy will bench him tomorrow.
Pill is on fiiiiiiiiiya!

He just did something Belt hasn't been able to do all year...have more than 5 hits in back-to-back games. Pill, in only his 7th start of the year just tied Belt's season high of 3 RBIs in a game. Just speaks to how little Belt has been able to produce this year, and how badly we need actual production from 1st.
So if Pill starts I see no reason why we won't threaten to break our own winning streak record
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Can't even f**king tank correctly.

Damn Giants. What the heck are they doing winning a game?

Seriously, we're not going to draft Rodon playing like that.
we're winning out
Pill and Kieschnick provided a spark. Hopefully it's a sign.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Pill is on fiiiiiiiiiya!

Which probably means Bochy will bench him tomorrow.

Go with the hot bat and Belt stays in the outfield
Great start tonight for 20 year-old Adalberto Mejia in San Jose. 6 innings, 1 earned run, 6 hits, 7Ks and only 1 walk. The only run was a HR in the 6th inning off a really good pitch (below the strike zone) that the batter reached down and poked just over the left-center field fence. The other hits were 4 bloops and a bunt single.

Kickham with a nice bounce-back start tonight in Fresno too, going 6.2 innings before giving up a hit to the Ranger's AAA affiliate.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Great start tonight for 20 year-old Adalberto Mejia in San Jose. 6 innings, 1 earned run, 6 hits, 7Ks and only 1 walk. The only run was a HR in the 6th inning off a really good pitch (below the strike zone) that the batter reached down and poked just over the left-center field fence. The other hits were 4 bloops and a bunt single.

Kickham with a nice bounce-back start tonight in Fresno too, going 6.2 innings before giving up a hit to the Ranger's AAA affiliate.

Is Mejia projected in the bullpen?

Originally posted by pdizo916:

One of the BA writers I read last week projected him as a #3/4-type of starter. But if for some reason that doesn't work out, he'd be a high quality arm out of the bullpen, no doubt.

The most impressive thing about him is his ability to command location. He wears out the corners and consistently hits the catchers target both inside and out. His fastball isn't special right now (90-92, sometimes touching 94), but I've read that he could be more consistently in the 92-95 range as he gets older/adds strength. Not sure about that, but it's still fun to watch a guy who really knows how to pitch at the age of 20.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 1, 2013 at 12:40 AM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
is it too soon for Pill the Thrill?
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Pretty much all decent pitching prospects are SP hopefuls. Converting to the pen is for when it looks like you just cant hack it as a starter. Hembree is an exception, but I think the Giants expect most of their top pitching prospects to be starters.
Originally posted by Garcia:
is it too soon for Pill the Thrill?

Yes.

Players usually get called up when theyre hot, and we're playing in a hitters park right now. Its not surprising that Pill has been hitting. Its common to see a player get called up, make an impact for a week or 2, and then cool off and remind everyone why they were at Fresno all season. We saw it with Perez earlier this year.

Pill is almost 29, and has already proven several times that he cant maintain production in the Majors. I really hope Bochy doesnt take a bunch of playing time away from Belt to play Pill. I like the guy, but his AB's are wasted in a lost season. We need to be using this 2nd half as an opportunity to get some promising young players some Major League AB's.

Pill will go cold and be sent back down, then called back up when rosters expand as a bench player.
Glad to see Pill raking and knowing Belt, it might be eating up his confidence since it seems he can't mentally handle the pressure. Being in a hitters' ballpark, I wonder if Belt would have played this well...

On a side note, i have tickets to next Wednesday's game and BART is about to resume their strike
Share 49ersWebzone