There are 241 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

What is the qualifying offer for Lincecum? 14 mil?

Please God no.

Around there, but that's $8M less than what he's making now, so if he takes it, he gets paid a more appropriate salary for his production. If he declines it, we can negotiate a better deal or let him walk and take the 1st round SP.

Not sure what constitutes an appropriate salary for his production the last two years but it sure as hell isn't 14 million/year.

Sabean needs to lower his asking price.

True, but it's more about the "chess game." If Timmy wants/gets more money somewhere else, he can walk and we get a high pick in return. If Timmy doesn't get more money on the open market, it gives Sabean the leverage he needs to craft a more reasonable offer. If Timmy accepts the qualifying offer, it's just a one year deal (not locked in long-term with a guy who's been wildly inconsistent recently). That gives us one more year to keep 4/5ths of the rotation in tact (along with Vogey), leaving only the 5th starting spot to be filled with Gaudin or a low-cost free agent.

I'd be cool with keeping Timmy for one year, $14M to keep the rotation going. It's a bridge to 2015 where we could see some of the prospects on staff:

Starter - Age in 2015
Madison Bumgarner (25)
Matt Cain (30)
FA starter (ideally, a top LHP)
Kyle Crick (22)
Chris Stratton (24) or possibly: Edwin Escobar (23) or Martin Agosta (24) or Adalberto Mejia (22) or Clayton Blackburn (22)

what if we could get Timmy for 2yrs/20 mill?
True, but it's more about the "chess game." If Timmy wants/gets more money somewhere else, he can walk and we get a high pick in return. If Timmy doesn't get more money on the open market, it gives Sabean the leverage he needs to craft a more reasonable offer. If Timmy accepts the qualifying offer, it's just a one year deal (not locked in long-term with a guy who's been wildly inconsistent recently). That gives us one more year to keep 4/5ths of the rotation in tact (along with Vogey), leaving only the 5th starting spot to be filled with Gaudin or a low-cost free agent.

I'd be cool with keeping Timmy for one year, $14M to keep the rotation going. It's a bridge to 2015 where we could see some of the prospects on staff:

Starter - Age in 2015
Madison Bumgarner (25)
Matt Cain (30)
Kyle Crick (22)
Chris Stratton (24) or possibly: Edwin Escobar (23) or Martin Agosta (24) or Adalberto Mejia (22) or Clayton Blackburn (22)

The G's like to "take their time" with their minor leaguers. I think in 2015, Crick, Stratton, or any pitcher will probably be at AAA. The only player I can see in the bigs in 2015 is Escobar because he's in AA already. Everyone else you mentioned are in A or lower.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Starter - Age in 2015
Madison Bumgarner (25)
Matt Cain (30)
Kyle Crick (22)

The G's like to "take their time" with their minor leaguers. I think in 2015, Crick, Stratton, or any pitcher will probably be at AAA. The only player I can see in the bigs in 2015 is Escobar because he's in AA already. Everyone else you mentioned are in A or lower.

and Escobar is pitching well right now in AA. If he stays on the role he is on, he could be fighting for our #5 rotation spot come next season.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
and Escobar is pitching well right now in AA. If he stays on the role he is on, he could be fighting for our #5 rotation spot come next season.

Maybe a mid season call up. Last time i checked, he got rocked in his first game. Plus, he plays for a "pitchers league" so his numbers should look impressive. Not hatin, jus sayin...
Roger Kieschnick is up.

Hardcore baseball fans will remember his uncle, Brooks Kieschnick. He was a journeyman RP, last with Milwaukee, who was so good at hitting he would regularly be used as a pinch hitter. Career .248 avg. with 16 HR in just 306 AB's.

Beating Gary Brown to the Majors is surprising (and disappointing)

Maybe a mid season call up. Last time i checked, he got rocked in his first game. Plus, he plays for a "pitchers league" so his numbers should look impressive. Not hatin, jus sayin...

I like what Crick is doing. I hope he can limit those walks. But even with that, his stats look dominate.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Roger Kieschnick is up.

Hardcore baseball fans will remember his uncle, Brooks Kieschnick. He was a journeyman RP, last with Milwaukee, who was so good at hitting he would regularly be used as a pinch hitter. Career .248 avg. with 16 HR in just 306 AB's.

Beating Gary Brown to the Majors is surprising (and disappointing)

Roger deserves the shot. Let's see what he can do.

I wish they call up Brown in Sept to at least showcase what he could potentially bring in 2014....
Check out the promotion coming up Thursday at the Giants' AA Richmond Flying Squirrels game.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130729&content_id=55160146&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t3410&sid=t3410

He dominated last night, 3 hits scattered over 7 1/3 with 9K's.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
He dominated last night, 3 hits scattered over 7 1/3 with 9K's.

such promise

Starter - Age in 2015
Madison Bumgarner (25)
Matt Cain (30)
Kyle Crick (22)

Not always with their pitchers though. Timmy only spent a few months in the minor leagues before being called up, MadBum spent around 2 years and saw his first major league action a month after his 20th birthday and Cainer spent 3 years before making his debut. By 2015, Crick will have spent 3.5 years in the minors while guys like Stratton and Agosta would be looking at 2+ years each after spending 3 years in college.

Even more surprising, Escobar is already in his 5th minor league season so he's young but very experienced. So I think they'll move Crick along just like they did Cain (about 3 years in the minors) and could see them giving Escobar a shot in 2015 also. Not to mention, given his 40-man roster spot, I wouldn't be surprised to see Escobar called up in September.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM ]

???

The Cal League is hardly a pitchers league, and he dominated...2.89 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 92 Ks, 17 walks and only 3 HRs allowed in 74.2 innings pitched for San Jose.
What is the qualifying offer for Lincecum? 14 mil?

Please God no.

Around there, but that's $8M less than what he's making now, so if he takes it, he gets paid a more appropriate salary for his production. If he declines it, we can negotiate a better deal or let him walk and take the 1st round SP.

Not sure what constitutes an appropriate salary for his production the last two years but it sure as hell isn't 14 million/year.

Sabean needs to lower his asking price.

Starter - Age in 2015
Madison Bumgarner (25)
Matt Cain (30)
Kyle Crick (22)

That was one hell of an explanation my good man.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
What's the point of the green monster? What the point of the rock feature in the angels park, the high fences in some parks, or low ones in others. It gives the stadium character. Each team should have a unique feature that stands out.

The green monster is there because otherwise dudes would be hitting 310ft HRs. Rocks are not apart of the dimensions at angels stadium, they are beyond the fence, not in the field of play.

Our stadium is known for the beautiful surroundings, mccovey cove, the coke bottle/glove... what the f**k do we need a triples alley for?

I like it. What the f**k, you retarded? Lol. It gives it character so its not a cookie cutter field. I am not continuing this quote fest. I don't have a f**king say if it stays or goes anyways. Lulz GGG

I haven't heard one logical reason for a stupid ass triples alley, that s**t needs to GTFO.

The original "point" of triples alley was to offset the fact that the RF wall was so close. When they designed the "splash hit" idea, they wanted it to be a common thing they could make the stadiums' trademark. What nobody knew until after we started playing baseball there, was that the winds wrap around the stadium and blow inward towards the field, knocking down almost anything hit that direction.

Our stadium is a pitchers park. We build our team around it, and weve won 3 pennants and 2 WS playing there in just 13 seasons. Its part of what makes AT&T Park unique. It is such a beautifully designed stadium. There are drawbacks to the 421 power alley, and then there are advantages. Teams who bring the fences in only do so because they know offense sells more tickets than pitching. More home runs boost attendance.

Not only would cutting off triples alley look ugly, but it would take away from the character of the park.

Like I said before, the Giants should focus more on scouting their hitters better, not blaming the lack of offense on the park dimensions. Besides, the visiting team gets "AT&T'd" just as often, if not more often than the Giants do. The Giants have 63 splash hits, and opposing teams have only 29. Even if you took away all the ones hit by Bonds, its dead even.

Im not sure people realize how much of an advantage the dimensions give us. Not just to Giants pitchers, who know how to use the dead part of the yard to their advantage, but also to opposing RF who are unfamiliar with playing the bricks and gap. How many times have we seen visiting teams screw something up on defense out there?

Its not a HR hitters yard, and neither was Candlestick. Its the best stadium in baseball, and theres no need to mess with it. If we pulled the walls in, every time an opposing player hit a ball out to right center, youd be saying "that wouldve been an out!" Just the look on the faces of the other team after they CRUSH a ball, and it gets caught, is worth it. Especially teams who play in bandboxes.

So in summary, you cant change the wind, which is the real culprit. The Giants need to scout better hitters than wont need to use the dimensions as an excuse. And the fans should stop whining about the nicest park in the Big Leagues.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jul 30, 2013 at 3:11 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone