2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Shut up Garcia

stop being a jerk.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'm sure I'm in the minority opinion here, but I like the advantage that the park gives us. So far, it's netted us 3 WS appearances and 2 rings in the last 11 years, so I'm not overly interested in changing things too much. And yes, this current product on the field is terrible to watch, but they put almost the same guys out there last year and they freakin put on a show every night!

When it works, it works beautifully and results in playoff appearances and championships....when it's bad, it's a train wreck to watch. So I take the good with the bad.

you think the park dimensions really have that big of a role in what got us championships?

lol. GGG
Shut up Garcia

stop being a jerk.

I'm sure I'm in the minority opinion here, but I like the advantage that the park gives us. So far, it's netted us 3 WS appearances and 2 rings in the last 11 years, so I'm not overly interested in changing things too much. And yes, this current product on the field is terrible to watch, but they put almost the same guys out there last year and they freakin put on a show every night!

When it works, it works beautifully and results in playoff appearances and championships....when it's bad, it's a train wreck to watch. So I take the good with the bad.

you think the park dimensions really have that big of a role in what got us championships?

Nope.

[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jul 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Nope.

A solo HR turned into a double in a game we won 9-0... lol
Shut up Garcia

stop being a jerk.

We definitely didn't have the best roster in either year. The teams were built around the dimensions of the park (great pitching, speed in the OF and especially the ability to turn deep line drives that are HRs in nearly every other park, into long outs). We effectively neutralized other teams biggest weapons, and leveled the playing field, literally.

So yes, great pitching, Buster Posey, timely hitting and a really big ballpark were the key ingredients.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Someone must have asked Hank Schulman if Belt would be optioned back to Fresno. He says it's doubtful.

No reason to.

Anyone think they should move the fences in? I think it's pretty s**tty that a 420 ft fly ball is an out in our park... kinda sucks IMO.

only in triples alley. either that or allow steroids legally.

if they are going to do it in RCF, they need to in LCF as well... 400+FT in LCF.

Our park is just fine the way it is. Get better pitching and a RH power hitting LF and we would be just fine. The park is not the reason we arent winning now thats for sure.
Nope.

Score when that happened: 0-0. If Kinsler hits that HR instead of getting stranded, who knows what happens. There's a reason why it's 2nd in the least amount of runs score and HR's hit this year.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jul 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM ]

Javier's last photo op with the team?
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Jul 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM ]
It seems that opposing batters get "AT&T'd" more than Giants batters.

Not sure if that's true or not, but it seems that way to me.

If it is true, that's a major advantage for us.
The problem isnt nearly as much to do with the park dimensions as the wind.

The back corner of triples alley is extreme, but if you hit one well into that gap, its probably not getting caught anyways. The real issue with the park is the strong winds that blow in from the south, wrap around that RF corner of the stadium, and knocks balls down. The RF porch is short, but you really have to club one to cut that wind.

I think you just leave everything as is. The problem isnt dimensions, its mediocre hitting. We just dont have a bandbox to hide it like some teams do.

Do a better job of scouting hitters and leave our beautiful and unique park alone. We benefit from the pitcher friendly atmosphere just as much.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jul 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
It seems that opposing batters get "AT&T'd" more than Giants batters.

Not sure if that's true or not, but it seems that way to me.

If it is true, that's a major advantage for us.

Definitely seems that way sometimes, but our guys might disagree.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM ]

• MuggD
  • Veteran
No need to mess with the Park's dimensions. lol wtf.
Originally posted by Muggins:
No need to mess with the Park's dimensions. lol wtf.

Right? It's perfect the way it is....as others have said, just get better major league hitters and the problem is solved.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Nope.

Score when that happened: 0-0. If Kinsler hits that HR instead of getting stranded, who knows what happens. There's a reason why it's 2nd in the least amount of runs score and HR's hit this year.

No other park in the majors has dimensions like this for a reason, it's time to get with it. Tons of parks have modified there dimensions for a better product.
No other park in the majors has dimensions like this for a reason, it's time to get with it. Tons of parks have modified there dimensions for a better product.

Better product? Fans love to see a ball hit in triples alley, and love splash hits. The field is beautiful. Why would we change something that produced 2 championships and continues to sell out?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Better product? Fans love to see a ball hit in triples alley, and love splash hits. The field is beautiful. Why would we change something that produced 2 championships and continues to sell out?

I love seeing 420 ft outs, dont you?

Most fly balls get caught in triples alley because the RFer is practically already in RCF.

And I cant count how many times on the radio I hear John Miller or Dave Flemming say, "If that ball is hit in any other ball park thats probably a home run"... or "he just got ATT'd" its a joke. What is the purpose of triples alley anyway?

Why do we need it?
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone