LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Time to thow the season for Gordon.
[ Edited by smithgdwg on Jul 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Hopper:
We currently have the sixth overall pick. Might as well look forward to a top 10 pick.

Draft an outfielder.

NO! Draft pitching. They're horrible on evaluating position players besides Posey.

They have been but the Giants need to draft a homegrown stud hitter.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
We currently have the sixth overall pick. Might as well look forward to a top 10 pick.

Draft an outfielder.

NO! Draft pitching. They're horrible on evaluating position players besides Posey.

They have been but the Giants need to draft a homegrown stud hitter.

Or trade for one with our stellar pitching.

I don't know about you guys, but I am glad that the G's will have some money to work with but I do not trust Sabes to be fiscally responsible. I'm afraid what kind of players he'll get with a relative weak FA market.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Good thing is that top 10 is protected from free agent signings. Could reboot pretty quickly.

Very good point.

It's been tough watching the Dbacks and Rockies get potential top of the rotation starting pitchers with Archie Bradley&Jonathan Gray with their top 10 picks the past few years. Going to be nice to get in that Top 10 and possibly grab us one.
[ Edited by Hopper on Jul 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM ]

Draft an outfielder.

lol the Giants cant even take credit for Posey. He was a slam dunk pick. By far the best player on the board when we were up.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Mac Williamson hit 18 and 19th Hr last night, hope this guy keeps it up.
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol the Giants cant even take credit for Posey. He was a slam dunk pick. By far the best player on the board when we were up.

c'mon dude. Don't be a hater. There was 3 or 4 other teams that passed him up in the draft...............The Giants could've easily been one of them.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
The Giants have hit 7 homeruns in July. Yes, this is the 28th of the month.

is that the lowest or highest they have hit in a month this year?

feels like higherst lol

c'mon dude. Don't be a hater. There was 3 or 4 other teams that passed him up in the draft...............The Giants could've easily been one of them.

Its 100% true. In that draft there was a very small handful of players that were considered "elite". Posey was one of them. Even if we already had 10 top catcher prospects he was the obvious pick there. It didnt take any genius scouting to make that pick. The Marlins took a C right after us. Kyle Skipworth. Anyone who thinks the Giants were mulling between the 2 is crazy. It was Posey all the way.
i don't think we are as bad as our record, we got a lot of tough breaks this year, i don't think we need to rebuild but just reload in the offseason and we will be contenders to win it all again.

You guys remember when we scored? That was cool
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
You guys remember when we scored? That was cool

When was that?

Its 100% true. In that draft there was a very small handful of players that were considered "elite". Posey was one of them. Even if we already had 10 top catcher prospects he was the obvious pick there. It didnt take any genius scouting to make that pick. The Marlins took a C right after us. Kyle Skipworth. Anyone who thinks the Giants were mulling between the 2 is crazy. It was Posey all the way.

I see what you're saying but there were teams that passed on him. If drafting Posey was such a slam dunk, those other teams didn't think so.

It KINDA reminds me of the crabtree situation a few years back. Do you NOT give the 49ers credit for drafting the best player available? I give credit to teams that drafts smart.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
i don't think we are as bad as our record, we got a lot of tough breaks this year, i don't think we need to rebuild but just reload in the offseason and we will be contenders to win it all again.

Its our own fault for the pispoor offseason. Sabean sat on his hands. We didnt address LF, we locked ourselves into 3 overpriced contracts (78 mil on Pagan, Scutaro, and Affeldt), and didnt address the rotation depth at all. Youd think after lucky, pitcher injury-free seasons in 2010, 2011, and 2012 with no backup plan, we wouldnt have tried our luck a 4th year in a row.
Its our own fault for the pispoor offseason. Sabean sat on his hands. We didnt address LF, we locked ourselves into 3 overpriced contracts (78 mil on Pagan, Scutaro, and Affeldt), and didnt address the rotation depth at all. Youd think after lucky, pitcher injury-free seasons in 2010, 2011, and 2012 with no backup plan, we wouldnt have tried our luck a 4th year in a row.

This is true. I didn't mind the Scutaro contract because they don't have another option there. But other than that, you hit the nail on the head.

Luckily, there's going to be money coming off the books.
Share 49ersWebzone