LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 323 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

The untouchables are
Buster Posey
Madison Bumgarner

Absolutely won't get traded
Angel Pagan season ending injury
Matt Cain (I think the Giants should look for a way to shut him down early, wear and tear from previous years have caught up with him this season)
Jermey Affeldt Contract plus DL stint makes it impossible

Cheap cost controlled players must take a big offer to get moved
Brandon Belt
Brandon Crawford

Dangle on the market but only pull the trigger if a team substantially over pays
Pablo Sandoval
Sergio Romo
Jose Mijares (controlled through next season)

Dangle on the market and see if we can get out of future salary commitments and maybe get a mid level prospect
Santiago Casillia
Marco Scuturo

All contracts which expire at season end should be moved except Hunter Pence if teams are not offering something significantly better than a 2014 1st round sandwich pick.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Found this article interesting, it's called The Curse of the Dawg

http://m.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/are-the-giants-suffering-from-curse-of-the-dawg/Content?oid=2521365

i believe it.

Seems plausible.

are you pooping on my superstitions bruh?

lol. Definitely was a fun read though, and it sucks they're treating the Dawg that way.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
i would trade everyone on this team besides belt, posey, crawford, and bumgarner. I don't think this team will trade anybody, doe. I knew that the Pagan and Affeldt contracts were going to hurt the team. That's 17 million down the toilet.

BTW, how's melky looking this year?

Hasn't done much.....hitting .280ish with 3 HRs, 30 RBIs, 36 runs, 2 SBs.
why aren't you guys saying Cain is untouchable? makes me sick
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

We're going to give him the benefit of the doubt due to his track record. Also, no one will trade for Cain unless the G's eat up most of the salary....

Because he shouldnt be. If someone wants to overpay for Cain with his $100 million dollar contract I would listen for sure. Posey and Bumgarner should truly be the only untouchables on this team.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Because he shouldnt be. If someone wants to overpay for Cain with his $100 million dollar contract I would listen for sure. Posey and Bumgarner should truly be the only untouchables on this team.

I hear you....if someone blows us away with an offer for Cain, they have to make the deal. But I don't think Cain's salary will be much of an issue going forward once Tim/Zito's contracts come off the books.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I hear you....if someone blows us away with an offer for Cain, they have to make the deal. But I don't think Cain's salary will be much of an issue going forward once Tim/Zito's contracts come off the books.

Exactly! the Giants should only hang up the phone immediately if Posey or Bumgarner were mentioned. With everyone else, the Giants should at least listen to what other teams are offering but just because Giants should be willing to listen doesn't mean the Giants should trade a particular player if the would be return is insufficient.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
You would be selling low on Cain right now.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

This. Keep Posey and MadBum and put everyone else on the table. I'd trade Cain if I can get couple of good prospects. C'mon Yankees - you need pitching!

Free the dawg!!
Originally posted by Hopper:
You would be selling low on Cain right now.

I agree with you that we would be selling extremely low. In fact long term I'm not concerned with Matt Cain. I'm optimistic when his arm can get the proper rest it needs, he will have a bounce back season next year. If he has another bad year next season then I will start to get concerned.

We are talking about absolutes where the conversation was if someone blew us a way with a huge offer for Cain it should be considered. I haven't seen a poster here advocating that we should dump Cain for fringe prospects.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:41 PM ]
Originally posted by 4ML:

This. Keep Posey and MadBum and put everyone else on the table. I'd trade Cain if I can get couple of good prospects. C'mon Yankees - you need pitching!

i cant believe this, a true fan of the Giants, wouldnt want Cain traded. He is just as valuable as Bumgarner.

i cant believe this, a true fan of the Giants, wouldnt want Cain traded. He is just as valuable as Bumgarner.

No he isnt. Bumgarner is LH, younger, and has a better future. I think any big league team would take Bumgarner ahead of Cain.

Even though I don't agree with it, I can understand why some people believe that Cain is not untouchable. However, you're crazy if you're willing to trade Cain for a couple "good" prospects. Even John and others who are for it would think that's ridiculous. It would take a handful of top prospects who are near MLB ready at the very least to acquire Cain.
Share 49ersWebzone