There are 459 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Heard on knbr giants are in the drivers seat to get Matt garza, radnich show

This would be idiotic since Matt Garza is a FA at the end of the season. At this point I wouldn't even give up fringe prospects for a two month rental. If we are going to buy I much rather try to get Peavy and Rios from the Whitesox if taking on salary and only parting with marginal prospects would get the job done since neither of them would be free agents until after the 2014 season.

I'm hoping it's just speculation and this won't happen. We already have a depleted farm system, and to be trading from our depleted system for a two month rental at this point would be extremely stupid

The farm system isn't depleted of quality arms, those arms are just a few years away. The quality isn't extremely high (other than Crick and maybe Stratton as a projection), but the quantity of really good starting pitching prospects is definitely there (e.g., Blackburn, Agosta, Escobar, Mejia, Blach, Gregorio and Flores).

Most minor league prospects (even the high-quality ones) are hit-and-miss at the major league level, so it wouldn't be a terrible move so long as we don't give away Crick. IMO, nobody else we have individually comes close to Crick and he should be the only untouchable. The rest, who knows???? Of the many prospects we've given away over the Sabean years, only a handful have turned into useful major leaguers and only a few that I can think of (Nathan, Grilli and likely Wheeler) have been/will be difference-makers.

If it's someone like Gary Brown and Clayton Blackburn, I'd do that deal, though I'm not sure the Cubs would accept it based on how the experts view our prospects.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM ]
I just dont see Matt Garza coming in and putting the Giants over the top. Would he make them better? Sure he would. Anyone that takes Barry Zito out of the rotation makes the Giants better. Would it be enough to put them over LA? I seriously doubt it. WIth this Giants lineup you need much more than just Garza.

If the price is Crick or Stratton I would laugh at the Cubs.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I just dont see Matt Garza coming in and putting the Giants over the top. Would he make them better? Sure he would. Anyone that takes Barry Zito out of the rotation makes the Giants better. Would it be enough to put them over LA? I seriously doubt it. WIth this Giants lineup you need much more than just Garza.

If the price is Crick or Stratton I would laugh at the Cubs.

Garza might excel here though considering he's a fly-ball pitcher and AT&T is huge. I'm definitely interested if the price isn't too high and he nets a pick with a qualifying offer (I think he would, not positive though).
Please no to Garza... the price tag scares me and. And I agree with everyone here, it won't be enough to put us over the top. Our bullpen still blows and, while I'm optimistic our offense can pick it up, Pence did slump the entire second half last year, and there's no guarantee Pablo will turn things around this year. Just too many question marks to risk it all this year.

Bud Norris, on the other hand, would make me very happy.

And Chris Sale? Well...
Would bringing in Garza result in a Beltran type of scenario where he just dips after playing here for a couple months?
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Would bringing in Garza result in a Beltran type of scenario where he just dips after playing here for a couple months?

Garza will test the FA market and demand a lot of money. So, most likely it will be exactly the same as Beltran.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM ]

With Zito and possibly Timmy coming off the books, we'd have enough to re-sign him. Just depends on whether he's worth a $80-100 million contract and if he wants to stay.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

With Zito and possibly Timmy coming off the books, we'd have enough to re-sign him. Just depends on whether he's worth a $80-100 million contract and if he wants to stay.

Not a chance in hell I would give Matt Garza anywhere near that kind of money. Not with his injury history. Forgetabout it.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

Not a chance in hell I would give Matt Garza anywhere near that kind of money. Not with his injury history. Forgetabout it.

I'd give him 4/$50 max. I think he's going to get offers in the crazy range though, probably from the Dodgers.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The farm system isn't depleted of quality arms, those arms are just a few years away. The quality isn't extremely high (other than Crick and maybe Stratton as a projection), but the quantity of really good starting pitching prospects is definitely there (e.g., Blackburn, Agosta, Escobar, Mejia, Blach, Gregorio and Flores).

Most minor league prospects (even the high-quality ones) are hit-and-miss at the major league level, so it wouldn't be a terrible move so long as we don't give away Crick. IMO, nobody else we have individually comes close to Crick and he should be the only untouchable. The rest, who knows???? Of the many prospects we've given away over the Sabean years, only a handful have turned into useful major leaguers and only a few that I can think of (Nathan, Grilli and likely Wheeler) have been/will be difference-makers.

If it's someone like Gary Brown and Clayton Blackburn, I'd do that deal, though I'm not sure the Cubs would accept it based on how the experts view our prospects.

It's depleted of offensive players and the upper minors is depleted although you are correct we got some interesting arms in the lower levels. Garza won't put us over the top and since he is a rental, we wouldn't even be able to give him a Qualifying offer since he is an in season rental.

If it's just a KNBR host trying to stir up interest and create speculation, then obviously I wouldn't hold Sabean accountable for that. It just makes no sense to trade prospects for rentals this season, unless we win the next 7 games and cut the deficit to 2 or 3 games but I don't this happening.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Jul 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM ]

It's depleted of offensive players and the upper minors is depleted although you are correct we got some interesting arms in the lower levels. Garza won't put us over the top and since he is a rental, we wouldn't even be able to give him a Qualifying offer since he is an in season rental.

If it's just a KNBR host trying to stir up interest and create speculation, then obviously I wouldn't hold Sabean accountable for that. It just makes no sense to trade prospects for rentals this season, unless we win the next 7 games and cut the deficit to 2 or 3 games but I don't this happening.

Good info Dave. You are 100% right. A mid season trade does eliminate the Qualifying offer. Trading for him makes Zero sense right now.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Good info Dave. You are 100% right. A mid season trade does eliminate the Qualifying offer. Trading for him makes Zero sense right now.

if we can get him for Gary Brown and some other average prospects then to me its worth it.
I don't think the Giants should trade for anyone this year. But the G's have to make a quick decision on what to do with Pablo. He's a FA after next year and I don't think he's worth big money. He cannot stay healthy, he's continuously overweight, and he cannot continuously carry a team on offense like Posey. Within the next six months may be the best time to trade him IF Pablo isn't in the long-term plans for the Giants. Pence will be another hard decision to make. Do they bring him back and overpay him, or do they offer the qualifying offer to him and watch him sign with another team?

Unless you can put together a similar package of players that the Dodgers gave to Miami for Nolasco, who is essentially the same pitcher and in the same FA situation. LA gave up two older, mediocre RPs and one young, promising-but-struggling SP to add Nolasco to their rotation.

If the Giants can do something similar, I say it's worth it. Garza is good for nearly 7 innings per start this year, and would replace Zito who is only averaging about 5.1 innings per start. That alone takes a huge burden off our mediocre bullpen....then throw in the fact that Garza's RA9 is around 3.3 compared to Zito's nearly 5.6, Garza gives us a better shot at winning those starts and it's not even close.

I say if the price is right, they have to do it and work to re-sign him (he's a Fresno kid). If they're asking too much, I agree, don't make the deal.
thanks fellas
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com