There are 46 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
its seems the majority of us fans are reading to give up on CF Gary Brown.

He hasn't given us any reason not to since his breakout year in Single-A. He's a speed guy who has a low batting average, strikes out way too much and has a horrible SB percentage.
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I think Juan Perez could develop into the same type of player as Gary Brown, so I'd be willing to deal Brown if he brought back a quality starting pitcher.

Given now that Gary Brown's ceiling is a 4th outfielder at best, I would be willing to trade him for anyone who could positively contribute on a MLB roster for a couple of seasons.

I agree. Like I said I would be willing to move him with one of our younger pitchers not named Stratton or Crick for Norris. However, it seems like other teams are interested in Norris and Houston is holding out for 2 top prospects. I certainly do not want to overpay for him.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the 2nd half with Timmy, Gaudin, and Vogelsong. They need 2 of these guys to be part of the rotation next year along with adding one more. I think 2015 will be the year that Crick or another young pitcher can come up and make the rotation
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think Juan Perez could develop into the same type of player as Gary Brown, so I'd be willing to deal Brown if he brought back a quality starting pitcher.

Given now that Gary Brown's ceiling is a 4th outfielder at best, I would be willing to trade him for anyone who could positively contribute on a MLB roster for a couple of seasons.

I agree. Like I said I would be willing to move him with one of our younger pitchers not named Stratton or Crick for Norris. However, it seems like other teams are interested in Norris and Houston is holding out for 2 top prospects. I certainly do not want to overpay for him.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the 2nd half with Timmy, Gaudin, and Vogelsong. They need 2 of these guys to be part of the rotation next year along with adding one more. I think 2015 will be the year that Crick or another young pitcher can come up and make the rotation

I might be in the minority, but I wouldn't mind trading Stratton for Norris. At the very least I'd rather keep Blackburn over Stratton. He's 22 years old, pitching in low-A Agusta and has an ERA a shade under 4. I would be willing to deal him for a proven No. 3 starter who'd we have control of for at least 2 more years.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

I might be in the minority, but I wouldn't mind trading Stratton for Norris. At the very least I'd rather keep Blackburn over Stratton. He's 22 years old, pitching in low-A Agusta and has an ERA a shade under 4. I would be willing to deal him for a proven No. 3 starter who'd we have control of for at least 2 more years.

Crick is certainly the only untouchable in our system.

He hasn't given us any reason not to since his breakout year in Single-A. He's a speed guy who has a low batting average, strikes out way too much and has a horrible SB percentage.

I agree, if he still has some value lets deal him in a package for Norris. I really like Perez and cant wait till he has Torres job.

I agree, if he still has some value lets deal him in a package for Norris. I really like Perez and cant wait till he has Torres job.

I think this is probably the best thing to do. He had one hot streak in AAA last month where he seemed to turn it around but since then he's gone back down to normal levels. Aside from his 12 HR's, he doesn't do a lot of what you'd expect out of a traditional CF besides play decent defense.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

I think this is probably the best thing to do. He had one hot streak in AAA last month where he seemed to turn it around but since then he's gone back down to normal levels. Aside from his 12 HR's, he doesn't do a lot of what you'd expect out of a traditional CF besides play decent defense.

who do we value more as a young arm between Blackburn and Stratton? (I know Crick is #1)

who do we value more as a young arm between Blackburn and Stratton? (I know Crick is #1)

I would say Stratton is valued higher. He was a #1 pick just last year compared to Blackburn being a 16th rd pick. More likely to have the bigger upside although he is 3 years older.

If I had to guess, the team probably values Stratton more given their investment in him. IMO though, Blackburn has more long-term upside.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM ]

If I had to guess, the team probably values Stratton more given their investment investment in him. IMO though, Blackburn has more long-term upside.

so could a package like Blackburn & Brown be enough to get us Bud Norris?

We should just stop it with the Cal St Fullerton alumni already.

Dante Powell, Aaron Rowand, Gary Brown.......

I would say Stratton is valued higher. He was a #1 pick just last year compared to Blackburn being a 16th rd pick. More likely to have the bigger upside although he is 3 years older.

For what it's worth, here some pitchers who I think rank higher in the depth chart than Stratton,

Edwin Escobar Richmond recently promoted
Kyle Crick San Jose
Ty Blach San Jose
Clayton Blackburn San Jose
Martin Agosta Augusta
Joan Gregorio Augusta

I'm sorry but Chris Stratton is 22 turn 23 next month in low a ball in Augusta, has a 3.96 ERA and has a WHIP of 1.33, this is not someone I would call an untouchable.

Here is my offer to Houston, Gary Brown, Joe Panik, and Chris Stratton for Bud Norris. Our first round picks in 2010, 2011, and 2012 don't look promising to me one bit maybe by combing all three of them maybe we could get a decent major leaguer for a couple of years.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Jul 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM ]

If I had to guess, the team probably values Stratton more given their investment in him. IMO though, Blackburn has more long-term upside.

so could a package like Blackburn & Brown be enough to get us Bud Norris?

I think so...they get a guy in Brown who was once highly rated and is pretty close to being major league ready (in theory), and a young RHP in Blackburn whose underlying MiLB pitching stats are stellar.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM ]
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
For what it's worth, here some pitchers who I think rank higher in the depth chart than Stratton,

Kyle Crick San Jose
Ty Blach San Jose
Martin Agosta Augusta
Joan Gregorio Augusta

I'm sorry but Chris Stratton is 22 turn 23 next month in low a ball in Augusta, has a 3.96 ERA and has a WHIP of 1.33, this is not someone I would call an untouchable.

Here is my offer to Houston, Gary Brown, Joe Panik, and Chris Stratton for Bud Norris. Our first round picks in 2010, 2011, and 2012 don't look promising to me one bit maybe by combing all three of them maybe we could get a decent major leaguer for a couple of years.

sadddddd
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM ]

Kyle Crick San Jose
Ty Blach San Jose
Martin Agosta Augusta
Joan Gregorio Augusta

You are just going by their stats this year. You have to consider where they were drafted and their upside potential. I seriously doubt that the Giants would have him 7th on their depth chart.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com