Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by robniner:
You guys better figure out who to sacrifice for Norris because I would hate it if the Dodgers get the hometown guy.

Yeah I'm definitely on the Norris bandwagon. Time to start rebuilding the bottom half of this rotation. I feel like we could spare a couple young pitching prospects considering we have quite a few. Plus, like John said, Norris is under control for more than this season.

I think the Giants absolutley need to pull the trigger on Norris if the price is reasonable. What would be a fair price? Gary Brown and one of our young pitchers not named Crick or Stratton? I would offer Brown and Kickham and see if they would bite.

Brown and Kickham wouldn't get it done. Maybe Brown/Agosta or Brown/Susac/Kickham or Brown/Escobar.....guys with a little more upside would have to be included.

I dont want to include Susac. Brown/Blackburn?

Brown and Blackburn might be interesting to them. I just think that if you want quality, you have to give up quality and to secure a guy like Norris (who would likely be our #3) you have to give up someone with legit potential. Given our current starting catcher, I think we're in a position to give up a prospect like Susac if it nets us a quality starter like Norris.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM ]
Timmy Is Not Going Anywhere

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/2013071854038474/

If the money was right, I'd love to have Timmy back.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
You guys better figure out who to sacrifice for Norris because I would hate it if the Dodgers get the hometown guy.

Yeah I'm definitely on the Norris bandwagon. Time to start rebuilding the bottom half of this rotation. I feel like we could spare a couple young pitching prospects considering we have quite a few. Plus, like John said, Norris is under control for more than this season.

I think the Giants absolutley need to pull the trigger on Norris if the price is reasonable. What would be a fair price? Gary Brown and one of our young pitchers not named Crick or Stratton? I would offer Brown and Kickham and see if they would bite.

Brown and Kickham wouldn't get it done. Maybe Brown/Agosta or Brown/Susac/Kickham or Brown/Escobar.....guys with a little more upside would have to be included.

I dont want to include Susac. Brown/Blackburn?

Brown and Blackburn might be interesting to them. I just think that if you want quality, you have to give up quality and to secure a guy like Norris (who would likely be our #3) you have to give up someone with legit potential. Given our current starting catcher, I think we're in a position to give up a prospect like Susac if it nets us a quality starter like Norris.

I'm just saying that I would prefer to deal a pitcher and Brown . Susac could really be an important guy for the Giants considering how bad their backup catchers are now.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran

we can only hope we have witnessed Timmy become a real "Pitcher" who relies on craft, not raw freakish stuff.... maybe he has figured it out. maybe he has evolved into the next phase of his career.

we can only hope.

the freak abides.
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM ]

He must feel sick to think about how much money he cost himself. The Giants originally offered the Cain contract to Lincecum, and he said he wanted to hold off. Now instead of 120 mil. hes going to probably get a 3/30 deal. Maybe 4/50 if he pitches well the rest of the way and proves he can be consistent.

I think 3/30 is pretty fair though, for what he is now. Considering the Giants are his original club, play close to where hes from, and know how to handle his mechanics, im assuming he will take a small discount to stay here. I dont see any other team making a significantly higher offer for him, considering he still draws the same questions as he did on draft day.

BTW, Lincecum's no-hitter is now available on iTunes for 2.99, for anyone whos interested. I always buy the playoff games and no-hitters when theyre released.
FILE UNDER: To be used for future reference....

• teeohh
  • Veteran
I want winners!
Originally posted by Niners99:

He must feel sick to think about how much money he cost himself. The Giants originally offered the Cain contract to Lincecum, and he said he wanted to hold off. Now instead of 120 mil. hes going to probably get a 3/30 deal. Maybe 4/50 if he pitches well the rest of the way and proves he can be consistent.

I think 3/30 is pretty fair though, for what he is now. Considering the Giants are his original club, play close to where hes from, and know how to handle his mechanics, im assuming he will take a small discount to stay here. I dont see any other team making a significantly higher offer for him, considering he still draws the same questions as he did on draft day.

BTW, Lincecum's no-hitter is now available on iTunes for 2.99, for anyone whos interested. I always buy the playoff games and no-hitters when theyre released.

Yah from a personal financial standpoint, his decision was disastrous...but it did work out brilliantly for the team. And for what he is now, I definitely think $10-11M per is fair, so long as it's in the 2-3 year range. He's just been so inconsistent the last few years that even if he finishes this season, you can't really count on him repeating that success. He's a total crapshoot at this stage of his career.
Yah from a personal financial standpoint, his decision was disastrous...but it did work out brilliantly for the team. And for what he is now, I definitely think $10-11M per is fair, so long as it's in the 2-3 year range. He's just been so inconsistent the last few years that even if he finishes this season, you can't really count on him repeating that success. He's a total crapshoot at this stage of his career.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having Lincecum on a 3-4 year deal in the 10-12M range. My idea would be Lincecum could start one more year and then move Lincecum to the closer role once Romo's contract expires next season. I may be in the minority but long term I like Lincecum more than Romo in terms of a long term closer.

For now I agree with Sabean's stance that he doesn't envision trading Timmy for a couple reasons. Even though I think Giants should sell off a few parts in the last 72 hours before the trading deadline (should things not improve), at the same time the team should be given the full 10 game home stand to try to turn their season around before raising the white flag.

The other reason is because I don't think Timmy will fetch a top 50 prospect. Now if a team like Detroit were to suddenly offer Nick Castellonas for Lincecum and the Giants are knocked out of the race, by the end of the month, I would hope Sabean would reconsider his stance.
its seems the majority of us fans are reading to give up on CF Gary Brown.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
FILE UNDER: To be used for future reference....

wtf is this s**t
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
its seems the majority of us fans are reading to give up on CF Gary Brown.
I think Juan Perez could develop into the same type of player as Gary Brown, so I'd be willing to deal Brown if he brought back a quality starting pitcher.
I think Juan Perez could develop into the same type of player as Gary Brown, so I'd be willing to deal Brown if he brought back a quality starting pitcher.

Given now that Gary Brown's ceiling is a 4th outfielder at best, I would be willing to trade him for anyone who could positively contribute on a MLB roster for a couple of seasons.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Given now that Gary Brown's ceiling is a 4th outfielder at best, I would be willing to trade him for anyone who could positively contribute on a MLB roster for a couple of seasons.

you never know. some dudes are late bloomers
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com